Joke thread commentary, criticism and explanations.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colleague's name was Stu' perchance.

Cornish tradition..like Morris dancing ?

Funnily enough the episode of Black Mirror ( Hatred Nation ? ) where the bees fly up someones nose is on French TV ( FR2 ) as I'm typing .all 6 episodes in one evening..Eng and Fre soundtracks.Recording all of them.
Spent the day with SWMBO at emergency hospital , blues and twos ..got "the phone call" as they were rushing her there, ( she had a cycle accident this morning, on day one of her holidays ) ..grazes, bruises, and a broken sternum.
She's back home now here, facing 3 weeks at least of inaction, painful breathing / existing and heavy painkillers. lucky.
Broke my sternum in a car accident in 2020, amazing how many things are connected to it. Slightest movement of anything and it lets you know about it. Three weeks sleeping in the lazy boy for me as if I laid anything like flat it was agony. I feel for her, I really do.

Talking of having to explain things, I've just noticed that our local bus shelter has the bus timetable in a glass-fronted frame.
Underneath the times, it has an explanation of how the 24 hour business works, together with a dozen little clock diagrams showing examples.

Really?!

Ye Gods....

Given what I see in the yoofs I know, the problem is that they do not understand the existence of any time before they exit their pit at midday - so 8 to them is 20.00 to you and me and the bus company

As many know, here (Switzerland) the 24 hour clock is used all the time, especially for bus, train, airline tables, etc, and "even" commonly for stuff like the shop's opening hours, etc.

When I used to travel a lot, often through Zurich Airport, I lost count of the number of times had to explain the 24 hour clock to people, and NOT "yoof" so often, the "favourites" were "ladies of a certain age" (usually American - you get the idea, ladies with 15 should straps and a blue rinse)!.

As many know, here (Switzerland) the 24 hour clock is used all the time, especially for bus, train, airline tables, etc, and "even" commonly for stuff like the shop's opening hours, etc.

When I used to travel a lot, often through Zurich Airport, I lost count of the number of times had to explain the 24 hour clock to people, and NOT "yoof" so often, the "favourites" were "ladies of a certain age" (usually American - you get the idea, ladies with 15 should straps and a blue rinse)!.

Ha! Just as well I didn't mention their BIG trousers (sorry, "pants") too, isn'it.

Talking of having to explain things, I've just noticed that our local bus shelter has the bus timetable in a glass-fronted frame.
Underneath the times, it has an explanation of how the 24 hour business works, together with a dozen little clock diagrams showing examples.

Really?!

Ye Gods....
Good job they don't use 'Zulu Time' then!

Qui in rural France is pronounced "Ke" Manuel to the front please. 🥴

Good job they don't use 'Zulu Time' then!
Ah, but it has its uses.
Spent half my life using GMT and then applying the longitude correction to determine local ship time. And this new fangled UTC just doesn't have the same ring to it as good old GMT. And what's this nonsense with metres in a nautical setting? Old Willy Shakespeare would have to rewrite that opening line from 'The Tempest' to 'full metres ten thy father lies...' Doesn't quite flow, does it.

IMG-20230708-WA0001.jpg

Ah, but it has its uses.
Spent half my life using GMT and then applying the longitude correction to determine local ship time. And this new fangled UTC just doesn't have the same ring to it as good old GMT. And what's this nonsense with metres in a nautical setting? Old Willy Shakespeare would have to rewrite that opening line from 'The Tempest' to 'full metres ten thy father lies...' Doesn't quite flow, does it.
I used to work somewhere that ran on GMT. A minus 30 minute commute in the summer, arriving at work half an hour before you left home took some getting used to. This was offset by the 30 minute commute home arriving an hour and a half later. Used to look forward to six months of normality when the clocks go back in autumn.

Back