How to mount Blum soft-close hinge with push to open?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit stuck on how to exactly mount a Blum soft close hinge (71B3750) with this mounting plate (175H3100) and Tip-on push to open device. The Tip-On is the special version that works with self-closing doors.

Basically wondering how to ensure A. equal shadow gaps on all side, B. how much to offset forwards from frame to ensure Tip on works and C. what the optimal position for the Tip on is.

The tricky part is that the doors are inset from one side (see photo) and overlaid for the other three edges.

I was thinking to mount the hinges the same way as you normally would with inset hinges, just offset them 2-3mm to the front for the Tip On to work.

Do you have any advice on how to position and offset the hinges correctly? And where to position the Tip-On (was thinking just left and right of the divider panel)? Much appreciated!

IMG_1995.JPG

I don't know if this will help, but here is a great video by @petermillard demonstrating two methods of using the Blum Tip-On touch latch.

Thanks Mike. I've watched this video and the one about the Blum hinges from Peter, which were very helpful. But the Tip-On I'm using is slightly different, so was wondering if it required a different position, and my cabinet is sort of a mix between the two situations he addresses (overlaid / inset).

Was wondering if in my situation I had to make some slight changes compared to how Peter has done it in his videos.

As far as shadow gaps go you just use the adjustment screws on the hinge itself, however with those style mounting plates I think you may be lacking in vertical adjustment. Can you not use the cruciform style mount which would allow this?

The tech drawing appears to be for overlay use, should work by adding door thickness to the backset measurements.

I would perhaps make a small mockup of cabinet and door just to check

236700237.png
398216499.jpg

Last edited:
As far as shadow gaps go you just use the adjustment screws on the hinge itself, however with those style mounting plates I think you may be lacking in vertical adjustment. Can you not use the cruciform style mount which would allow this?

The tech drawing appears to be for overlay use, should work by adding door thickness to the backset measurements.

I would perhaps make a small mockup of cabinet and door just to check

View attachment 142144View attachment 142145
Thanks, those adjustments should probably be sufficient to correct any errors. Actually I initially thought the straight mounting plate also couldn't be adjusted, but it actually can (2mm up and down, just like the other types).

Good idea about the mockup, will get some cheap MDF and make a small mockup, that's probably the best way to be sure it fits.

On ones i fitted, there is vertical adjustment by way of grey plastic bits at the front that look like wedges. These can slide forwards or backwards to raise or lower

Managed to fit the doors, result turned out quite well I think. I made a test door which helped a lot. It wasn't perfect, but there is enough room for adjustment in the hinges in all directions that I could line it up for a nice even shadow gap on all directions.

DSCF5097 Groot.jpeg

DSCF5096 Groot.jpeg

Back