Bobby's new build thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor Bob":lx0x41ao said:
Wuffles":lx0x41ao said:
doctor Bob":lx0x41ao said:
I can't give you running costs, however it's a system with a coefficient of 1:4, so in theory for every 1kw i put in I get 4 KW back.

The government will give me a renewable energy payment for 4 years which should cover the cost plus some, so it's a no brainer really.

Getting the money from the government is the tricky bit.

The department for it are in Edinburgh, and they're ever so helpful. You'll be fine.

Think our heat pumps are 1:4, just thought ground source was more "efficient" than the air source. I know of people who "say", you know people who "say" things, that their house only costs £25 a month to heat on "our ground source..." I stop listening at that point. It's not jealousy, my BS meter goes off and I filter.

I thought air source was about 1:2.5 ish

Could well be, mind you, could be 4:1 :shock:

This is air to water I'm talking about mind you, we're probably on the same page, just checking. It turns out that's what went wrong with the Green Deal Assessment, the default on the software the use for it is Air to Air which gave the house an E rating, under that, click the Air to Water option and it went to a B.

Still, £1600 a year is, apparently, not bad considering the benefits, so if you get better than that you'll be laughing.

Right, just clarified in the book and it's because air temp changes a lot more than the ground area would, so the figures are variable. 1:4 efficiency on a good day, and it drops if the air temp drops to -7 degrees (down to 1:25).

This is why I will eventually go ground source as it's less seasonally affected. Infrastructure inside the house remains the same I think.

No skills":1pufrc6c said:
Do you think you'll be very picky with the window quality seeing as it's something you might of done yourself?

I hope so, the company gave me a guided tour of their workshop. They were the best sliding sashes I've seen, Traditional profiles, skinny lambs tongue, accoya (exterior) and engineered soft wood (to hit good u values)

The detail, quality and guarantee are unbeatable. To be honest I got a great deal on them. They let slip they were quiet and I negotiated a good deal by letting them do them immediately.

I've worked on a lot of great properties around this area, Westbury windows are considered the Rolls Royce of windows.

That's interesting.

If you can get no exception quality with a price your happy with then the day's been good.

What's the finish on them? Modern paint or old school linseed?

Cart shed planning provisionally accepted, should be confirmed on friday.
Foundations can be started next week, installation on week commencing 21st March. Need this up for ground source heat pump installation.

Like this but I've order mine with 3 sets of doors, as it will mainly be garden machinery and storage and the GSHP plus an outside toilet.

single_carriage_house_with_2_single_garages_and_clay_tile_ro-700x525-upscale(1).jpg

doctor Bob":1nnwh839 said:
plus an outside toilet.

That's a shame. After all the time, planning and money you've put into the build I would have thought you'd have one inside. Have you tried one? We have 4 and I can thoroughly recommend them.

Pete

Bale":2putlgnk said:
doctor Bob":2putlgnk said:
plus an outside toilet.

That's a shame. After all the time, planning and money you've put into the build I would have thought you'd have one inside. Have you tried one? We have 4 and I can thoroughly recommend them.

Pete

LOL, it's my northern roots coming through. Denise wanted to put a lock on it, but I told her there hasn't been a bucket of dung pinched in this village for 10 years.

dickm":l0blhz6i said:
How many bedrooms? According to US custom, you should have one more bathroom than bedrooms :D

We are following that rule if we include the outside lav, I could have a morning think if a different location every day of the week, bake one on sunday :)

doctor Bob":1t8iy2om said:
Denise wanted to put a lock on it, but I told her there hasn't been a bucket of dung pinched in this village for 10 years.

She means on the inside. We have those too and they can prevent embarrassing encounters.

Pete

I get in trouble for leaving the door wide open.
I don't see the problem there is only her and the cat in the house

Wedges and foam I think, I'm with them on Wednesday to start the chippy's off, see how it goes.

Back