Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure RIP is a specifically religious sentiment. I can't see a problem with people believing whatever they like, if it gives them some comfort then so be it. My problem with religion in general is that if you look at the teachings on the one hand, and some of the stuff that has been done by alleged adherents on the other, it is very difficult to reconcile the two. Look at some of the truly barbaric behaviour carried out in the name of Christianity or Islam as just two examples. Thou shall not kill. A commendably unequivocal instruction, but not seen as an obstacle by various Popes urging their followers to go and murder muslims in the crusades. So not sure religion in and of itself is an issue, more the way people have twisted and manipulated it to their own ends.
Rule two for abrahamic religions is not actually "thou shalt not kill" but "though shall not murder" in the original Hebrew/Aramaic, with kill coming in to vogue in the KJ translation/print. Personally I'd go for the sinners bible with the rule "Thou shall commit adultery"

Rule two for abrahamic religions is not actually "thou shalt not kill" but "though shall not murder" in the original Hebrew/Aramaic, with kill coming in to vogue in the KJ translation/print. Personally I'd go for the sinners bible with the rule "Thou shall commit adultery"
And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it’s not murder if you do it for a god).

Terry Pratchett.

Was the church of england not created just so old Henry could re marry ! If there is but one creator then how have we ended up with so many religons, they cannot all be legit. Then is it not said in the bible that we should not worship false gods or idols, so what are these people all dressed up in purple and having titles like the archibishop of such and such, are they not putting themselves forward as being better or different to the masses !!

We can regret things that happened, we can't apologise for them - they were nothing to do with us.

I find it odd that we are taken by some to be personally responsible for slavery etc. when we've been told for decades, quite correctly, that we mustn't the blame current populations of Countries who in living memory took the world into wars.
You're right. We shouldn't punish ourselves for the actions of those who went before. But it's important to learn from them. As far as I'm concerned, those countries that were colonised by our British ancestors are in a better place today for it.

You're right. We shouldn't punish ourselves for the actions of those who went before. But it's important to learn from them. As far as I'm concerned, those countries that were colonised by our British ancestors are in a better place today for it.
Really? India-Pakistan and the horrors of partition, I doubt it.

I thought this was a thread to respect the passing of a great monarch.
What a incredible job She did - and my thanks and great respect.

Sadly, I can never forgive Charles for what happened with Diana. So to me, Charles can NEVER live up to his Mothers example. Whilst I have the greatest respect for the position, I have NO respect for the new King.

I doubt we will ever be another Monarch that comes anywhere close to Elizabeth 11

Not only the colonies the regime practised everything on the British population first, the devastation of Ireland, the clearances of the Highlands, similar atrocities in Wales. The effects are still with us, for instance in Scotland land distribution is more feudal than anywhere in Europe with the same families who committed many of the clearances, still in power and owning the land. In England too the clearances happened and are still happening but in a less conspicuous way e.g. the Kinder trespass is in living memory, or the issue of second homes is dominating life in many areas. Any part of Britain which is vaguely attractive and picturesque has become a playground for the better off and a worse to impossible place for the less well off.

Sadly, I think we have some sick puppies on this site.
This was not an invitation to condemn the Monarchy or express your political views, just to pay your own respects- not to show crass ignorant opinions.
What happened to the true English respect and politeness ?
An elderly LADY has passed - one who has given more than anyone here, and we should all respect that with dignity and restraint and gratitude.
If you can't do that the find another site.

Sadly, I think we have some sick puppies on this site.
This was not an invitation to condemn the Monarchy or express your political views, just to pay your own respects- not to show crass ignorant opinions.
What happened to the true English respect and politeness ?
An elderly LADY has passed - one who has given more than anyone here, and we should all respect that with dignity and restraint and gratitude.

You are cancelling? If I have understood the new term.

There are plenty of places for you elsewhere! Log into Facebook
n.b. the dissent you see on here is not about her Maj herself it's about the regime and institution of which the monarch is nominal head - more symbolic puppet than leader in any real sense. She did it well; a difficult act to follow for poor old Charley, not least having to pretend to be absolutely apolitical whilst acting in an intensely political role.

Last edited:
So banish anyone who doesn't agree with you or is man enough to state an opinion of their own rather than follow the herd.
But how big is the Herd?, take a look at how many thousands/millions have travelled to pay their respects to the late queen as against how many can sit at home and po po it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back