Simonswerk hinge quality?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never used Simonswerk hinges before but have heard good things about them so thought I would give them a try on some cabinets I'm making.

It didn't start well as the delivery didn't turn up yesterday as promised and when it arrived today the packaging was wrapped in parcel tape which had "Resealed by DPD with care" written all over it. Upon opening the battered box I found half the hinges and all the screws were missing.

Now onto the hinges, firstly the Antique Brass looks much darker than expected but my main issue is the quality of the hinges. When the hinges are laid flat some are different widths, some are tight and squeak when you open them while others have a bit of play in them. I called the supplier and they didn't seem bothered just saying they are handmade in the UK and the best cabinet hinges you will find.

I'm a bit disappointed as thought they would be better, so far they don't seem worth 4x the price of Carlisle Brass or Zoo hinges etc.

Are my expectations too high, what are other peoples experiences, I even wonder if they aren't genuine Simonswerk hinges I have been sent?

simonswerks 1.jpg

simonswerks 2.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t like the look of those gaps , surely this will show up once the doors are hung , based on the cost compared to ghe quality I’d not be happy with them . If you can send them back and get a refund. There is no point paying a premium price for a mediocre product. Imo of course..

I can't see a reason why they would vary in width There is no reason why the flaps on a solid drawn brass hinge should not be of a consistent size. I would be tempted return them as not being of a good enough quality.

Good quality hinges do exist. I bought a pair of flap hinges recently, and admittedly they did cost nearly a tenner, but it was such a pleasure to have them be exactly the same size, and have all the hole positions match.

I found the trouble with making things like kitchens is that the number of hinges needed does push up the overall cost of the hardware, and I used to find myself casting around for the cheapest option I could find.

An option might be to purchase some plain brass hinges, of a sort you have used before - and are satisfied with the quality - and antique these yourself with an 'antiquing solution'.

I had some delivered yesterday,
First time I've used Simonswerk.
Properly packed in a Simonswerk box.
They seem good and square, open and close with a good feel. They look better quality than the ones in your pictures.
I too would question whether they are genuine.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_152617.jpg
    IMG_20240404_152617.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
For better quality work I use Simonswerk or Basta Parsons hinges and havent had any quality issues
Yours do not look right on 2 fronts
  • When you open and close them the knuckles should stay flush to each other. Yours look like there are steps
  • The large open gap at the end will show
See link below to an article I wrote on these a while ago
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/hinges.139957/

I would say these were sub standard and return them
Ian

Abysmal
Another reason why the responsibility of shipping quality checked items should be with the company and redress in compensation legally available to the inconvenienced customer.
This happens a lot and you are not paid to be their quality control department.
I'd say don't spend a penny returning them unless free returns.
Write or phone them.
You could threaten them with a bad write up on internet if things don't get addressed properly.... Oh, hang on a minute lol

Cheers, Andy

I have never used Simonswerk hinges before but have heard good things about them so thought I would give them a try on some cabinets I'm making.

It didn't start well as the delivery didn't turn up yesterday as promised and when it arrived today the packaging was wrapped in parcel tape which had "Resealed by DPD with care" written all over it. Upon opening the battered box I found half the hinges and all the screws were missing.

Now onto the hinges, firstly the Antique Brass looks much darker than expected but my main issue is the quality of the hinges. When the hinges are laid flat some are different widths, some are tight and squeak when you open them while others have a bit of play in them. I called the supplier and they didn't seem bothered just saying they are handmade in the UK and the best cabinet hinges you will find.

I'm a bit disappointed as thought they would be better, so far they don't seem worth 4x the price of Carlisle Brass or Zoo hinges etc.

Are my expectations too high, what are other peoples experiences, I even wonder if they aren't genuine Simonswerk hinges I have been sent?

View attachment 178728

View attachment 178729

I have used simonswerk hinges quite a bit, the advantages being the selection of finishes available and the availability of smaller sizes. I have found them to be of high quality, a tightish feel and consistent size with nice square edges that don’t need fettling. As hornbeam says the knuckles should be flush when open and should arrive nicely presented. Personally, I would return those. At a tenner each they need to be a cut above. Like you, I am a Carlisle brass fan but they don’t have the smaller cabinet hinges. HTH, Alex

Thank you for all the replies, sounds like mine aren't up to scratch.

I have emailed the supplier and am awaiting a response.

My supplier sell simonswerk and almost identical much cheaper hinges. I'm guessing there's been an accidental mix up.....cough!

No, your expectations are not too high. You've already emailed the supplier you say, but I hope you included the photographs you showed in your opening post. It would be impossible, in my opinion, for the supplier to claim that what they sent to you was of acceptable quality. I imagine they will immediately offer to replace the shonky ones sent. Slainte.

Was put on to simonswerk hinges relatively recently. I'd say the ones I have received are way better value/quality than the competition. Not Brusso quality of course but nowhere, nowhere near the price. I recommend simonswerk to others. I agree that yours are distinctly dodgy and need returning.

Just to update this the hinges are going back, the customer service from the firm who supplied them was rubbish, first time I'd used them and will be the last.

I ended up ordering some Alexander & Wilks hinges from More Handles which arrived today, the quality seems good, even the supplied screws are decent quality and useable 👍

My supplier is called interfit and the one I use is macclesfield but the main one is up north. An amazing company for all things kitchen!

Back