Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to suggest that on Monday to show respect to her Maj that we all should forsake the media, turn off the telly all day and get outside for a bit of fresh air and not sit there like couch potatoes and eating popcorn. :unsure:

Last edited:
he was a director of the Royal Africa Company, patron at the time Charles II brother. The company branded their slaves with the initial RAC. But this was, shamefully, perfectly normal in those times. Where does your torture and murder account come from. As to his being regarded badly by his contemporaries, then why did they put up a statue, and name so many things after him.
The facts are that yes he made a great deal of money, at least in part from his involvement in the Royal Africa Company. Many other made huge sums on the back of the slave trade. What singled Coulson out for attention was that after his departure from RAC he chose to spend a considerable proportion of his money on charitable works for the benefit of the local people, many of whom I suspect continue to benefit from his legacies and endowments. Most of his contemporaries trousered the money and built bigger houses or whatever. So did his connections with the slave trade make him an evil man? In our eyes today, undoubtedly. But to his contemporaries this would not have been to his detriment at all, and his philanthropic works made him a local hero. This is just the sort of story that needs telling so people can understand just how normal this was at the time, and how embedded the idea of slavery was in our society that a company that branded people with hot irons could be regarded as a perfectly reasonable investment opportunity.
There was an interesting documentary made shortly before the toppling of the statue. The reporter was black, and with a family history of slavery. There was quite an emotional.moment when he discovered that His own ancestors had very likely been sold by the very company Coulson was involved with. His view was that the statue should remain, but accompanied by a more detailed explanation of his history. They also interviewed a young black lady who had benefited from one of his foundations for the education of the poor, which had put her through university of I recall correctly. She understandably had mixed emotions, but came to a similar conclusion, leave it up and use it to educate people about the past.
If it was left for all to see then passers by might stop, thinking " I wonder who this was" and, given appropriate information, would get a thought provoking history lesson. As it is I suspect that in a few years time no one will know who he was or the story behind him.
The most brilliant thing of the Colston statue episode was the black girl who stood briefly in it's place and Marc Quinn's statue which followed. We need to talk about the Jen Reid statue
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...e-colston-jen-reid-black-lives-matter-bristolSomething similar could be done in many places - suitable statues of victims in the place of the perpetrators. Like the Berlin holocaust memorial but one by one.

he was a director of the Royal Africa Company, patron at the time Charles II brother. The company branded their slaves with the initial RAC. But this was, shamefully, perfectly normal in those times. Where does your torture and murder account come from. As to his being regarded badly by his contemporaries, then why did they put up a statue, and name so many things after him.
The facts are that yes he made a great deal of money, at least in part from his involvement in the Royal Africa Company. Many other made huge sums on the back of the slave trade. What singled Coulson out for attention was that after his departure from RAC he chose to spend a considerable proportion of his money on charitable works for the benefit of the local people, many of whom I suspect continue to benefit from his legacies and endowments. Most of his contemporaries trousered the money and built bigger houses or whatever. So did his connections with the slave trade make him an evil man? In our eyes today, undoubtedly. But to his contemporaries this would not have been to his detriment at all, and his philanthropic works made him a local hero. This is just the sort of story that needs telling so people can understand just how normal this was at the time, and how embedded the idea of slavery was in our society that a company that branded people with hot irons could be regarded as a perfectly reasonable investment opportunity.
There was an interesting documentary made shortly before the toppling of the statue. The reporter was black, and with a family history of slavery. There was quite an emotional.moment when he discovered that His own ancestors had very likely been sold by the very company Coulson was involved with. His view was that the statue should remain, but accompanied by a more detailed explanation of his history. They also interviewed a young black lady who had benefited from one of his foundations for the education of the poor, which had put her through university of I recall correctly. She understandably had mixed emotions, but came to a similar conclusion, leave it up and use it to educate people about the past.
If it was left for all to see then passers by might stop, thinking " I wonder who this was" and, given appropriate information, would get a thought provoking history lesson. As it is I suspect that in a few years time no one will know who he was or the story behind him.
Sorry, I was talking about Picton. He WAS so nasty, even in his own time. His descendants don't even defend him.

