Rats in a trap...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it depends how they get here - if they make it under their own steam, they can be defined as native (Collared Doves in 1956 for example) whereas if they were introduced my man, they're not considered native.

A native species is one that occurs naturally in a given area or habitat, opposed to an artificially introduced species.

Greys were brought to the UK by humans so will always be an introduced species.

In respect of using ‘poison’ to control mice & rats …..it’s very much frowned upon now due to the impact on wildlife - owls etc and if your in an urban area you will kill next doors cat
Quite true, I have an irresponsible neighbour (not a native of GB, but from along way South!) one side of me, who chucks out loads of 'bird food' onto a large table about 30" dia. & wonders why he has rats! He managed to poison his Persian Blue, & recently one of his near neighbour's Guinea Pigs (free-range). :mad:

Those pesky grey varmints are wrecking native trees and displacing those loveable lil native red critters. They belong back in Canada where we regard them either as a source of endearment or irritation. They can be very demanding at times if you decide adopt them into your garden, and a real PIA when it comes to stopping invading your house roof voids etc.; and near impossible to stop them damaging assorted trees, stealing food you provide for the wee birdies.

i planted a beech hedge, the local council official came to visit soon after and informed me that it was not a native species, i agreed but said its only been here 1000 years will it ever qualify as native. no answer
What business did he have to comment on your choice of hedging? Even in a Conservation area, the controls are on damaging or felling trees; not on planting them. Only a specific Restrictive Covenant covering the area of your hedge could do that. And in strict terms [i.e back to the last Ice Age] the ONLY truly native tree is the Scots Pine. If I were you, I would complain to my local Councillor [i.e elected politician] about interference from junior salaried bureaucrat.

What business did he have to comment on your choice of hedging? Even in a Conservation area, the controls are on damaging or felling trees; not on planting them. Only a specific Restrictive Covenant covering the area of your hedge could do that. And in strict terms [i.e back to the last Ice Age] the ONLY truly native tree is the Scots Pine. If I were you, I would complain to my local Councillor [i.e elected politician] about interference from junior salaried bureaucrat.
it was some time ago, 25 plus years, hedge is doing fine still

Some of them can let perceived power go to their head.

I bought a section of field more than 25 years ago bordering on to my garden and to be kept as a paddock. I was advised (incorrectly) that I should inform the local authority which I did. Plans were just posts, pig netting fence and mixed native hedges and trees and I soon got a visit from a jobsworth who said I couldn't do it. I got stroppy and said "yes I can, I'm allowed to fence off my own property to keep out neighbouring sheep etc, it has no right of way or other encumbents". His parting words were "I pass by every day as do other members of staff and we'll be watching you." I can't print my reply.

A couple of weeks later I applied to the same council but environment department for a grant and they paid for the whole lot, fencing, hedges and trees which I installed myself, their attitude was they would help anyone willing to grow much needed hedges. Not another word was ever said by the first pr*t :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Those pesky grey varmints are wrecking native trees and displacing those loveable lil native red critters. They belong back in Canada where we regard them either as a source of endearment or irritation. They can be very demanding at times if you decide adopt them into your garden, and a real PIA when it comes to stopping invading your house roof voids etc.; and near impossible to stop them damaging assorted trees, stealing food you provide for the wee birdies.
Be happy to take the little beasties back as long as you come and get your Starlings, Sparrows, Thistles, other weeds and Rats your ancestors brought over. If the Indigenous Peoples had there way you could take all your ancestors back too. 😉

Pete

If ever you go to Montreal and up the mountain (aka Mont Royal) you’ll see the degree of sophistication the lil’ greys and darker, have acquired. They line up as you reach the top and expect to be fed. Then line up on the down side expecting more. If they don’t get what they expect near the top they’ll pursue you down aways yelling and screaming and jumping up and down, until they realise they ain’t getting whatever.

I used to love watching visitors run that gauntlet when I was living in Montreal

Last edited:
Just been reading of all the rats that got turfed out of their home and traps, they converged on London for a protest run.

This is what happens when soft lads let them loose.

We modify our environment in all manner of ways to optimise our life experience - we:
  • plant gardens and rip out weeds.
  • dispose of part worn clothes and furniture because we want this years fashion and design.
  • buy new cars because the old, despite being functional, doesn't have the desired gizmos
  • buy cleaning products because we like homes and bodies to smell nice
  • bury rubbish in landfill and often don't bother with recycling
Just to be clear - I don't endorse all these behaviours but for many they are entirely normal.

Yet some seem to sympathise with the lot of vermin who may smell bad, cause damage and spread disease. I can buy into the proposition that they are exterminated swiftly - there is no pleasure in causing unnecessary suffering even amongst rats.

Personally - I want them out of my local environment. I want the quickest and cheapest method to be applied. Live capture and re-release into a distant field mostly just transfers the problems to someone else. They may be part of Gods great plan but they are not part of mine.

Be happy to take the little beasties back as long as you come and get your Starlings, Sparrows, Thistles, other weeds and Rats your ancestors brought over. If the Indigenous Peoples had there way you could take all your ancestors back too. 😉

Pete
what race are these indigenouse people you talk of please

Presumably it’s the First Nation and Inuit people. Pretty sure Pete’s comment is a bit tongue in cheek as those I have met when visiting Canada are friendly but proud of their ancestry.

I hadn’t realised Sparrows and Starlings had been imported to North America.

Rats have many natural predators here but, they are rodents and where there is enough food and shelter they multiply quickly. They are prey. That is what prey does.

Rats can be released from a trap quite legally. Why you would want to go to the effort of trapping a rat and then letting it go, however far from the trap site is beyond me though.

Drowning as a form of despatch is illegal and cruel.

I'd suggest if you are trapping invest in a cheap airgun, you don't need a scope or any sight just put the barrel through the wire of the trap and shoot the rat in the head.

Poison is very effective for large infestations when used responsibly and as instructed on the product label by a trained individual secondary poisoning shouldn't be an issue.

Grey squirrels are non-native invasive animals that have filled an ecological niche to the detriment of native wildlife that has not evolved alongside them. No matter how long they are here they will never be native and will always have a negative impact on native flora and fauna.

I planted a small tree outside the back of our place and watched a grey squirrel running up it and bending a branch over to the ground, it did this three or four times and seemed a quite cute form of play, until it broke the branch, it was then dispatched.

All the people that crossed the Bearing Sea land bridge during the last Ice Age that populated all the regions of North, Central and South America. They did it all without horses so I guess the foot race with a some paddling would be a pretty close approximation.

Pete

Back