Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can regret things that happened, we can't apologise for them - they were nothing to do with us.

I find it odd that we are taken by some to be personally responsible for slavery etc. when we've been told for decades, quite correctly, that we mustn't the blame current populations of Countries who in living memory took the world into wars.
You've missed the point. Of course we are not "personally" responsible but it's within our power (or govts power) to do something about those who are still suffering the consequences. Take the Windrush fiasco as just one example. Or racism and colour prejudice as a whole.

Where's the middle ground, the healthy way, at nation level? Even in a 'democracy', it will have to mediate between the power-hungry and the easily-espoused who are striving for identity.
Why should there be a middle ground and why would it be healthy?

I am sure it would make interesting reading. My take was always that the Queen herself set a good example, as did Anne. Some of her other children's behaviour must have been a sad disappointment to her. Only time I found myself disappointed in the Queen herself was her readiness to dig Andrew out of the **** by buying off the complainant. A shameful episode altogether. Bit concerned to see him appearing in uniform at the vigil. I do hope Charles isn't intending to try and rehabilitate him in some way. Best thing for the family would be for Andrew to crawl away and hide permanently under a rock somewhere.

“The deeper outpouring of grief in the UK is understandable but seems also to unlock something else: grief, stress and sorrow over a fate the Disunited Kingdom has chosen for itself. The Queen’s funeral will mark the moment when Britain also bids farewell to the country as it was once known. The British empire used to anchor the UK firmly in the world. Later, as part of the EU it had international influence and remains still one of the biggest economies of the world.
“But questions hang over all of that. The empire is increasingly seen as a colonial crime and the strains of Brexit might tear the union itself apart. Scotland seeks independence. Northern Ireland is moving closer to the republic in the south. Having taken itself out of the daily business of the EU, Britain’s place in Europe is weaker. On the world stage it has to fight for attention as a mid-ranking trading nation going it alone.
“A country claiming to be Global Britain has, meanwhile, since Brexit, become a narrow minded, anti-immigrant, internally divided society. Driven by a sect-like group of conservative Brexiters it has ended up with a minister of energy who is a climate sceptic. It tells you a lot about the state of the UK that Jacob Rees-Mogg is more reactionary in his environmental policies than the new king Charles III.”

Not only the above, especially the last paragraph, but also we have no constructive opposition in Parliament or in the country. It's been dismantled.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...it-hard-european-journalists-on-britains-mood

You've missed the point. Of course we are not "personally" responsible but it's within our power (or govts power) to do something about those who are still suffering the consequences. Take the Windrush fiasco as just one example. Or racism and colour prejudice as a whole.
Windrush was indeed a fiasco, but I never quite understood how or why someone could live in a foreign Country for decades and not check upon their rights to be here. That doesn't make anything right, of course. If you expect the (any) government "to do something about those who are still suffering the consequences" you are making us personally responsible.

Windrush was indeed a fiasco, but I never quite understood how or why someone could live in a foreign Country for decades and not check upon their rights to be here.
They didn't know they were living in a foreign country.
If you expect the (any) government "to do something about those who are still suffering the consequences" you are making us personally responsible.
Basic morality says we should take responsibility for other's suffering, even if they come from Cornwall.
We have inherited their problems along with the wealth we extracted.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Jacob on that front. There are many issues where government has a clear duty to act to redress injustices for which government was responsible. Windrush, the Post Office imprisoning post masters for non existent crimes, the blood products scandal, I'm sure there are other examples. In every case successive governments of all political persuasions have sought to either flatly deny responsibility, or have dragged their heels in response to the extent that many people will die before they ever see any proper redress.

We can regret things that happened, we can't apologise for them - they were nothing to do with us.

I find it odd that we are taken by some to be personally responsible for slavery etc. when we've been told for decades, quite correctly, that we mustn't the blame current populations of Countries who in living memory took the world into wars.
The Americans were glad to have the slaves to work the fields etc, & the Chinese to build the railroads, then after a war to 'free' the slaves they didn't know what to do with them, or no longer wanted them. Once the railroads were built the Chinese were no longer 'wanted'.

There are many issues where government has a clear duty to act to redress injustices for which government was responsible. Windrush, the Post Office imprisoning post masters for non existent crimes, the blood products scandal, I'm sure there are other examples.
With you all the way - for current wrongs, not things that happened centuries ago.

I would suggest that on Monday we all spend the day in our workshops, sheds and any place we have our valuables because with the country closed and everyone focused on lizzies last journey then it could be a field day for the criminals knowing that there will be no police around and easy pickings.

As did May, as did Cameron, as did Brown, as did Blair ...
Name one who hasn't.
To give Brown or Blair some credit, they negotiated with the Establishment to reduce the number of Hereditary Lords in the HoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back