Wrist watch question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my knowlege, such as it is, is based on years of collecting mostly vintage watches, pocket watches and clocks. I strip an rebuild all myself. I am largely self taught, with some help from a lovely old watchmaker, sadly now dead, who taught me some invaluable stuff. I have over a hundred pocket watches in my collection, mainly American makers. My favourites are probably the duplex dollar watches made by Waterbury. You can often get non working ones for stupid money as few watchmaker now have a clue how to work on a duplex, none having been made for over a hundred years. As for wristwatches, love the Seiko 5, not sure how many I have, too many! Also their contemporary Citizen 7. Recently had a pretty steep learning curve working out how to repair a 1950's Hamilton electric watch, that was fun!
I would say without doubt Omega of the brands you mention. Like for like better watches than Rolex for example, and cheaper. Rolex are good watches make no mistake, but vastly overpriced owing to the hype around them. Omega are, in my opinion anyway, one of the best of the as it were second tier makers. I have to confess bias as I have a Speedmaster, one of my favourites, much nicer than a sub, and a much better watch. The top tier are the so called "holy trinity" Patek Phiilipe, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin. If you have £40k+ to spend on a watch :)
Of course at the end of the day it depends whether they make a watch you like. But you have the assurance that your watch will hold its value well compared to the designer brands. Not a fan of Brietling, bit too bling for my taste. Tag make some nice watches but really not in the same class as Omega. I have to say I do rather like the Bremont watches. They always used to use heavily reworked top grade ETA based movements, and I believe still do in many of their watches, these are very good, Certainly an example of the best of watchmaking with out sourced movements. The few I have seen and handled were beautifully made and finished. They have recently developed their own in house movement, a big and brave move, so I would certainly consider them as a brand that is definitely on the rise, and British too!
I find your thoughts on watches useful and interesting. It’s much appreciated.

I have an eco drive, very nice and good value for I think just over £100 when I bought it. Only thing is you do need to keep it charged up. No problem if you wear it every day, but if you leave it for any length of time then a good idea to get it out and leave it in the light for a few hours once in a while. It will let you know if it's getting low as the second hand will jump forward several seconds at a time. Mine lives in the window of my study when I'm not wearing it, not in direct sunlight but enough to keep it topped up.
I got a Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive, the 37mm model in blue today. I changed the strap to match the deep blue of the dial. It cost £235—I’m happy with it. My wife likes it and she wants it!

If and when I get back the MeisterSinger I’m going to sell it most probably.

IMG_0463.jpeg

I have several watches, preferring Seiko, Tissot, and Citizen. I buy them at auction. I have come to prefer manual or automatic watches because replacing batteries is a pain, especially with the Divers watches where I can't do it myself (well I could but then they wouldn't be sealed properly). Any Divers from Seiko or Citizen will be tough as nails.

My favourite right now is a Seiko SKX007 from a Japan. Bought for €80 from a pawnbroker auction, mind you getting it serviced is €€€.

My father-in-law bought me an IWC Portofino when I got married, it comes out for weddings, funerals, and job interviews!

I am dreadful at live auctions, the boss has threatened to tie my hands behind my back several times 😂 Have to do it mostly online now. Love the Seiko automatics, all amazing value when you look how beautifully made they are, and pretty much bullet proof. Like the Portofino, lovely classic style, and a very generous gift!

@Fergie 307 - you sound to be quite knowledgeable in the realms of watches, so may I ask for some advice? Which watch 'producer' would you suggest, with the choices being around the Tag Heur/Brietling/Bremont/Omega ranges to name a few, are the more reputable? This insight is fascinating to learn more from.
Casio, choose from one of their better ranges, perhaps the Oceanus. Wear and forget.

what a brilliant subject......thanks to those taking part.......

so sick of taking off n on my Apple watch, it's going back in its box.........
only due to working around deep water.....

The op seems to have been royally shafted by the company he bought the watch from :(

I started collecting watches when I was 16, This is around half of what I have, Most of the rest were non runners that I used to scavenge parts from before my fingers became too arthritic and started dropping the tools in to the movements! :confused:

The rest I bought after this pic was taken (y)
InoU7e8.jpg

John..

