Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you should see the potholes in Edinburgh. I moved here about 15 months ago and could not believe the state of most roads. No money, I suppose is the argument for failure to repair. Yet they can do it for 40 seconds of travel (to St Giles and back). Jeez. What a country.

indigent new word to me!!
I don't know if it's still a word in use here - like everywhere else, once you can identify people with a word, we change the word.

But the care homes here, and there are many (often called county homes, because the county authorities run them), are often called "homes for the elderly and indigent".

State institutions also housed some of the indigent, but it's much less common for people to get committed these days unless they're an imminent threat to themselves or someone else, or they need to go through a relatively difficult course of mental treatment that needs to be supervised to be safe.

And you should see the potholes in Edinburgh. I moved here about 15 months ago and could not believe the state of most roads. No money, I suppose is the argument for failure to repair. Yet they can do it for 40 seconds of travel (to St Giles and back). Jeez. What a country.

the roads are bad here, too - some of the issue is that we add to the roads but rarely eliminate them, even when they aren't economically useful like they used to be.

Population in my region has stayed the same or declined, but new neighborhoods are built and we never close the older roads - it's obviously not that easy to do it.

So the roads suffer - especially during the winter when freezing and thawing breaks them apart.

Road outside my house has been paved 3 times in the 16 years I"ve been here. Not sure how much more often they could do it, but it does settle and move with the freezing and thawing.

If they paved a thoroughfare in DC here for a state funeral, though, it wouldn't even cross my mind that it was a big deal.

They paved it for a quickly passing cortege. Then repaved it again. They could have used a different route (in past Haymarket) and saved money.

"?? Don't understand. Anyway I am the conscience of the Scots taxpayer."
what is there you don't understand , the cortege will never pass your way again!! so they will not repave for another funeral they have repaved now back to a normal road it is done so why have a moan it is done and nothing you or me can do about it. in Derbyshire we have loads of pothole they get done as they can afford it, it does me no good moaning on about it I can't change it and the same goes for you, you cannot change anything just get on with life.

what is there you don't understand , the cortege will never pass your way again!! so they will not repave for another funeral they have repaved now back to a normal road it is done so why have a moan it is done and nothing you or me can do about it. in Derbyshire we have loads of pothole they get done as they can afford it, it does me no good moaning on about it I can't change it and the same goes for you, you cannot change anything just get on with life.
You can't if you don't try.

How long is the length of road that they paved?

You show me how to change something that has already happened and I will give it a try.

Edit word change:

How long is the length of road that they paved?

From the end of Melville Street up to the start of Princes Street. 200m?

1664894627260.png

Cost seems to be between £50 and £100 a m2. See How Much Does It Cost To Resurface A Road? | Swift Surfacing

All of this hand wringing over several hundred thousand pounds of quick paving - and the money would've gone to people working.

I don't get it. It's fighting over a penny sized spot on the front walk and ignoring a house on fire.

All of this hand wringing over several hundred thousand pounds of quick paving - and the money would've gone to people working.

I don't get it. It's fighting over a penny sized spot on the front walk and ignoring a house on fire.

Watch the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

Watch the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

I think this is a good personal concept. For governments, I think it goes more Like "get the citizens to watch the pennies so you can spend the pounds while they're not looking.

See there is why we don’t get stuff done . Us Canadians are bad for it. We sit back and don’t complain. If you all got together, made enough noise, got newspaper radio on it. Had a sit in or something. Your pot holes and road would be top of list to be paved to shut you up. We have become a very complacent society. Politicians put out fires that’s it! Make a fire!

You don't even know the half of it mate, try living at the bottom of leith walk and its been like that for 5 years because of the effing tram that no-one here wants. I moved back here after cycling from Marakesh to Aberdeen the long way round visiting all sorts of places in between via Egypt & E Europe etc not once did I have a puncture or problem. Within 6 weeks of getting here I replaced 5 tubes, 2 tyres and a wheel. ECC spent £4.2m last year on repairs to damage caused by potholes to bikes and cars.

You don't even know the half of it mate, try living at the bottom of leith walk and its been like that for 5 years because of the effing tram that no-one here wants. I moved back here after cycling from Marakesh to Aberdeen the long way round visiting all sorts of places in between via Egypt & E Europe etc not once did I have a puncture or problem. Within 6 weeks of getting here I replaced 5 tubes, 2 tyres and a wheel. ECC spent £4.2m last year on repairs to damage caused by potholes to bikes and cars.

I look forward to the tram running down there. No idea why it has taken so long, but you'll forget that soon enough. The Raeburn to Leith cycleway will soon be in operation, too. Get cars out of the city centre, I say! We went down to one and may get rid of the second. It sits unused most of the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back