My "shed" build (first timer!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the post by HOJ is really interesting and helpful. If I understand the extract correctly the key is that if you have OSB on the outside of the frame you can't rely on OSB alone on the inside, as by definition the vapour resistance will be 1:1 and not the recommended 5:1. But from your post you are using a 'proper' vapour control barrier on the inside which I presume is designed to give exactly what is needed.

Terry.

Edit: weather came on just after I posted this, certainly sounds like a good thing that you have structural integrity as it sounds like it is going to get seriously windy later this week!

Wizard9999":2u4hlisx said:
I agree that the post by HOJ is really interesting and helpful. If I understand the extract correctly the key is that if you have OSB on the outside of the frame you can't rely on OSB alone on the inside, as by definition the vapour resistance will be 1:1 and not the recommended 5:1. But from your post you are using a 'proper' vapour control barrier on the inside which I presume is designed to give exactly what is needed.

Terry.

Edit: weather came on just after I posted this, certainly sounds like a good thing that you have structural integrity as it sounds like it is going to get seriously windy later this week!

I say that but I have not picked anything as yet, I'm assuming a polythene sheet material will do the job, I'll need to have a look.

You're right about that, even last night it was gusting up to 50mph here, I'm seriously concerned about this tarp I've currently got on the roof, really need to get the roof boarding finished and EPDM down ASAP, looking like Sunday (incidentally, my birthday) is the only dry day for the next while so hopefully get it done then, the wife's not going to be happy as she wanted to go out for a nice lunch haha, sorry dear!

I ended up ordering a 4m x 5m, 1.2mm membrane Classic bond kit from rubber4roofs with everything I need including edge kerb and gutter trims, arrives tomorrow, not too bad at £280 delivered.

:)

Wizard9999":1xrjintz said:
I'm assuming a polythene sheet material will do the job,

The vapour resistance of a material is a measure of the material’s reluctance to let water vapour pass through. The vapour resistance takes into account the material’s thickness, so can only be quoted for a particular thickness of material. It is usually measured in MNs/g (“MegaNewton seconds per gram”).

Typical values are as follows: (I have put the values in order of permeability)

Breather Membrane 0.6 MNs/g
Vapour check plasterboard 60 MNs/g
0.12mm polythene sheet 250 MNs/g
0.25mm polythene sheet 500 MNs/g
Aluminium foil 7500 MNs/g

Again, hope this helps.

HOJ":2msjprai said:
Wizard9999":2msjprai said:
I'm assuming a polythene sheet material will do the job,

The vapour resistance of a material is a measure of the material’s reluctance to let water vapour pass through. The vapour resistance takes into account the material’s thickness, so can only be quoted for a particular thickness of material. It is usually measured in MNs/g (“MegaNewton seconds per gram”).

Typical values are as follows: (I have put the values in order of permeability)

Breather Membrane 0.6 MNs/g
Vapour check plasterboard 60 MNs/g
0.12mm polythene sheet 250 MNs/g
0.25mm polythene sheet 500 MNs/g
Aluminium foil 7500 MNs/g

Again, hope this helps.

As the outside is clad in OSB (9mm of I understand correctly) to ensure 5:1 presumably these guys need to know what the 'score' that gets in MNs/g. Is that available? And do you just take the highest score between the OSB and membrane, add the OSB score to the membrane score or something more complicated?

Terry.

Muzza80":2wpv48vu said:
You're right about that, even last night it was gusting up to 50mph here, I'm seriously concerned about this tarp I've currently got on the roof, really need to get the roof boarding finished and EPDM down ASAP, looking like Sunday (incidentally, my birthday) is the only dry day for the next while so hopefully get it done then, the wife's not going to be happy as she wanted to go out for a nice lunch haha, sorry dear!

I ended up ordering a 4m x 5m, 1.2mm membrane Classic bond kit from rubber4roofs with everything I need including edge kerb and gutter trims, arrives tomorrow, not too bad at £280 delivered.

