Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No more queuing for a while, the queue is full:

_126729056_queue_long_v2_640x2-nc.png

Oh, well. They'll just have to queue for the queue.

As it happens there is a queue for the queue in Southwark Park.....

Trivia- the inlet between miles 4 & 5 is where the river Neckinger flows into the Thames.

If they put the coffin on a low-loader they could drive up and down the queue and everybody would get a look in no time. Problem solved.😝
Ooh no it'd have to be a horse and cart with brass knobs on. Good idea though. :unsure:
If they stick with queuing they'd have to speed it up and get them jogging past. It could end up like the London Marathon

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest that on Monday to show respect to her Maj that we all should forsake the media, turn off the telly all day and get outside for a bit of fresh air and not sit there like couch potatoes and eating popcorn. :unsure:
but I've got the popcorn in already, before the rush:(

Was watching the royal car arriving at Cardiff castle (think that’s the place) and there seemed to be quite a lot of less than generous cheering. Is Charles not as popular there as some other parts of the UK? Wasn’t aware there that much hostility toward him.

Probably more popular in Wales than in much of Cornwall.
I think widely regarded everywhere as a bit of a berk.
I was amazed to notice that even though having been P of Wales for 50+ years he can't speak Welsh!

I think widely regarded everywhere as a bit of a berk.
Which has crucial implications for the institution of monarchy in the UK, which could well peter out during his reign or even more certainly that of his son ...

Media & its management could be a crucial hinge in the process - it's hard to imagine his mother being caught in public cursing a pen, for instance ... ‘Oh god I hate this’: King Charles expresses frustration over leaking pen

Maybe nations, as long as nations exist, tend to employing figureheads as a form of symbolism - and I can see a certain appeal in the faux-mystical dimension of royalty, compared to the more prosaic & hopefully non-heredity versions such as presidents.

I think what bugs me essentially is the assumption of privilege & its connection with great wealth.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty well proven that communism, at nation scale at least, doesn't work either. So where does that leave us?

Muddle on, shall we? That sounds rather British! But perhaps it's the universal answer.

Where's the middle ground, the healthy way, at nation level? Even in a 'democracy', it will have to mediate between the power-hungry and the easily-espoused who are striving for identity.

Last edited:
Which has crucial implications for the institution of monarchy in the UK, which could well peter out during his reign or even more certainly that of his son ...

Media & its management could be a crucial hinge in the process - it's hard to imagine his mother being caught in public cursing a pen, for instance ... ‘Oh god I hate this’: King Charles expresses frustration over leaking pen

Maybe nations, as long as nations exist, tend to employing figureheads as a form of symbolism - and I can see a certain appeal in the faux-mystical dimension of royalty, compared to the more prosaic & hopefully non-heredity versions such as presidents.

I think what bugs me essentially is the assumption of privilege & its connection with great wealth.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty well proven that communism, at nation scale at least, doesn't work either. So where does that leave us?

Muddle on, shall we? That sounds rather British! But perhaps it's the universal answer.
Why is the monarchy at greater risk under William reign? I think Charles will be a caretaker at 73 and Williams reign will be one of greater duration??

I'd like to suggest that on Monday to show respect to her Maj that we all should forsake the media, turn off the telly all day and get outside for a bit of fresh air and not sit there like couch potatoes and eating popcorn. :unsure:
Or you could stop being your usual miserable irate person.

Oh, well. They'll just have to queue for the queue.
Yes and they are very happy and willing to do this. They are very content to do this. No chips on shoulders. For whatever reason. No constant sniping. Here's an idea...why not start your own thread ? "I hate the Monarchy" . You and Jacob could be founding members.

I was watching the queue briefly earlier to see a friend who went down to pay his respects. I did find it strange that there seemed to be quite a few people who, having queued for hours, seemed to just walk straight past without apparently even looking at the coffin.

Things could be done and the past is still with us.
We can regret things that happened, we can't apologise for them - they were nothing to do with us.

I find it odd that we are taken by some to be personally responsible for slavery etc. when we've been told for decades, quite correctly, that we mustn't the blame current populations of Countries who in living memory took the world into wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back