Reinforcing loose wall plugs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However you repair this inadequate fixing it will happen again unless you make it a more structurally sound fixing, that means drilling deeper with longer fixings into a brick or timber stud, anything else is putting a plaster on a haemorrhage.

You need to drill into the brick (stone, breeze lock, whatever) and use plugs and screws long enough. Whatever product you use, you will never get a sound fix in just plaster. Plasterboard you might have more luck with proper fixings but 9 times out of 10 you want to fix to it where there's an adhesive blob so you're limited to the screw in ones, and or there's a wall behind it you then still have to drill into and find suitable fixings for that (there are ones designed especially for this but at a pinch you can stack 2 standard plugs). Just fill the broken out hole around where the plug goes with normal filler since it's largely cosmetic.

A batten as others have said will give you a vastly better fixing as it spreads the load around.

I've got a pack of these, circular (about 2" across) mesh disks impregnated with plaster.
Made for this sort of reason, depending on wall of course. Wet the disk, fold it around a rawplug and pop it back into the hole. As it dries, it fixes to both the hole and the plug and becomes solid again.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WETNFIX-20-DISCS-Fixing-redrill/dp/B01B2ULW7G
Call me a cynical old git but I wouldn't want to bet my PL insurance on using this as an option.

I have remedied this type of situation by using "NoNails" or a similar product, clear any dust from the hole fill it with the adhesive and push in the plug, leave long enough to set -- overnight ? then refit the screws.

good luck.

patching the plaster ain't gonna work.as yer patch will have no structural strength.

My only suggestion is a toggle bolt. such as this
https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_FASTENER_7135/CLS_MECHANICAL_ANCHORS_7135/r226
Don't cheap out on the lightest ones, you want as much toggle as you can behind the wall,

and I'' add the caveat that that might not work for long term

I'm not familiar with the G-fix toggles posted earlier, but they are similar.

Are you fighting a loosing battle? i fear so

Last resort is to use a 3/4" batten attached to the wall with three or 4 toggle type bolts in oreder to spread the load..

When fixing into lightweight blocks, I have used "aercrete square wall plugs", it is possible to hammer them in directly but I find it easier to drill a 6mm hole first. I also use them on old plaster/ soft brick areas where all other plugs fail. Toolstation, B&Q etc.

I have remedied this type of situation by using "NoNails" or a similar product, clear any dust from the hole fill it with the adhesive and push in the plug, leave long enough to set -- overnight ? then refit the screws.
As I said - but wash (or at least blow) the dust out of the hole first.

I’m back. Sorry for the delay in replying.

It is plasterboard after all, but all the walls have all seen much better days so I’m not convinced any patch will hold up. As I said, the skirting, bannister and a doorway right next to the foot of the stairs gives me limited options for drilling so I think I might just have to drill in to the post at the bottom of the banister and have the gate open the opposite way. At least I can patch that up easily when I take the screws out.

It’s not ideal because it opens the opposite way but it’s a temporary fix until I can do job number 5127 on the list, rehanging the doors upstairs and fixing all the handles and locks to stop the dogs getting in to the bedrooms.

Stuff it with two part filler, and insert the plug while it's wet. 10 mins later it will be solid.
Even if there is a void behind the plaster board, just jam the filler inside. What for that to set, then add some more. (i.e. do it in parts)
Works for me every time. That stuff sticks to everything and dries fast!

Back