Very, very, very annoyed. 2 things.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had to pay £240 for a key fob for my van, which makes it worth more than the van.

Why, oh why, are people all of a sudden starting every sentence with the word 'so' ?

Rant over

"So" is nothing new. My darling mother religiously tripped out "so-so soup" every time I'd start a sentence with the word (along with "Hay's for horses" and "She's the cat's mother" to name but a few). I still do it (sorry) and hear "so-so soup" in my head shortly after. It drives me nuts! I now do it to my children :mrgreen:

So, I'll see your "so" and raise you a "like": But, like, you know, like, it's not like, like, you know!

Erm does it for me, I recently tried to watch a YouTube video the guy had gone to all the trouble involve in producing a video why on earth couldn't he have written a script on a white board etc, instead of :- "erm you do this erm then you twist this erm next erm I erm place this erm on the chuck erm & erm turn erm the lathe on erm & pick up an erm chisel" ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

As a junior audio person, I used to spend hours at a time (sometimes several days) de-umming interviewees for Down Your Way (Brian Johnston era). That meant physically cutting them out of the tape with a razor blade. We got moderately quick at it, although older colleagues were able to do it without even marking up the edit with a Chinagraph pencil.

For the worst ones we used to collect all the ums together in one long run -- usually sounded toe-curlingly hilarious. I even got to do one member of the Royal Family (who doesn't seem to have got much better in the 30+ years since).

My pet hate presently is like, er...

... like.

This is an affectation capable of turning the brightest of teenagers into a dribbling silly person. They all seem to be affected by it though. Horrible.

E.

PS: But "like" only wins by a short neck from the marching morons of the BBC web site, who think that "explainer" is a synonym for "explanation. Initially I thought they were indulging children on work experience visits, but they've not changed it for more than a year, so I can only assume the editor is, indeed, illiterate.

Like is just so, like annoying, with a slightly like raised inflection on the word annoying, like.

If strangling children was legal I'd've done it by now. My two can't seem to string a sentence together without at least 5 likes and 4 sos.

To make it worse when I brought it up at a recent parents day at the school the teacher replied sounding exactly like my kids - with no intentional irony or sarcasm.

I nearly, like F$*@ING KILLED HER!!!

Zeddedhed":11hrnsmm said:
My two can't seem to string a sentence together without at least 5 likes and 4 sos.

My nominally-grown-up children do it too (although, to be fair, it's the girls mainly, the younger two). I find becoming an echo works well, or just dropping into the same patois, especially at the dinner table. If I listen to them, unobserved, I note they sometimes manage entire "paragraphs" without a single coherent sentence. Goodness knows if either actually uderstands the other.

I think the government is using the same approach for policy making presently though, so it may become standard behaviour over time, like.

Graham Orm":261n8muw said:
Just had to pay £240 for a key fob for my van, which makes it worth more than the van.
VW ?
I paid a similar amount when I was daft enough to lose my spare last year.

What should be a consoling thought is that these expensive keys tied to a single vin plate have helped keep your/our insurance costs down due to the greatly reduced rate of car theft compared to the old and easy to hot wire ignition systems of old.

Still a PITA if you have to shell out for a new one :-(

Shtudents, shtrong, Chewsday, juty (instead of duty), jewel carriageway, ejucation (I've heard that come out of the mouth of a, supposedly educated, teacher), Yeah, I'm good (when asked the question "How are you?") and last but not least for now, sort of like (a favourite expression of James Martin).

And whilst I'm at it, why do television chefs have to "fry it off"?. Off what, the cooker?

I hate it when someone posts "I just brought a new tool " Instead of bought.....Brought it from where the bleedin shed?

So, like, What's the collective noun for a gathering of grumpy old men? A (g)rumble?

IHc1vtr+":o9wn9d1s said:
I hate it when someone posts "I just brought a new tool " Instead of bought.....Brought it from where the bleedin shed?
Don't be daft he brought it from the shop. It is unfortunate that a whole generation of children were taught to spell (that's a joke) using phonetics, it is not their fault they write is as they hear it and not a clue it is wrong. The other one I see on here often is advice and advise, one asks for advice and others will advise you. They are pronounced differently ice and ize respectively. But hey ho this is a wood working forum not an English class.

Wildman":28x9gkho said:
But hey ho this is a wood working forum not an English class.
It's just a shame the standard of English is so poor.
eg
blackrodd":28x9gkho said:
Trigs":28x9gkho said:
........ Also rattled up a quick tendon on the band saw and hey ho presto.
Not the tendon in you're hand I hope!
Look like you're on a winner A lock jig, I take it and you've adapted it for you're morticing,
Same thing really, I s'pose, once you get set probably faster than a cheepo morticer.
Regards Rodders
Oh, the irony.

Like is pretty bad. If someone does that in an interview with me, they do not get the job. I also dislike it when people say "no worries" when I ask them to do something. "Can I get" in cafes, restaurants etc has now replaced "May I have" and sounds idiotic to me.

AJB Temple":37xmkjt1 said:
Like is pretty bad. If someone does that in an interview with me, they do not get the job.

A lesson in things not to write on an unlocked forum on the Internet.

Rhossydd":zzu64124 said:
Wildman":zzu64124 said:
But hey ho this is a wood working forum not an English class.
It's just a shame the standard of English is so poor.
eg
blackrodd":zzu64124 said:
Trigs":zzu64124 said:
........ Also rattled up a quick tendon on the band saw and hey ho presto.
Not the tendon in you're hand I hope!
Look like you're on a winner A lock jig, I take it and you've adapted it for you're morticing,
Same thing really, I s'pose, once you get set probably faster than a cheepo morticer.
Regards Rodders
Oh, the irony.

I suspect that may be predictive (i.e. prescriptive) text. I often end up with very weird messages whilst trying to send a message fast whilst really thinking about something else.

It's the BBC's 'explainers' that is truly chilling abuse of English. If that really is the best they can do, it's pathetic.

Latest posts

Back