"FACT!"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that serif fonts are skeuomorphs from text carved in stone, the serifs being to allow clean ends to lines. I suppose that they could serve a similar function in print, making it a tad easier for readers to see the ends of strokes. This could be particularly useful where print is a bit sketchy, e.g. on a rough surface. SPECULATION!

Fact ? Nah !

I know for fact that my Airedale faces North North East which is why he goes around in circles until he can find his bearings.
Watching those circles I notice that they follow a pattern that mimics the movement of the Earth magnetic fields and the gravitational pull of the Moon .
So something to do with magnetic fields and the Tides aligning before he settles into the hunch.
I’m out with him for days sometimes.

They were cow pat sized. The English mastiff and the Pyrenean used to share a whole unwashed tripe for a meal.
That reminds me of a workmate who used to feed his spaniels on tripe, I'm sure it was just so no-one would ask him for a lift to site :sick:

I usually walk my two dogs twice a day and for the last year I have observed that on approx 80% of the times they have done their business on a walk they have been facing North or South with a 50/50ish split for each direction! Each dog will normally go once on each walk but the record is five between the two if them. Each deposit is either bagged or kicked into a ditch. I have not got any idea of the direction of depositing for the 20% when it is not N/S and these observations have been made in the Northern hemisphere.

I do not know if this helps or hinders the discussion!

True to my word, I went out today and made the following observations of Southern Hemisphere dogs at the cost of a pair of ripped trousers and a rather painful tetanus booster.
It would appear that wind direction is more of a factor than magnetic North/South or the Earth's rotation. Unlike Canada, where one of our contributors noted his dog kept his back to the wind, dogs in the Wellington Region invariably face into the wind and with their mouths slightly open. As Wellington is notoriously windy, there may be some aerodynamic forces at play here but I am not qualified to comment.
Just as interesting was the choice of location. Rough grassy areas, where the results are difficult to see, were eschewed in favour of freshly mown lawns or carefully tended flower beds. This may have something to do with pride of display.
Next came driveways and pavements with, for those dogs that have a propensity for chasing moving vehicles, cycle paths. These allow the dog to indulge both its passions without the need for a change of location.
Further down the list, but each with its aficionados, came children's play areas and public beaches.
Conclusion:
It isn't clear from the OP if the original observation was the result of an academic study but, if it was, I would recommend the researcher be given a quick kick in the slats for wasting public money. And that is a FACT.
Pete

Isn't it strange when some little phrase gets you?!
Very descriptive, woodhutt! That'll have me chuckling all day, matey...

I have always thought the serif face is regarded as easier to read, I suppose I was told this fact many years ago.
I do wonder if, assuming it to be true, it is because the top half of characters convey the most information about the letter in most cases, and serif fonts have more detail in their face which may add to this recognition.
Perhaps sans serif fonts lack as much information in the upper half making it necessary to observe the lower half too, so slowing reading speed.

I've started converting to Download the Atkinson Hyperlegible Font | Braille Institute because "greater legibility and readability for low vision readers" and it seems to make sense to try and make anything easier to read for as many as possible.

Back