Concealed hinge minefield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting dizzy with the amount of options. My research points me to Blum if budget allows or Hafele is also quite decent.
I need inset as opposed to overlay hinges and I know for some wardrobe doors given their height I will need 4 hinges per door whereas the smaller ones 3 will suffice.
I also know that soft-close and clip-on are very good to have features

That's the easy part.

Its the opening degrees I can't get my head around given the narrow range of options, 107, 110, 115, 120 etc. I'm obviously missing something as I can't see the scenario the variation would make that much of a difference.

Additionally, where do people tend to get their hinges from? Historically I've bought this kind of stuff from Ironmongerydirect/screwfix/toolstation etc but I've seen these and the price looks great (complete bundle for less than others are charging for hinge only)

https://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/soft-close-cabinet-hinge--inset-3-p.asp

I like interfit as they are considerably cheaper than ironmongery. apart from that integral blumotion is good as it can be turned of on 2 allowing a nice closing action. thick ones are available for doors over 23mm(in straightforward installations anyway)
a 36mm face frame with 18mm cabs will allow an 18mm cruciform to be used.(or use a zero protrusion and and wooden block to bring flush)

You won't go far wrong with the hinges you've linked to, 110 degree with soft close is pretty much the standard.

I personally use these mounting plates, don't know why but I just prefer them

https://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/diecast-mounting-plate-0mm-233-p.asp
And I also buy my hinges from Trade Hinges, you get a 5% discount when you are a returning customer 👍

Plus 1 for interfit. Not sure where in Yorkshire you are but they have a branch in ossett Wakefield or give them a call they'll sort you with exactly what you need for a competitive price

I use the macclesfield branch.which oddly is the original branch( odd as its well stocked but sparsely manned)Wakefield is now bigger

Thanks all, well, good to know now which actual product to get. Hadn't heard of interfit before but just checked their website and their prices look very decent and at first glance on a par with trade-hinges. It's when you get to a page like the below that a complete newbie to the world of hinges gets totally lost :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

https://interfitco.com/blum-soft-close-hinges/

Also I can recommend using a jig to fit, makes life easy and only 30 squids

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Kreg-...ain+UK&tduid=692cade3d50bfb5b2eca55f8df225d6a
Brings me onto my next question as I bought this jig a couple weeks back and just got a cheap hinge from screwfix to play around with and I couldn't get my head around the variations on the jig. I thought it was just a standard one-size fits all but there are those two grey dials to adjust and I couldn't work out what it related to

1677574306017.png

Finally and I am sure its very easy once you've done the first one but... I thought I was quite intelligent until I read the installation instructions for these, particlarly when it gets to an image like this

1677574584726.png

I have used Hart Wholesale of Southend-on-sea in Essex for many year. I remember in the early days of Toolstation they used to be supplied with cabinet fixings by Hart's. www.blum.org.uk and 01702 460266. You may well need to set up an account.
You need:-
HI71B3750 Blum C/TOP Inset Hinge 110 SCR = £2.89
HI173710 Blum CRUC Cam Plate OSP +/- 8.8 NP = £0.46
Delivery is about £7 and often next day.

Colin

+1 for Blum from Trade hinges.
I like the fact you can order the plates you actually want separately.

Ollie

Comparing like for like (and including VAT) it looks like on price alone Interfit just edge it at GBP3.76 for the hinge and plate (vs 4.02 at Hart Wholesale and 4.74 at Trade-Hinges). They all seem to off free delivery at a certain spend point.

I am thankful Trade-hinges had a hinge & plate combi package as I've just looked at the standalone plates and... if I was confused by the sheer number of options for the hinges themselves.. the plates are a whole new kettle of fish :ROFLMAO:

Thanks all, well, good to know now which actual product to get. Hadn't heard of interfit before but just checked their website and their prices look very decent and at first glance on a par with trade-hinges. It's when you get to a page like the below that a complete newbie to the world of hinges gets totally lost :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Brings me onto my next question as I bought this jig a couple weeks back and just got a cheap hinge from screwfix to play around with and I couldn't get my head around the variations on the jig. I thought it was just a standard one-size fits all but there are those two grey dials to adjust and I couldn't work out what it related to

View attachment 154279

Finally and I am sure its very easy once you've done the first one but... I thought I was quite intelligent until I read the installation instructions for these, particlarly when it gets to an image like this

View attachment 154280
you need two clamps to fix it to the work piece too. try this vid to see if it helps

View attachment 154279

View attachment 154280

The whole blum hinge thing does seem a bit complicated until you get your head around it but it really is simpler than it seems. Once you've done a few all the drawings and measurements make sense and it's an absolute breeze, you just put the hinge where it says and it works 🤯

With many applications if you put the hole in the door 5mm off the edge (so 22.5mm to the centre) you won't go far wrong.

Getting dizzy with the amount of options. My research points me to Blum if budget allows or Hafele is also quite decent.
I need inset as opposed to overlay hinges and I know for some wardrobe doors given their height I will need 4 hinges per door whereas the smaller ones 3 will suffice.
I also know that soft-close and clip-on are very good to have features

That's the easy part.

Its the opening degrees I can't get my head around given the narrow range of options, 107, 110, 115, 120 etc. I'm obviously missing something as I can't see the scenario the variation would make that much of a difference.

Additionally, where do people tend to get their hinges from? Historically I've bought this kind of stuff from Ironmongerydirect/screwfix/toolstation etc but I've seen these and the price looks great (complete bundle for less than others are charging for hinge only)

https://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/soft-close-cabinet-hinge--inset-3-p.asp
As standard, the opening degree is most likely to be 110 unless stated otherwise. You'd only want 90 if you're restricting the door from knocking say a wall or another door/cabinet. Even so, you can buy tip-on restrictors which fit into the hinge cup to prevent a 110 hinge from opening all the way.

I would suggest Blum when it comes to any hardware. I have tried and used other brands, but have seen the difference straight away. Blum hinges really hold and support the door, whereas some other suppliers seem to wobble or struggle to keep their margins overtime. They generally sag or struggle to operate given the weight etc.

It's worth asking a Blum stocklist for a Blum manual. It will show every piece of hardware and how to install it. Remember inset hinges need a little more room on your carcass as it's 37mm to the centre holes on your mounting plate PLUS the thickness of your door so it can be around 57-60mm to the centre of your mounting plate holes.

Latest posts

Back