What is wrong with some people?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
offended.jpeg

My mother and I got marched across the runway to the plane in Faro with bayonets in our backs just after the Portuguese revolution in 1974.
I bet that was fun. :)

Flying in or out of Belfast "you" still sometimes have to walk across the tarmac but it wouldn't be easy to get there without a going through the channels.

No, it's not really logical - any colour/colour combination in any advert could be investigated by offence miners and found offensive to someone somewhere.
I agree that if someone digs hard enough on any advert they can probably find a tenuous link to something that may possibly offend someone.

However there's nothing to be gained for M&S in taking the risk of flak (particularly during their Christmas period and when events have taken the turn they have since the advert was made) by getting embroiled in accusations of taking sides with the potential risk to trading.

It's an entirely logical decision for the board of any Plc to take.

I remember a few years back that RR used to test their turbo fans by throwing chickens into the rotating blades, the story goes that the Americans tried this with their engines and it destroyed them, they asked RR what they where doing wrong and RR asked if they had defrosted the chickens first. 😂
They actually had a chicken cannon.

Yebbut so what? A hopeless venture but she must be a bold sort of lass! And a bit of a dope.
Not surprised that M&S had 2nd thoughts. Obviously an innocent mistake; they did the photos some time ago but they do look like burning Palestinian flags.
Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in either case - woss the problem? I see nothing of interest.
M&S being historically a Jewish company probably increased their sensitivity to criticism in light of current events. Don't want to risk people reading into it something that undoubtedly isn't there. As to the girl, she is very lucky not to have been blended, no doubt if she had been someone would be saying " no one told her jet engines were dangerous". Beggars belief really.

No, it's not really logical - any colour/colour combination in any advert could be investigated by offence miners and found offensive to someone somewhere.
Does this happen often in Cornwall? Have you any examples?

Because everything is so diverse and people are becoming more sensitive then at some point everything will be offensive to someone, then what. If we start to include colors then how do you handle that, you cannot remove color from everything so it is not the adverts at fault here or the marketing companies that produce the adverts but us the people. We need to harden up and become more teflon in nature and be more receptive to critism and opinion as it is a good way to learn.

Shame on M&S for pulling the advert and apologising. Italy, Mexico, Hungary and Bulgaria off the top of my head all have the same colours in their national flags.
The woman silly person could have so easily been ingested into a fan, she was so very lucky.
How the ell did she think she'd be able to get aboard? Jump?🤡

Yebbut so what? A hopeless venture but she must be a bold sort of lass! And a bit of a dope.
Not surprised that M&S had 2nd thoughts. Obviously an innocent mistake; they did the photos some time ago but they do look like burning Palestinian flags.
Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in either case - woss the problem? I see nothing of interest.
Those 3 colours have been assocciated with C--------, (keep it in December!) for ever, just visit Santa's Grotty in Lapland, they're all dressed in red, green, & white.

reminds me of this video which is of a ground crewman being sucked into a jet engine. it's amazing to watch his body being sucked around like a sock into a vacuum. Spoiler - he did survive.

A more recent one sadly was a tourist I think in Greece walking around the back of a helicopter.... he did not survive.

As for society crumbling a large part of this is just whatever the media moguls want you to believe to sell you newspapers.. I imagine it has changed since pre-social media a fair bit as more people can now add their voice to the mix but again that is largely manipulated. I've heard it said 90% of posts on twitter are by 10% of the users, so we see a very polarised view of the world at the moment. I think most people are somewhere in the middle and generally good.

Would be interesting how society would change if all of the media outlets actually pushed positive news agendas

Were I committed to the traditions of Xmas - goodwill to all men, holly, ivy, fat men wearing red, whilst the snow gently falls etc - I would be distressed at the removal of familiar yuletide imagery.

It now seems there is nothing over which someone, somewhere will take offence. There is a clear difference between that which is deliberately engineered to be derogatory - obviously not the intension of M&S.

I mostly regard Xmas as the season of waste, gross excess and insincere bonhomie. However tolerance should triumph over the small minded - it is not right that those who buy into the Xmas ethos should be denied that which brings them joy.

People like moaning though - just look at the threads about ULEZ or speed limits! :ROFLMAO:
They aren't excited by items like this London's low emission zones have improved air quality, study suggests
True. It is also a very good way to distract people from the important issues. Every few years I see the news stories about whether the government is going to change the age to drive (up or down) and whether to increase the motorway speed limits.

Both of which they have no intention of changing but it provides days of arguing between the for's and against's, ultimately resulting in no change but neatly distracting a lot of people from whatever it is they are actually trying to hide/push through.

Latest posts

Back