Bobby's new build thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MusicMan":hkpamg9f said:
Great work. Can't wait to see the kitchen you'll put in!

If it's anything like some of the other kitchen fitters on here, it might take a while. *cough*bern*cough*.

Kitchen is 80% made.
Study is about 50% made.

to make bedroom furniture son's and ours (minimum)
5 bathroom cabinets

Bob - you need to check your web host.

CaptureBob.PNG

Attachments

• CaptureBob.PNG
    CaptureBob.PNG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,336
I have no problems viewing Dr Bob's website on either Pale Moon or IE 11 browsers, using Windows 8.1 & Windows Defender (essentially the same as Microsoft Security Essentials).

One side of the roof is complete, all tiled velux windows in, concreted edges and leading being done. The other side is started and might be finished for the weekend. We are having the top floor. From the front the roof on the right is our bedroom the roof on the left is our bathroom.

IMG_1368_zpslsxirkny.jpg

IMG_1364_zpsvyxn9frw.jpg

IMG_1381_zps3wx8gil1.jpg

Rear roof just about there, kitchen double vault started.
Electrics and plumbing all going well.
Waiting for planning on a triple timber garage, should come this week. This will house cars, garden stuff and also be a plant room for the ground source heat pump. So once we get planning we can start digging up about 500m of trenches for the pipework.

Looking good Bob.

A 'Master Floor' - that's the way to do it!

Is there a reason why one of the velux windows on the back is 'out of line' with the others?

stuartpaul":2je3y08z said:
Looking good Bob.

A 'Master Floor' - that's the way to do it!

Is there a reason why one of the velux windows on the back is 'out of line' with the others?

yes, the 2 windows on the right are our bedroom, the 2 windows on the left are the bathroom, and the middle window is the staircase window, it is above a closet so needed lifting up.
The middle window on the front is for the walk in dressing room, which was going to be the bathroom until we had a swap round.

Couple of shots of the house from the top of the garden

IMG_1412_zpsynlhb78n.jpg

IMG_1408_zpswclzheki.jpg

Coupleof shots from the loft room windows

IMG_1403_zpsm8hcdd38.jpg

IMG_1402_zpsrbdtupo2.jpg

The kitchen

IMG_1391_zpshtv9f1us.jpg

IMG_1392_zps6xo0wqbe.jpg

IMG_1390_zps6icxlzpe.jpg

The penthouse

Bedroom this end, en suite bathroom the far end and a dressing room in the middle

IMG_1398_zpspqmgefln.jpg

It's going to be a super house Bob. I live in a bungalow where all the rooms on the same level and no stairs to climb, so find your upstairs rooms in particular very interesting.

John

I've sifted through this thread, and it seems you are going ground source heating? I wonder what the costs to run are for a place of that size. We're a similar size, although more "flat and laid out" for want of a better way to describe it and we're on air source heat pumps, I suspect yours will cost much less to run than ours. The oil range broke within a few months of us moving in, so I switched us over.

Part of me wishes we'd gone ground source, but there were time constraints in place and it was Winter. When the air pumps go here, we'll certainly go ground source. I'm tempted to lay the pipes sometime regardless, if the cost isn't too prohibitive. Do you have a materials only cost for that by chance?

We're only electric here and our annual bill is around £1600. That's heating, hot water, my workshop, home usage (we're heavy users). Keeps the house around 20 degrees 24/7. [smug mode] I can't imagine living somewhere where it's cold in the middle of the night now.

Solar panels on the workshop pull in around £500 a year (20p tariff) and the RHI is £420 a quarter. No idea why, something to do with the Green Deal Assessment being badly done by British Gas a few years back when nobody even knew how to do a Green Deal Assessment properly. They didn't, had them back three times before they got it right.

Bought the Heat Pumps off a bloke, fitted them with a plumber mate, along with uprating a load of rads in the older part of the house (that's where our heat losses mount up, 500 year old cottage and no insulation) and had them checked and signed off. Got the RHPP grant within a few months (RHI hadn't started when we fitted them) then the RHI a year or so later, minus the grant money.

So it's cost us nothing in the long term. I think it'll cost you less than nothing as the ground source ought to last longer than the heat pumps we have?

As an aside, I hate the way the "austerity" appears to be pointing everything towards shale gas, lobbying and mates of the Government. It's embarrassing really, compared to the rest of the World when they signed up to whatever they signed up to in Paris.

And after all that (sort of) bragging, the pumps will of course catch fire tonight and destroy part of the house, the part where I keep my Fabergé egg collection wrapped in £50 notes.

I can't give you running costs, however it's a system with a coefficient of 1:4, so in theory for every 1kw i put in I get 4 KW back.

The government will give me a renewable energy payment for 4 years which should cover the cost plus some, so it's a no brainer really.

Getting the money from the government is the tricky bit.

doctor Bob":8c4jhwes said:
I can't give you running costs, however it's a system with a coefficient of 1:4, so in theory for every 1kw i put in I get 4 KW back.

The government will give me a renewable energy payment for 4 years which should cover the cost plus some, so it's a no brainer really.

The department for it are in Edinburgh, and they're ever so helpful. You'll be fine.

Think our heat pumps are 1:4, just thought ground source was more "efficient" than the air source. I know of people who "say", you know people who "say" things, that their house only costs £25 a month to heat on "our ground source..." I stop listening at that point. It's not jealousy, my BS meter goes off and I filter.

Wuffles":1rdeaiub said:
doctor Bob":1rdeaiub said:

The department for it are in Edinburgh, and they're ever so helpful. You'll be fine.

Think our heat pumps are 1:4, just thought ground source was more "efficient" than the air source. I know of people who "say", you know people who "say" things, that their house only costs £25 a month to heat on "our ground source..." I stop listening at that point. It's not jealousy, my BS meter goes off and I filter.

I thought air source was about 1:2.5 ish

Back