Very, very, very annoyed. 2 things.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must agree with the comment regarding the American Woodworking Videos. (I AM an American too). Statements like "I'm gonna go ahead and.." drive me up the wall! I think I know exactly who you're talking about. I am also irritated by the same guy's constant thrashing around with his hands, and saying "I'm just gonna throw this on the tablesaw..."

Regarding the beginning of sentences with "so". I thought that was strictly an American phenomenon. When I listen to National Public Radio, nearly every person they interview, begins the answer to every question with "So." It's maddening.

To continue in the vein of American Bashing: What has happened to the concept of the documentary film? I watch documentary films that were made over there, and they are very informative and interesting, with an hour or so of content. When I watch an American documentary, they seem to have about fifteen minutes of content, and spend the remainder of the hour, trying to dramatize events, rather than simply reporting them, and repeating the same sentences again and again. The worst, is when the narrator, rather than stating some fact, will pose a question to the audience "What caused John Smith to build his house on the hill? We asked Bill, the caretaker, and this is what he thinks..." Without fail, the answer to the question is eventually revealed, near the end of the show. Why make us sit through all that repetitive drivel, and meaningless speculation? It's not a drama, it's a documentary.

That's all I have to complain about at this time. Please feel free to correct my grammar and spelling.

jakethebuilder":2juvx9ng said:
I must agree with the comment regarding the American Woodworking Videos. (I AM an American too). Statements like "I'm gonna go ahead and.." drive me up the wall! I think I know exactly who you're talking about. I am also irritated by the same guy's constant thrashing around with his hands, and saying "I'm just gonna throw this on the tablesaw..."

Regarding the beginning of sentences with "so". I thought that was strictly an American phenomenon. When I listen to National Public Radio, nearly every person they interview, begins the answer to every question with "So." It's maddening.

To continue in the vein of American Bashing: What has happened to the concept of the documentary film? I watch documentary films that were made over there, and they are very informative and interesting, with an hour or so of content. When I watch an American documentary, they seem to have about fifteen minutes of content, and spend the remainder of the hour, trying to dramatize events, rather than simply reporting them, and repeating the same sentences again and again. The worst, is when the narrator, rather than stating some fact, will pose a question to the audience "What caused John Smith to build his house on the hill? We asked Bill, the caretaker, and this is what he thinks..." Without fail, the answer to the question is eventually revealed, near the end of the show. Why make us sit through all that repetitive drivel, and meaningless speculation? It's not a drama, it's a documentary.

That's all I have to complain about at this time. Please feel free to correct my grammar and spelling.

I find the 'so' thing is often when a scientist is being interviewed. You say Nat Geo interviews suffer with it, maybe it's a fashion in the science world?As for the dilution of documentaries, no doubt we will copy the fashion before long, that usually happens.

Another thing that annoys me is so-called kit boxes supplied with power tools. I have a number of examples where I have bought a tool but to get it back in it's kit box is so fiddly that I just don't bother. The annoying thing is that I obviously had to fork out for these useless items as part of the cost of the tool. I would rather have a power tool supplied in a cheap cardboard box, and pay less ( or a carrier bag for an extra 5p?).

K

graduate_owner":3m3kqwm6 said:
Another thing that annoys me is so-called kit boxes supplied with power tools. I have a number of examples where I have bought a tool but to get it back in it's kit box is so fiddly that I just don't bother. The annoying thing is that I obviously had to fork out for these useless items as part of the cost of the tool. I would rather have a power tool supplied in a cheap cardboard box, and pay less ( or a carrier bag for an extra 5p?).

K
You can do that. Search bare drill or whatever. You can buy the tool and batteries separately.

I don't like the inject blown plastic boxes where things don't fit well. The worst is drill bit cases where you need a screwdriver to leaver them out and long nose pliers to push them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about plastic packaging, the sole intent of which is to cut you to bits whilst opening it. Normally contains a knife or something else sharp that would have aided the original opening.

