Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
,,,, Under colonial rule one of the most prosperous countries in Africa.
But not for the Africans.
Ditto the abandoned colonies in general.
Rather like emptying prisons and expecting them to immediately pick up the trappings of a civilised life. It may take generations.

… and there I was, thinking this was a woodworkers’ forum. Nonetheless, some very diverse opinions. Quite educational I’d say. And I always seem to appreciate both sides of an argument. But can we get back to hammers and nails and screws and glues and stuff, now?

… and there I was, thinking this was a woodworkers’ forum. Nonetheless, some very diverse opinions. Quite educational I’d say. And I always seem to appreciate both sides of an argument. But can we get back to hammers and nails and screws and glues and stuff, now?
And sharpening ?

I think maybe this belongs here (with all due respect) and possibly this (can't find it, professor from Harvard or the likes explaining how history in the West has always been skewed with lots and lots of lies).

Regards the Liecester situation. It's not something that 'just' happened. Hindutva supporting members - chanting slogans similar to the ones shouted out by the BJP and Hindutva members when commiting the genocide in India which is currently taking place - have been coming out in Liecester on the streets with bats and knives. A few muslim youth were beaten almost to death. The Liecester muslim community is known (and rightly so) to be a very timid and peaceful lot (unlike Bradford where they're all a bit mental it appears).

Media reported nothing of it and the way these Hindutva supporters had been terrorising the muslims (my kids would have been one of them if we lived there). Suddenly the muslim community stands up to say 'enough is enough' and the media get on the bandwagon... Look here, them muslims at it again...

Full disclaimer - I'm a practising muslim (who happened to have saved many many lives across various ICUs during Covid and before) so I can appreciate how it's a conflict of interest (my view). But I'm sure CJ Werleman (ex Islam hater who joined the dots and now highlights the double standards) will soom have a video on it. Here's one he did earlier about the genocide happening right now in India - whilst the world smiles and looks on... Just saying!

Actually, here's one he did on the precursor of whats happening now... I'm sure if anyone goes through his channel they'll see more about the current genocide in India (against the muslims) if you can be bothered -

Funny how the Queens death brings about all sorts of links hey...

It is racist really because to be correct it should read all lives mater .

I
The BLM movement has never said that Black lives are more important than other lives. It is a reminder that Black lives do actually matter as in the US and here in the Dis-United Kingdom, cultural norms and values, and the actions of both states would suggest that they're not considered to matter as much as other folk's lives. By way of example
  • The proportion of BAME deaths in custody where restraint is a feature is over two times greater than it is in other deaths in custody
  • The proportion of BAME deaths in custody where use of force is a feature is over two times greater than it is in other deaths in custody
  • The proportion of BAME deaths in custody where mental health-related issues are a feature is nearly two times greater than it is in other deaths in custody
Not enough interest or time to type in all the inequality stats, but it is easy to see why many Black and other racial minorities consider that the state doesn't give a damn; especially when considering issues of health inequality arrest/stop-n-search figures that lead to NFA, much more likely to be detained under the Mental Health Act for displaying behaviour that does not get white people sectioned at anywhere near the same numbers. The stats for innocent black lives taken by US cops is shocking etc etc. It is true that other groups in society also live with systemic prejudice. The figures for disabled people, inc. Neurodivergent people are even worse but if you're black and disabled the figures are even more depressing. Systemic prejudice is a difficult force to counter, but counter it we must.

Last edited:
"... only possible because of the monarchy"
- Might be time to read a little wider in the history books, mate.

"Those who have, have worked for it..
Those who have not, expect society to give it to them."

I think we all know that whilst some do achieve financial gain purely through hard work, the vast majority of wealthy folk may well have worked incredibly hard, but they either started from some form of advantage, (family money, connections, etc) and/or hit a rich vein with assistance from peers, colleagues and employees.

Those who don't have it do NOT all just expect society to give it to them. That is just untrue.
No 1. A bit presumptuous to call someone " mate " unless you know them or are being rude
No 2 Truth is " how YOU see it " Maybe it's time you open your eyes and wake up to some cold hard facts !
Redistribution of wealth from those who earn, to those who do not earn - is not a real flash prospect unless you are at the receiving end.
I guess we agree to disagree.

1. I shouldn't have made such an assumption. When I was in Australia, 'mate' was a standard term of acknowledgement of another human. Clearly not where you live. Apologies, sir.
2. Yep

Indeed, good point and sorry (on my behalf). I keep meaning to not visit this thread. Will try harder ;-)
Anyway. Here's CJ Werleman explaining something about the Liecester violence that most British media don't like reporting. So please may I ask anyone citing the Liecester situation as, 'they're always at it against each other' please do stop it...

A bit of truth about what happens to a country turned into a colony

Thanks for sharing this, Marc. Although I had heard or read some of the info before, it is often tricky to find this stuff in the UK.

Maybe time more of us 'woke' up to the fuller picture of global history told from all sides, rather than just euro- or UK- centric. 🤔

Thanks for sharing this, Marc. Although I had heard or read some of the info before, it is often tricky to find this stuff in the UK.

Maybe time more of us 'woke' up to the fuller picture of global history told from all sides, rather than just euro- or UK- centric. 🤔
Exactly, I live in Wales, was educated when EVERYTHING was governed like a colony of england, was like something from the bleedin' 50s... it is a bit different now, youngsters here (at least) are rather woke<snigger>.. well, the brighter ones. Sods have been dragging us down the bog socially for the last 20-30 years. Makes me puke when people don't accept they have been spoon fed/brainwashed... oh no, they think they're too clever for that! ... I suppose those of consequence have had hundreds of years practice marshalling the drones.

1. I shouldn't have made such an assumption. When I was in Australia, 'mate' was a standard term of acknowledgement of another human. Clearly not where you live. Apologies, sir.
2. Yep
I always chuckle when the plod or a security guard says "chap"...

Or "Black Lives Matter" and so do everyone else's..
Great fan of Michael Conolly. The lead character in many of his books is a homicide detective named Harry Bosch. His guiding principle is "either everybody counts or nobody does" a good way of looking at things I think, and very much applicable in the context of this issue.

Can we just agree to disagree, in the UK we freely use the term mate as a generic term to address someone we may not know. As an example I have said " Hey mate can you tell me where I find the B1607 " to a total stranger when driving round a town I am not familiar with and they don't take offence. In Aus I think they prefix it with good day or G'day .

Great fan of Michael Conolly. The lead character in many of his books is a homicide detective named Harry Bosch. His guiding principle is "either everybody counts or nobody does" a good way of looking at things I think, and very much applicable in the context of this issue.

Great books I agree. Series on Amazon excellent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back