Sorry, I was talking about Picton. He WAS so nasty, even in his own time. His descendants don't even defend him.
Donnt apologise, they were all pretty unpleasant. I find Coulson particulary interesting , and I think important, because a familiarity with his story is like a one stop shop of all the issues that surround this aspect of our history. It encompasses the brutality of the trade itself, and its social acceptability at the time.

Things could be done and the past is still with us.
No, the past is just the past. The people of today are not responsible for the behaviour of their ancestors. We can, at most, offer our sympathy for those who suffered in the past. Their descendants don't seem to complain much unless they think there's a financial benefit in the offing.

As I recall she had no problem and was even happy meeting McGuinness, she knew that it was an important thing to do for the peace and legacy process at the time. She seemed to get on well with him.
Same can be said for Charles and his meetings with Gerry Adams which was repeated with Michelle O'Neill at Hillsborough yesterday.

PS- not sure McGuinness was involved in the Mullaghmore tragedy, that was the South Armagh outfit. As an aside Mountbatten ironically was in favour of an United Ireland.
Given the history and the closeness of her relationship with Mountbatten, I very much doubt she was happy about it at all. But she was a true proffessional and it was her job to be nice to people in the interests of our country, and she was very good at it. I recall watching coverage at the time and found Phillip's body language very interesting. No way he was going to shake his hand. I am reminded of the old saying " the people we make peace with are necessarily our enemies, for we have no need to make peace with our friends". I suspect that in reality it may have been one of the more difficult things she was called upon to do, and a testament to her sense of duty that she was able to bring it off with such good grace. As for McGuiness, he and Adams surely played a very important part in the peace process, for which they are to be applauded. But to suggest that as leaders of the IRA at the time they had no involvement in Mountbattens murder, is I think a little naive.

If you are the type that likes watching the kettle boil or paint dry then the BBC has good coverage of the guiness book of records attempt at the longest queue, you can watch it all day from many angles and there is a lot of queue discussion as well.
That is so in keeping with the solemnity of the occasion. Words fail me, they really do.

Next in line for the big job.
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 10.32.13.png

I am disgusted with these comments but there you go foreigner! Your must be the minority as your countries still hold faith to our Monarch.

I'd like to suggest that on Monday to show respect to her Maj that we all should forsake the media, turn off the telly all day and get outside for a bit of fresh air and not sit there like couch potatoes and eating popcorn. :unsure:

Why, what's happening on Monday? Have I missed something? I didn't see anything mentioned on the news.

Given the history and the closeness of her relationship with Mountbatten, I very much doubt she was happy about it at all. But she was a true proffessional and it was her job to be nice to people in the interests of our country, and she was very good at it. I recall watching coverage at the time and found Phillip's body language very interesting. No way he was going to shake his hand. I am reminded of the old saying " the people we make peace with are necessarily our enemies, for we have no need to make peace with our friends". I suspect that in reality it may have been one of the more difficult things she was called upon to do, and a testament to her sense of duty that she was able to bring it off with such good grace. As for McGuiness, he and Adams surely played a very important part in the peace process, for which they are to be applauded. But to suggest that as leaders of the IRA at the time they had no involvement in Mountbattens murder, is I think a little naive.

You'll be on BBC next..... : )

God forbid. They must get bored with it surely, droning on for hours non stop, finding increasingly obscure people to interview. I think it reached a low for me when Diana died and scraping the barrel for stories someone had an interview with her colonic irrigationist. Not sure anyone would have wanted to know what "insight" she might have provided.

People might like to show respect for her Maj by turning the telly off all day on Monday, get out in the fresh air, stop being couch potatoes and stop eating popcorn. That's what I'll be doing (or not doing).
It is a bank holiday after all, they should have done it on a week day.:rolleyes:

bbc providing amazing value for money by continuing to report on the box office queue. This morning on radio 4 they let me know that Charlie is in welsh wales, and he is accompanied by Camilla who is the queen consort. The bbc dunces tell us this in every mention of her as they think the british people are too dim to remember her daft title.

She's done well though, having gone from C III's bit of skirt on the side to QC in the past decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back