Graham - not a good ides. The cost of batteries often is about the same as tool, charger, case and batteries. It's not just cordless tools though, I have mains powered tools where the cord needs to be carefully coiled every time or the lid won't close (angle grinder, multi tool, nail gun) and even worse is when they won't fit at all once assembled, as in my long arm belt sander ( would have to take the arm off each time) and my biscuit jointer. It just seems like no thought has gone into the case from the end user's viewpoint, so I end up not using some of these cases. Then of course you can't just throw them away so you pay for them, can't use them and have to store them. Plastic bag please, and a 5p charge.

Having said that I have an old Unifix drill which lives in a really strong metal case, room for bits and adaptors, chisels etc. I don't know what the case alone would have cost because I bought drill and case second hand, but it is so useful that I am really glad I have it ( the case to gonwith the drill that is).

So my issue is - either sell tools in a cardboard box (free packaging) or in a quality kit box which suits the purpose, and charge accordingly. Even better - give the customer th choice of which to go for

Rant over.

K

Graham Orm":3cllvgin said:
In American woodworking videos....."I'm going to go ahead and" or "I went ahead and" Makes it sound like he did it without permission.

Correct, without the permission of his wife.

graduate_owner":1zqakhej said:
Graham - not a good ides. The cost of batteries often is about the same as tool, charger, case and batteries. It's not just cordless tools though, I have mains powered tools where the cord needs to be carefully coiled every time or the lid won't close (angle grinder, multi tool, nail gun) and even worse is when they won't fit at all once assembled, as in my long arm belt sander ( would have to take the arm off each time) and my biscuit jointer. It just seems like no thought has gone into the case from the end user's viewpoint, so I end up not using some of these cases. Then of course you can't just throw them away so you pay for them, can't use them and have to store them. Plastic bag please, and a 5p charge.

Having said that I have an old Unifix drill which lives in a really strong metal case, room for bits and adaptors, chisels etc. I don't know what the case alone would have cost because I bought drill and case second hand, but it is so useful that I am really glad I have it ( the case to gonwith the drill that is).

So my issue is - either sell tools in a cardboard box (free packaging) or in a quality kit box which suits the purpose, and charge accordingly. Even better - give the customer th choice of which to go for

Rant over.

K

I agree 100%. I throw them most of the time to be honest. The best one I've had is my Fein mult-itool masses of space so it stays in it's box.

So, I've been away for a week and the "very very very annoyed about two things" thread is still going, from strength to strength!

Jacob":2jxx8far said:
So, I've been away for a week and the "very very very annoyed about two things" thread is still going, from strength to strength!
I was getting annoyed that you hadn't posted Jacob.

This winter weather is annoying, I want spring to be here, I want to open my workshop and be outside and work. I wanna practice welding but that's a bad idea todo in a woodworking shop.

I've recently been welding in my wood / metal workshop. On pins all the time in case of stray sparks. I use a large fire blanket clipped to a pair of stepladders to act as a shroud but it's nowhere near big enough, so I wait for at least 30 mins after welding to see if any sparks have started something smouldering. As you say, roll on fine weather so we can work outside (ah yes, but then the garden will need attending to, together with those - um, what do you call them now? oh yes, I remembsr - WEEDS!!

It does seem to have been a very long winter this year - started rainng in November and nice days have been very scarce since.

K

We had a boiler installed in my second workshop, where welding gear sits. All done properly with CO and smoke detectors wired into the house alarms. Don't then start welding.......................... it gets VERY noisy :oops: . Have to do all my welding outside now.

I'm building a small welding bench with a grinder and vice on it outside the shop under a little canopy this year. Too risky welding inside. I end up getting up at 2am to look for smoke.

Nelsun":2qolieg0 said:
So, like, What's the collective noun for a gathering of grumpy old men? A (g)rumble?

A forum of course! I am SO NOT a grumpy old guy me' Innit! Until it comes to having no forward delete key on a Mac keyboard! That really, really, really, like upsets moi!

So/therefore/instead/maybe/I should/I will buy a wireless KB and Mouse!

(To me a wireless was a device that I used to use, to listen to 'Life with the Lyons' on Hi Gang! 8)

Ooops! I think I bumped the thread. Sorry folks .. :mrgreen:

Back