What is wrong with some people?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that the tea was originally brewed in a Tea Pot that had previously been 'warmed' before being emptied then the tea leaves placed in the pot, then boiling water was poured ("take the pot to the kettle, never the kettle to the pot") directly onto the leaves and left to brew.
Now days we use teabags and brew them in the cup but if you add the milk in before the water you cool the temperature of the water before the tea has a chance to brew properly.
I always put the milk in first, even with teabags. It's what tastes right for me. I really don't give a tinker's cuss what anybody else thinks about it.
I sometimes say "toilet" or "mantelpiece" as well, although this is probably the first time I've used both in the same sentence.

Looking down on those that put milk in first to make tea is pretentious, it started when porcelain first became available and people would show off that putting the boiling water in first did not crack the cup as it would china.
A little like fish knives and forks - originally ownership was a demonstration of wealth.

Personally I find them functionally inadequate!

A little like fish knives and forks - originally ownership was a demonstration of wealth.

Personally I find them functionally inadequate!
I thought it was the other way round, pish people had silver cutlery that didn't retain fishy smells, whereas the common folk had separate cutlery for fish.

Looking down on those that put milk in first to make tea is pretentious, it started when porcelain first became available and people would show off that putting the boiling water in first did not crack the cup as it would china.
Perhaps weirdly, I serve my own tea both ways: sometimes milk first, then tea, and at others tea first, then milk. For me, it's basically down to which is at hand first when I go to pour, the teapot or the milk.

Anyway, that wasn't the issue for Doc Brown in his rap - it was the 'crime', as far I could see, of putting a tea bag plus the milk into the mug before adding the boiled(?) hot water. Yeuch.

I lived in Texas for ten years. I gave up asking for hot tea there; they had no idea how to make it and all they could manage was cold stuff made in a big glass jar sat on a window sill in the sun filled with cold water, some tea bags and left to 'brew' for a few hours. They served it as iced tea which was sort of stewed stewed, cold with chunks of ice, usually partnered with mint and/or some other herbs, and way too much sugar. Very unappetising I found it. Slainte.

Back