Grammar Post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Eye halve a spelling chequer
  • It came with my pea sea
  • It plainly marques four my revue
  • Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a quay and type a word
  • And weight four it to say
  • Weather eye am wrong oar write
  • It shows me strait a weigh.
  • As soon as a mist ache is maid
  • It nose bee fore two long
  • And eye can put the error rite
  • It's rare lea ever wrong.
  • Eye have run this poem threw it
  • I am shore your pleased two no
  • Its letter perfect awl the weigh
  • My chequer tolled me sew.
(not mine, I'm not that smart.)

Once you have worked with software like C, Verilog and such you do tend to focus more on each and every detail and pick up on the odd thing because the slightest mistake can cause hours of debugging and it may just be a simple dot.

Once you have worked with software like C, Verilog and such you do tend to focus more on each and every detail and pick up on the odd thing because the slightest mistake can cause hours of debugging and it may just be a simple dot.

Or inserting a semicolon immediately at the end of an if() or while() statement where it doesn't belong.

I know a lot of people think that correct spelling and punctuation are a waste of time, but I look at it like this, if you decide to play the guitar, for example, you'd try to play the right notes in the right sequence. If you aspire to woodwork, then surely you'd want your joints to look neat. What's special about language? Why do people get so upset when their mistakes are corrected?

What's special about language? Why do people get so upset when their mistakes are corrected?

My German speaking and writing skills are not as good as they should be, but all of my German friends know I want them to correct my grammar when I make mistakes. Unless corrected on the spot, I won't learn and they don't make fun of me...at least in person.

I and a few other parents used to go into my lad's infant school a couple of times a week to read with a group six children. One morning I watched the young woman teacher write a piece of appalling grammar on the whiteboard and I think I must have winced visibly as I caught the eye of a teaching assistant, who came over to me afterwards and said the poor standard of English was the norm - she'd had words about it with the head before but nothing was said or done, it wasn't her place to speak to the teacher about it so she no longer mentioned it. These were eight year old children - if they are not taught properly, how does anyone expect their grammar (or anything else for that matter) to be correct?

My first term of Latin was 1965 in a Direct Grant school. The master started by telling us we would learn not one word of Latin for the whole term, we would learn English grammar as it was no longer taught properly and we couldn't be expected to know and understand the grammar of a foreign language when we didn't know and understand the grammar of our own.

Attachments

• hopper.jpg
    hopper.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
Am I in ground hog day I was just reading through a post from back Jan 2022 And the same worded posts are there it's called The Grammar Thread
Spooky
Spooky isn't it?

We are for the more part old and very set in our ways. It is logical to assume we are going to repeat ourselves regularly.

It is logical to assume we are going to repeat ourselves regularly.

Re-Pete 😉

I know a lot of people think that correct spelling and punctuation are a waste of time, but I look at it like this, if you decide to play the guitar, for example, you'd try to play the right notes in the right sequence. If you aspire to woodwork, then surely you'd want your joints to look neat. What's special about language? Why do people get so upset when their mistakes are corrected?
Interesting example. A lot of famous guitarists will tell you that they play 'incorrectly' from the percieved correct method. This in part if what gives them their sound.

Also at what point are you choosing to accept correct grammar, as language is constantly evolving. Should we have stopped at shakespearean grammar as that would surely have been correct at the time or any other time period that was deemed correct at the time.

Spooky isn't it?

We are for the more part old and very set in our ways. It is logical to assume we are going to repeat ourselves regularly.

Re-Pete 😉
Or is it AI at work

Interesting example. A lot of famous guitarists will tell you that they play 'incorrectly' from the percieved correct method. This in part if what gives them their sound.

Also at what point are you choosing to accept correct grammar, as language is constantly evolving. Should we have stopped at shakespearean grammar as that would surely have been correct at the time or any other time period that was deemed correct at the time.
Thou makest a jape you little nabob

Back