Joke Thread III

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I genuinely ask why so many people are using the word "of" instead of "have" these days?

Annoying, isn't it?
Basic grammar, you'd have thought.

My grandson showed me two of his school test results recently, and each teacher had made the same error writing their review of the boy's achievements.
I suspect that the mistake results from the spoken word - using "would've" as opposed to "would have", for example - and the laziness has taken over from there?

Annoying, isn't it?
Basic grammar, you'd have thought.

My grandson showed me two of his school test results recently, and each teacher had made the same error writing their review of the boy's achievements.
I suspect that the mistake results from the spoken word - using "would've" as opposed to "would have", for example - and the laziness has taken over from there?
U R quite rite! ;)

Screenshot_20230211-103106.png

I think it's because 'could have' is often abbreviated to 'could've ' which sounds like 'could of'.
So aural and visual illiteracy, to accompany the oral and verbal varieties - sounds like a clean sweep, doesn't it?

I still struggle to convince my class of English learners that "native speaker" and "competent user" aren't even vaguely synonymous these days...:cry:

I definately agree.
Grammer and speling seperate the sheep from the goat's.

It amuses me how autocorrect often turns the misspelt version of "definitely" into "defiantly".
Or possibly because language evolves, it always has and always will. Try reading middle English from say the 1500s, if you go back much further than that it becomes almost incomprehensible.

Can I genuinely ask why so many people are using the word "of" instead of "have" these days?
Those extra 2 letters might (of) have caused a serious set back in my recovery . But on a serious note in today's society spelling and abbreviation have gone out of the window if you really want to make changes to that you need to start at the early learning stage not with us Old ones I'm not asking for a manuscript to be proofed . ITS A JOKE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back