Any plumbers? Am I out of touch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cost-guide-plumbers

The link above is to 'Which' guide to plumbing costs. They reckon £150+ Cost of tap if isolation valves are needed.
In Which's usual hopelessness, that figure is an average that takes no account of local variations.
Guildford is one of the most expensive areas in the UK, so any trader there has very much bigger overheads that will need to be passed on compared to much of the rest of the country.
£250 inc VAT for a new tap and fitting doesn't seem that expensive in the stockbroker belt of Surrey.

As a letting agent in nottingham £160-250 is about right. You are down south so i expect you will pay a premium for contractors. Washers etc is daft, by the the time the plumbers has faffed about fiddling with the seating his labour charge will be greater than the cost of a new item. Welcome to the uk where there aint many cheap contractors now. You can blame brexit if you want.. but the trades are not attracting kids and so labour cost is creeping up. Arguably it may be a good choice the way its going for the next generation

As a letting agent in nottingham £160-250 is about right. You are down south so i expect you will pay a premium for contractors. Washers etc is daft, by the the time the plumbers has faffed about fiddling with the seating his labour charge will be greater than the cost of a new item. Welcome to the uk where there aint many cheap contractors now. You can blame brexit if you want.. but the trades are not attracting kids and so labour cost is creeping up. Arguably it may be a good choice the way its going for the next generation
Can't disagree, which leaves me wondering how to tempt youngsters into Uni? The promise of higher salary.. #noChance.

You can easily tell the difference between a tap which uses a washer and one which has a cartridge. When a washered tap is turned on, the knob will rotate two or three times. A tap which uses a cartridge will only rotate 45 degrees (1/4 of a turn).

It it's a washered tap, mention has been made of replacement units, (often just a new washer is all that's needed), but if it's a cartridge type, replacements, known a 'ceramic tap glands', are ridiculously cheap, though when replacement are needed, the splined shaft must be the same height as the original. (Typically 8, 9, or 10mm) These for example, have a 9mm spline height:

https://www.toolstation.com/made4tr...&ranSiteID=pfxNKSnglIM-BEVqSy1WMZNwS.QQlyuaTA
Hope that helps.

Labour rates vary widely - in this neck of the woods an annual boiler service would be £75.00 and to replace a pair of tap tops would I guess be no more than £100, but most tradesmen live and work in the community they serve, only have a few miles between jobs, aren't beset with congestion charges, parking meters, traffic wardens and the like. On-street parking is unmetered and mostly not time limited, car parks are free in the village, (3Hrs parking in a multi-storey car park is £2.00, four hours £3.00, five hours £4.00). A 'traffic jam' is six cars at red traffic lights. A world away from the working conditions and operating costs for tradesmen where my son lives in Putney.

Attachments

• Sink Tap replacement cartridges.png
    Sink Tap replacement cartridges.png
    745.4 KB · Views: 0
Back