I used EPDM on my workshop roof, brilliant stuff. I started laying mine with not a cloud in the sky, before I had finished a hail storm had come out of nowhere! Luckily it did not seem to affect the end result. Good luck and :eek:ccasion4: for Sunday

Terry.

Ok so been a productive weekend!

Roof EPDM on, kerb and gutter trims fitted, windows in and flashed, door frame wrapped, fitted and flashed just the door to wrap now but I'm watertight and secure at last hooray! :)

C6F716C5-EC4E-4305-8980-61E240A96F61_zpsjwxghref.jpg~original

067DA74B-B69E-4B4C-8045-1620838D39B8_zpsgqsob56d.jpg~original

68D30D21-42B1-4002-B54D-2AC99ECB0D26_zpspt9bwfq9.jpg~original

89B5E527-00A9-46E0-9614-86C7843874E0_zpsdckemrsr.jpg~original

09D96838-C796-4A5E-AB6C-86DE87832AAC_zpsmhukkwon.jpg~original

E19FD796-EF08-4880-B4DF-4193E32E5F7B_zpswswrfskr.jpg~original

2AAE4FC3-C0E6-4948-8908-27B217F9DB55_zps2nntf1cy.jpg~original

3D21693D-492B-44AD-83DE-7632BC0533AE_zpssgip05zj.jpg~original

By pure coincidence the bostick flashband I've used to seal the reveals around the windows and door is exactly the same colour as my wrap which makes sealing it up a doddle as I can just overlap slightly around the frames without it looking shoddy, looks a little odd now but when clad it should be barely noticeable unless looking very closely.

Next up I need to work out what I'm going to do about the roof facia's all round, thinking of just using the extra EPDM all round to face them but I need to come up with a plan for the sofits, how to support them and whatnot first.

Anyway, as always all comments welcome!

Stanleymonkey":3f7p7kjs said:
Just noticed the view from your back garden - lucky sod!!

Fantastic work mate - your little lad must be very impressed with you :D

Wizard9999":3f7p7kjs said:
Stanleymonkey":3f7p7kjs said:
Just noticed the view from your back garden - lucky sod!!

+1 window placement fully understood now :wink:

Cheers, yeah cant complain, here's the view from that little window on the end!

9E103908-D5DB-412D-A591-FC589A0B43F4_zps85h1evfq.jpg~original

After reading every reply here & apart from a couple of school boy errors I think you've made a fantastic job & take my hat off to you Well Done.

Was hoping to see the project completely finished, not sure if you've posted it somewhere else but would love to see it finished.

Cheers for the comments chaps.

To be totally honest I've not touched it since the last update.

Being secure and waterproof before the winter fully set in was the main priority, as it happens, just today I've made a start on clearing the garden and I'm dismantling the old tin shed this afternoon.

I'll get the cladding ordered up shorty and get cracking with it, I'll be sure to post updates as soon as I have them.

So I thought I'd better post a little update.

Would you believe, it's taken me 11 months to get around to cladding this!

I've been super busy with a complete garden overhaul and as the build was completely weather proof it got put on the back burner there until this past weekend!

I had intended using Larch cladding but having just done over 40m of fence, a huge deck and 20m of sleeper retaining wall in green pressure treated timber I thought it might look a little odd, plus the cost of Larch in the profile I wanted was excessive. I've ended up with very nice 22mm thick pressure treated shiplap, total cost for cladding was about £450 delivered so really not too bad at all and I'm really pleased with the quality and look.

I still need to detail the corners, around the windows and door and the underside of the roof sides.

I'll fit vents front and back on the underside of the roof projection and the read will also get guttering.

Still need to wrap that door in the vinyl to match the rest of the windows/doors and also build a little 2 step unit for the front door.

Next is wiring out to the build from the house and then from the build down to the decking at the bottom of the garden, I've run armoured cable down there during the landscaping.

Here's a quick picture of the weekends progress.

:)

file.php

Attachments

• 23270578_10155662433320575_1500633596290462389_o.jpg
    23270578_10155662433320575_1500633596290462389_o.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 440
Back