Kitchen cabinet plinth retention

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris70

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm slowly finishing the installation of my ex-display 'Alno' kitchen and I want your assistance. (For the record, Alno, a big German Kitchen company, closed down in 2017).

I'm now fitting the ex-display plinth and have run up against a simple problem:
  • the 6.5mm thick mdf plinth which came with the ex-display kitchen was finished white on one side and silver on the other, to match the cabinet facing
  • along the bottom edge of all the plinth pieces, which touch the floor, they are cleverly finished with a neoprene(?) strip, to protect the mdf from water ingress
So far, so good. When you fit the plinth:
  • the black adjustable plastic cabinet feet came with an integral diagonal groove into which fit small white plastic plinth retaining clips!
  • once the plinth is cut to length and height to suit, one simply pushes the plinth up against the legs, dropping the white clips onto the plinth top edge, to secure
That, I think, is genius! Better than anything I've seen before, avoiding fixing those infernal brittle U-clips onto the plinth and 'fishing' for cabinet legs

"What's the problem?" I hear you say. Well, I want to source more of the tough, white plastic diagonal clips, and some more plinth, but searching the web I've drawn a blank!

Questions: Has anyone ever seen this type of plinth retention before? Where can I buy these white plastic diagonal clips? I'm gagging for the answer! Chris :))

Attachments

• IMG-5761.jpg
    IMG-5761.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5758.jpg
    IMG-5758.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5757.jpg
    IMG-5757.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5756.jpg
    IMG-5756.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5755.jpg
    IMG-5755.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5754.jpg
    IMG-5754.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5753.jpg
    IMG-5753.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oops, I forgot! And where's the best place to buy 6.5mm finished mdf plinth with a neoprene strip attached to the bottom edge? (The groove in the white clip is 7.5mm). I guess I could buy a sheet of the stuff and rip it down with the track saw and then buy the neoprene strip to glue on, but that seems a bituva faff.

You will be glad to hear they are not unique to Alno. Within the last month I had to remove the plinth from a kitchen fitted within the last two years and it has the same clips.

I will try to find out the kitchen supplier, but it is highly likely they are made by someone like Blum (or its equivalent in the kitchen world).

I have learned that the kitchen is by Nobilia, a German brand. I believe the legs are Nobilia Xeno. Unfortunately, even though they use an adjustable top clip, it does not slide diagonally and looks nothing like the white one you show. Sorry if I gave you false hopes.

Blimey! That is a blast from the past. I fitted an ex-display Alno kitchen in the late 1970s. Don't recall how the plinths were fitted. I use Hafele plinth clips which have a slide-on clip so allows a small amount of movement. Are you sure about the thickness of the plinths, that seems rather thin. The more normal is 16-18mm and a plastic strip is available that sits at the bottom of the plinth.

Oops, I forgot! And where's the best place to buy 6.5mm finished mdf plinth with a neoprene strip attached to the bottom edge? (The groove in the white clip is 7.5mm). I guess I could buy a sheet of the stuff and rip it down with the track saw and then buy the neoprene strip to glue on, but that seems a bituva faff.
Hi Chris, I am having
I'm slowly finishing the installation of my ex-display 'Alno' kitchen and I want your assistance. (For the record, Alno, a big German Kitchen company, closed down in 2017).

I'm now fitting the ex-display plinth and have run up against a simple problem:
  • the 6.5mm thick mdf plinth which came with the ex-display kitchen was finished white on one side and silver on the other, to match the cabinet facing
  • along the bottom edge of all the plinth pieces, which touch the floor, they are cleverly finished with a neoprene(?) strip, to protect the mdf from water ingress
So far, so good. When you fit the plinth:
  • the black adjustable plastic cabinet feet came with an integral diagonal groove into which fit small white plastic plinth retaining clips!
  • once the plinth is cut to length and height to suit, one simply pushes the plinth up against the legs, dropping the white clips onto the plinth top edge, to secure
That, I think, is genius! Better than anything I've seen before, avoiding fixing those infernal brittle U-clips onto the plinth and 'fishing' for cabinet legs

"What's the problem?" I hear you say. Well, I want to source more of the tough, white plastic diagonal clips, and some more plinth, but searching the web I've drawn a blank!

Questions: Has anyone ever seen this type of plinth retention before? Where can I buy these white plastic diagonal clips? I'm gagging for the answer! Chris :))
Hi Chris, I have exactly the same problem as you - desperately trying to find some more of those white clips. Did you have any luck? Any help hugely appreciated. Thanks, Luca

Try getting in touch with an ex kitchen dealer that used to sell Alno kitchens......The chances are, they may well have a few spares in a box somewhere.....?

Failing that, try asking on one of the Kitchen Fitter groups on Facebook and see if any fitters on there have got a few spares in their van....👍

Back