Multico morticing machine - dismantling work clamp for renovation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_K

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this website, and I do not know if this is the correct forum to post in, as I could not find a forum for "woodworking machines" or "renovating machinery projects". Please advise if another forum would be more appropriate.

I have bought a Multico morticing machine that needs some work to get it operational. One part that needs attention is the clamping/work-holding mechanism.

I want to be able to dismantle it to clean it and repair damaged threads, etc. I can not see any obvious way to remove the clamping pad from the lead-screw ball-end fitting. I found another thread on this website that has a photo of the type of mechanism that is fitted to my machine. (Mine has the metal, swivelling handle, not the plastic knob, shown further up in the posting).

Please see the atttached thread URL/photo. It is in the posting my a member called "Custard".

multico-m1-morticer-clamping-mechanism.92933

Is the ball-and-socket joint swaged together when it is manufactured, or is there a way to dismantle it without destroying the socket piece on the clamping pad? Has anyone dismantled these pieces on a Multico before?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Rob

The picture/link to the other thread is not showing.

I think it is post #7 in this one, but please speak up if it is not:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/multico-k1-mortiser.112140/

Strip the paint off the casting surrounding the leadscrew. That might reveal a hidden pin. Examine all 360 degrees around the screw as well as the work-facing side of the jaw.

Given that there is a rigid rod above the leadscrew, a ball and socket joint has no useful function as the rod restrains the joint from moving.

If you remove the handle, will the jaw unthread forwards out of the fixed part? That would allow you to examine the joint very well and post some close up photos for further consideration.

Potentially, you could file down the swaged bit enough to remove the screw and then make a split washer held in place with countersunk screws to retain the screw on reassembly.

On my Sedgwick morticer there is a grub screw on the collar, it’s very obvious so I doubt yours is hiding. My only thought is that the head pivots off the screw, the solid rod possibly preventing this pivot, can you unscrew the solid rod?
IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

The picture/link to the other thread is not showing.

I think it is post #7 in this one, but please speak up if it is not:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/multico-k1-mortiser.112140/

Strip the paint off the casting surrounding the leadscrew. That might reveal a hidden pin. Examine all 360 degrees around the screw as well as the work-facing side of the jaw.

Given that there is a rigid rod above the leadscrew, a ball and socket joint has no useful function as the rod restrains the joint from moving.

If you remove the handle, will the jaw unthread forwards out of the fixed part? That would allow you to examine the joint very well and post some close up photos for further consideration.

Potentially, you could file down the swaged bit enough to remove the screw and then make a split washer held in place with countersunk screws to retain the screw on reassembly.
On my Sedgwick morticer there is a grub screw on the collar, it’s very obvious so I doubt yours is hiding. My only thought is that the head pivots off the screw, the solid rod possibly preventing this pivot, can you unscrew the solid rod?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have removed the solid rod. I will have to get some paint stripper and wire wool on the ball socket casting to see if there is a pin or grub screw burid in it. Nothing is showing through the (several) layers of paint.

I will remove the swivelling handle and see if I can unscrew it the other way.

Regards,

Rob

View attachment 179987
View attachment 179986

Hi,

The solid rod is out, but the pressure pad does not pivot off te lead screw. I will remove some paint and look for a retaining pin or grub screw.

Regards,

Rob

Back