Helping out a family member

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that this is not the last we have heard on this.
Well I hope it is tbh but I suspect they might try another way but I’ve blocked 3 of their numbers so it won’t be easy for them to contact me . I,m starting a full bathroom in the next week or so and another as soon as I’ve finished that so I’m going to be busy for a while. They can as said earlier go to checkacowboy.com or mybuilderhasconnedme.com. There are also the travelling community that will do a decent job ( 🙈😳😂) so good luck to them .

I don't think you should block their numbers. Just be honest with them and say no thanks every time they reach out. They will have more respect for you when the reality hits them and will indeed figure out you didn't need the job in the first place.

I don't think you should block their numbers. Just be honest with them and say no thanks every time they reach out. They will have more respect for you when the reality hits them and will indeed figure out you didn't need the job in the first place.
I actually unblocked the main number yesterday as I don’t want to give the impression that I’m hiding from them , I’m reasonably confident they won’t be in contact anytime soon. If they do and for any reason I change my mind it will be payment upfront and materials paid for by themselves-but this again is highly unlikely.

I asked an acquaintance (a sparky) to do a job for me. He said before we start I do this for a living, I don't do mate's rates, I do the best job I can as quickly and for as little cost as I can - if you're happy with that, great, if your not, get someone else. He did the job at a very reasonable rate.

Last edited:
Just do not change your mind. Under no circumstances. The response to your quote tells it all.
I've ignored my gut feeling in the past and it has never worked out well.
To be fair it was my gut feeling that led me to post on here , I had my fingers burned a few years back doing a job for a friend of a friend so never again..I’ve heard today they are going to do the work themselves as apparently it’s not that difficult to do ( obviously been watching bob the bodger videos) They are trying to hold on to as much of the inheritance as possible so the cheaper they get the work done the more they will have . I think deep down they were looking for a mug and maybe thought that I would fit the bill- they got that wrong . Thanks again all ..

If someone helps me out - my plasterer is the sort to slot you in early - I always bung them an extra tenner so they can have a pint 'on me'. Worth it as they treat you well the next time, and so it goes on.
I always take it that a customer who pays you a bit extra is a really pleased with your work and is securing your services for future jobs . In return you are more likely to fit that customer in when the next job comes along. Same as the ones that keep you supplied with tea or coffee all day long . I recall a customer approached me once explaining that the full English she had made for her son was surplus to requirements as he had been called into work early and would I like it . 🥳😍🥳😌 I left completely stuffed ..

I find bottles of wine work wonders - you wouldn't give someone a fiver but a £5 bottle of wine always goes down well. If I was having work done I watched Tesco for the 25% off six offers and picked up something half decent.
I hope you give the wine to them after they have finished the job, not during. 🥴

Pete

I hope you give the wine to them after they have finished the job, not during. 🥴

Pete
I recall many years ago laying a patio and the chap I was working with was in to his home brew . So it came to dinner time and after a fish and chips dinner we washed it down with a pint of his home brew . It was a hot day and we cracked on and eventually went home . Got back the next day and had to take up about 30 slabs as they were wobbling and some cracked but generally they were not fit for purpose.. after that we would have a pint on the way home ..🍺🍺🍺🍺

I always pay guys immediately. The job’s done so pay now. I find I get excellent repeat service when I call as they know they won’t be waiting for payment. I needed an electrician last week, rang and receptionist said they are all busy. They asked for my details and 35 minutes later he was there. I never gave terms to my customers as payment was always due on date of invoice. I always thanked them for paying quickly though. Happy Easter.

Back