The op seems to have been royally shafted by the company he bought the watch from :(

I started collecting watches when I was 16, This is around half of what I have, Most of the rest were non runners that I used to scavenge parts from before my fingers became too arthritic and started dropping the tools in to the movements! :confused:

InoU7e8.jpg

John..
Definitely going to show this to the boss, she thinks I'm bad with maybe 60+ working wristwatches and a dozen in the to do drawer, oh and 100+ pocket watches. A mere beginner 🤣

Know what you mean about age catching up with you. Don't normally do stuff for other people, except close family. Recently agreed to look at a lovely 1960's Zenith ladies watch. Given to a young lady friend of ours by her mum just before she died. Had been a gift to her from her husband when they got engaged, it apparently hadn't worked for some years. As he had also passed away it was of great sentimental value. As quite a sentimental old thing myself I agreed to have a look at it. My age related issue is with the old peepers, can still see to drive, but up close I'm a regular Mr Magoo. Definitely had to get out the thick glasses for this one. Only measures about 10mm across at the crown. Worth it though to see the look on her face when I returned it all nice and clean and working again. This isn't her actual watch but the same movement. Been a while since I did something that small, quite nerve wracking when you know how much it means to someone.

Attachments

• Zenith_1110-2.jpg
    Zenith_1110-2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
Know what you mean about age catching up with you. Don't normally do stuff for other people, except close family. Recently agreed to look at a lovely 1960's Zenith ladies watch. Given to a young lady friend of ours by her mum just before she died. Had been a gift to her from her husband when they got engaged, it apparently hadn't worked for some years. As he had also passed away it was of great sentimental value. As quite a sentimental old thing myself I agreed to have a look at it. My age related issue is with the old peepers, can still see to drive, but up close I'm a regular Mr Magoo. Definitely had to get out the thick glasses for this one. Only measures about 10mm across at the crown. Worth it though to see the look on her face when I returned it all nice and clean and working again. This isn't her actual watch but the same movement. Been a while since I did something that small, quite nerve wracking when you know how much it means to someone.

It got so bad with me that I sold my parts cleaning machine as everyone at work brought a watch for me to 'do' at some time or other, I was scared to death in case I damaged them beyong repairing so I got shut of my tools then could tell people that I don't have them any more :giggle:
It was a National Electric cleaner that worked fabul;ously after I rewired it!
GqnkECK.jpg

The speed controller and the drier switch (At the right)..
mnsChSZ.jpg

I still mess about with my own broken stuff but no stripping and cleaning/lubricating now, Just things like replacing batteries, Crystals etc (y)

John :)

That's a lovely old machine. I slum it with glass jars and an ultrasound bath :) I just find the whole process very therapeutic. May sound daft to some people, but if I need to really relax then I take a watch or a clock to bits, or work on whatever I already have on the go. But you are spot on, I find working on other people's stuff really scary.

I have an eco drive, very nice and good value for I think just over £100 when I bought it. Only thing is you do need to keep it charged up. No problem if you wear it every day, but if you leave it for any length of time then a good idea to get it out and leave it in the light for a few hours once in a while. It will let you know if it's getting low as the second hand will jump forward several seconds at a time. Mine lives in the window of my study when I'm not wearing it, not in direct sunlight but enough to keep it topped up.
I have a nice titanium cased eco drive with atomic clock synchronisation. It’s actually my second as the original one failed to charge after letting it go flat in a drawer. It was too expensive to repair at the time. A few months later I found a new one miss priced so got myself a replacement for less than the cost of the repair. This one lives on the window fill in my north facing bedroom. Still working great after 10 years. Problem is I rarely wear anything but an Apple watch these days.

Same. Each of mine were waterproof divers types and got washed every time I took a bath or shower.
I got into Russian watches at one time, still have quite a few. One of the guys I used to buy from got in contact with a 1940s German watch, how that came to be in Russian hands best left to the imagination. It had the original expanding metal bracelet. Without doubt the dirtiest watch I have ever seen. I had to put the bracelet through the washer about five times, and that was after a good go in the sink with a toothbrush! Pretty battered about but still works and keeps good time. If they could tell you their story I bet that would be an interesting one. You sometimes find other interesting stuff. I have a New England Jockey, advertised at the time as the perfect watch for boys. I got it in a very dirty state and when cleaning it noticed some very faint marks inside the case back. Getting the light and magnification just right you could see that it was an inscription, done very neatly by hand, presumably with a needle or similar. To (impossible to make out, probably Joshua) From your loving mama and papa on your 13th birthday 1899. So the advertising would appear to have been about right :)

InoU7e8.jpg

John..
Wow! You don’t have many watches :)

Back