Joke Thread II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe - but I don't know, so I won't pretend. I suspect though, it may have been one of the comic writers. My money would be on Aristophanes (b. c.450BC). It's the sort of thing he would write about. Aesop was more into moral tales.
Nah! It was those two Roman guys Morecombus and Wiseus. 😁

Maybe - but I don't know, so I won't pretend. I suspect though, it may have been one of the comic writers. My money would be on Aristophanes (b. c.450BC). It's the sort of thing he would write about. Aesop was more into moral tales.

"Fabled-ulous" anyway! Sorry ....., hat, ........ coat, .......... Bye.

7E0C3DFE-D4F1-4E2A-A5ED-B7FCBDB36349.jpeg

At the start of the lunchbreak, a Russian judge walked through the door at the back of his courtroom, into the service corridor reserved for people of his exalted status. As he did so he chuckled to himself.

"What's so funny?" his fellow judge asked, having also just started his lunch recess.

"Josef, I have just heard the funniest joke in years", he chuckled.

"Come on then, let's hear it. We could do with a few laughs round here". Josef said.

"Don't be silly", the first judge said. "I have just sentenced a man to three years for telling that joke!"

The moment a "joke" is scrutinised or analysed it ceases
to be funny. (If indeed it was, in the first place).
Generally - almost always - I agree with this but I do know of one exception. It dates back a few years but let's see how many people understand the joke.

It goes back to when a goalkeeper called David Seaman was nearing the end of his top-level career and apparently he let in a series of "easy" goals. Don't ask for details because I am not a football fan. Anyway, a newspaper ran a caption competition based on a photo of the ball getting past him for one of these goals. The winning caption was "Even the ancient mariner...". I didn't understand it until it was explained to me but once it was explained I did think it was funny. Does the panel agree?

How many people understand the joke? How many people think it is funny? How many people, like me, need the joke explained but then agree that it is funny?

Generally - almost always - I agree with this but I do know of one exception. It dates back a few years but let's see how many people understand the joke.

It goes back to when a goalkeeper called David Seaman was nearing the end of his top-level career and apparently he let in a series of "easy" goals. Don't ask for details because I am not a football fan. Anyway, a newspaper ran a caption competition based on a photo of the ball getting past him for one of these goals. The winning caption was "Even the ancient mariner...". I didn't understand it until it was explained to me but once it was explained I did think it was funny. Does the panel agree?

How many people understand the joke? How many people think it is funny? How many people, like me, need the joke explained but then agree that it is funny?
"He stoppeth one of three."

Exactly. I didn't know the poem so I had to have it explained to me. After that I did think it was both clever and funny. It isn't often that a joke is funny if it has to be explained.

Well, he did write about a tortoise [& a hare] :) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back