Fitting these hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some kitchen units that I have installed in my new garage workshop and am currently creating a mitre saw station. Unfortunately, the kitchen supplier neglected to drill the hinge holes in one of my cabinets and also forgot to include the hinges in the delivery. They have compensated me for this and sent hinges, but now I am going to have to fit them. The doors have been drilled, but not the carcass ones. They are Blum hinges with soft close clip on parts. I need to install these:

image.jpg

I am guessing I drill a hole just large enough for the plastic section and then push them into place, but I don’t want to get this wrong. Any thoughts please?

Sean

Get your dimensions from one of the other doors , you can buy a cheap jig but probably not worth it for 1 or 2 doors . I think the hole is 35 mm but again check from another door , you will need a drill bit that doesn’t have a large spur in the centre ( so you don’t penetrate the face of your doors

Get your dimensions from one of the other doors , you can buy a cheap jig but probably not worth it for 1 or 2 doors . I think the hole is 35 mm but again check from another door , you will need a drill bit that doesn’t have a large spur in the centre ( so you don’t penetrate the face of your doors

Those are the hinge backplates that fit on the carcass.....not the door!

Sean,.....It's been a while since I fitted any of those particular Blum backplates, but if I remember correctly, they require an accurate 10mm diameter flat bottomed hole.
They need to be a nice snug fit and tight enough that you will need to seat them with a tap from a hammer.
The distance between the two 10mm holes is 32mm apart.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the replies both, sorry if I wasn’t clear on what I was asking for

@Distinterior that helps a lot thanks. Need to think how I am going to get a flat bottom hole though, as I will either need to drill or route it. Maybe a Forstner bit with the point ground off?

… or something like this router bit?

Sean

Last edited:
If your carcass is 18mm thickness, I think the depth of the holes required is also about 10mm deep.....then a 10mm lip & spur drill bit will do the job. The spur is only about 2 or 3mm in length, so you should still have at least 6mm of material thickness before you break through the carcass side.

Personally, I use a 10mm TC tipped dowel drill for this kind of hole.....They cut an accurate & clean flat bottomed hole in most types of wood and sheet material.

Doug is right,...and at a real push, you could just screw on the backplates that you have there and not bother with the nylon insert.
It would depend on the weight & width of the door you need to hang as the insert would spread the load over a larger area than just a couple of small wood screws.......

I'm not a kitchen fitter and haven't had to fit any of this particular type of hinge,but I can understand the challenge of determining the geometry that works with them.I have fitted hinges from Blum and Hafele and it took a bit of head scratching to get any idea of where to drill.The last time I needed to use a set,I was glad to be living in the internet age as I found a guide to Blum's system 32 here https://woodweb.com/knowledge_base_images/ms/Process32_041204.pdf and found it helpful.

After a bit of fumbling I found this page in the Blum catalogue that gives the hole locations Blum catalogue and technical manual 2020/2021 and once marked out,all(!) you need to do is drill some holes.Some years ago I bought a hinge sinking Forstner pattern drill at Alexandra Palace and it must have been pretty old stock since it had rattled around in a box sufficiently to have nothing resembling a cutting edge.A situation that was dealt with swiftly and the door has been working since.A pillar drill with the depth stop in place is the way to go and an offcut to practice on is no bad thing.

Thank you very much all, really appreciate the help. Fortunately two of my three cabinets were drilled at the factory and as this is the middle of my cabinet run I will be able to use the one either side as a guide for where to drill. I'm going to have a go with the inserts and see how I get on, but good to have an alternative in just screwing in the backplate if that doesn’t go to plan

Sean

Just remember to ensure the hole is a good snug fit for the nylon insert.....They are a "one time use" item and if you can pull them out without too much pressure, then your hole is too sloppy.

Good Luck.

Will do thank you. I’ll probably drill a piece of wood first to use as a guide I can clamp on to keep me true. Hopefully I’ll get to it today so I’ll update later if I do

Sean

So it’s two weeks since I said I would come and update this thread! The blame lies with a nasty virus I’ve had and I’ve just not been up to doing anything. Anyway, today is the day I finally got on with things. I noticed the little plastic inserts had a hole completely through the middle, so I used a small drill bit to drill through the already installed ones in the neighbouring cabinets into the cabinet where I needed to fit the missing ones. This saved a lot of measuring and checking. I then slowly enlarged all holes up to 10mm and the new inserts fit perfectly. The doors are hung and I now need to spend hours adjusting door and drawer levels (or so it always seems with this sort of thing!)

Thank you so much for all the help

Sean

Back