Wrist watch question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The op seems to have been royally shafted by the company he bought the watch from :(

I started collecting watches when I was 16, This is around half of what I have, Most of the rest were non runners that I used to scavenge parts from before my fingers became too arthritic and started dropping the tools in to the movements! :confused:

The rest I bought after this pic was taken (y)
InoU7e8.jpg

John..
Hi John did you ever scavenge parts from a genuine Rolex I wondered. I have a small collection of Rolex copies but your collection is out of another world. BTW I have bad arthritis too so sadly can't do stuff anymore well done.

Hi John did you ever scavenge parts from a genuine Rolex I wondered. I have a small collection of Rolex copies but your collection is out of another world. BTW I have bad arthritis too so sadly can't do stuff anymore well done.

I'm afraid I haven't scavenged parts from a Rolex, I do have two very old Rolex movements though!, One says Rebberg on, These were made for Rolex but to a very high standard!
I also have a few that are named as Rolex tradenames (They had over 50!!), Names like Unicorn, Tudor, Rolco etc, I've not looked at them for a few years though!! :giggle:

Quick update on the watch. I received an email yesterday from Jura. They say that MeisterSinger have now accepted to repair the watch under warranty. A good result! Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Also for the interesting watch knowledge that was also shared. Thank you @Richard_C for suggesting what I should write to Jura.

:)

Good result, it always pays to stand your ground. (y)
Co-incidently but slightly different I've always bought Seiko for years and the one I wear most currently I bought in Kuala Lumpur in 2015, nothing wrong with it but I bought a smart watch ( Huwaei GT2 pro) at the beginning of April, bought from Amazon at an excellent price. I like the watch but it has developed a battery fault so contacted Amazon and to my horror I discovered that the watch I thought was new was in fact 6 months old and s/h when I got it. My own fault for not noticing but I kicked up quite a a fuss and am getting a full refund.

Good result, it always pays to stand your ground. (y)
Co-incidently but slightly different I've always bought Seiko for years and the one I wear most currently I bought in Kuala Lumpur in 2015, nothing wrong with it but I bought a smart watch ( Huwaei GT2 pro) at the beginning of April, bought from Amazon at an excellent price. I like the watch but it has developed a battery fault so contacted Amazon and to my horror I discovered that the watch I thought was new was in fact 6 months old and s/h when I got it. My own fault for not noticing but I kicked up quite a a fuss and am getting a full refund.
Glad to hear you got a refund.

Glad you got it sorted. It will cost them very little. One way to think of such disputes is to get to the point where it is harder/more expensive for the retailer to refuse than it is for them to fix it.

I'm currently wearing my Avia Swissonic, a battery watch. The battery powers a transistor to provide pulses to drive a transducer, well before what we now call digital watches. They were relatively inexpensive then, and sell for c£100 today. It was a 21st birthday present, I'm 71 now. All still working. 🙂

I don't own any expensive watches, main daily one is a cheap lorus from 15 years back, light, grey case, reliable. One "curiosity" is an early Swatch, probably 1980s, black body and strap, black face and numbers, black hands. The hands and numbers are slightly glossy so you can read it if you get the viewing angle just right. I decided that if I was going too pay good money for a watch I didn't want anyone else reading it for free. Much like arriving at a fancy hotel in 2CV, which I sometimes did back in those days, it's a sort of anti-fashion statement.

I had a Swatch, a present from a shop owned by my uncle. It went wrong in the first week and was replaced. That one went wrong in the first week and was replaced. That one went wrong in the first week and was replaced. That one went wrong and I gave up.

Similar really. Had a couple of early Swatch which lasted well, including the black one which still runs. My wife had a couple of later ones, probably late 1990s, which failed after a few months so we gave up. Something went badly wrong with their QC. I think the early ones were Swiss made, don't know about the later ones. They started to make a huge range of types and colours, even had quite big shops in places like Covent Garden, airports, main stations. Don't know of any still exist.

Glad you got it sorted. It will cost them very little. One way to think of such disputes is to get to the point where it is harder/more expensive for the retailer to refuse than it is for them to fix it.

I'm currently wearing my Avia Swissonic, a battery watch. The battery powers a transistor to provide pulses to drive a transducer, well before what we now call digital watches. They were relatively inexpensive then, and sell for c£100 today. It was a 21st birthday present, I'm 71 now. All still working. 🙂

I don't own any expensive watches, main daily one is a cheap lorus from 15 years back, light, grey case, reliable. One "curiosity" is an early Swatch, probably 1980s, black body and strap, black face and numbers, black hands. The hands and numbers are slightly glossy so you can read it if you get the viewing angle just right. I decided that if I was going to pay good money for a watch I didn't want anyone else reading it for free. Much like arriving at a fancy hotel in 2CV, which I sometimes did back in those days, it's a sort of anti-fashion statement.
Avia have a lovely range—I might buy one.

The days of expensive watches are over for me. This episode has taught me much about watches that I was completely unaware of. Once I get my watch back—I’m selling it.

Great anti-fashion statement! :)

Back