New House, New Workshop Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I was thinking is that if the window end is low enough to suit the boss and you have 20° pitch but not enough headroom then raise the outer end of the beams to reduce pitch below 20° whilst gaining headroom, just need suitable low pitch tiles.
Just a thought if the ridge is in front of the window can the ridge be moved to the right/ left?

Could you take a big chamfer off the end of the beams such that the effective load bearing area is down to the correct size but the bottom of the beam remains in its original place 150014-IMG-3146.jpeg

somewhat exaggerated in that pic above but you get the gist

I’d also be interested in this as I’m about to convert my windowless garage into a workshop …although compared to the OP it feels maybe inappropriate to call it that. Mine feels a bit more like a Fischer Price workshop by contrast
I take no credit for anything, here you can find the basic concept:

Now for some options: you can follow the ideas here or you can do either of the following:

1. Preserve the TV/monitor's power circuit and only remove the data circuit. Most TVs and monitors have 2 circuits aka 2 motherboards, one to the left and one to the right. Unless the system is very 'smart' and has some neat protections, you'll be able to remove the data circuit (wider data cables and low profile) and still use the other one plugging in the TV's original power cable.

There are some potential hazards here so you must either know what you're doing, or have somebody more knowledgeable assist you.

OR

Eliminate the power circuit and use a power supply - usually a 24V one for most led TVs. Then again this requires some professional knowledge and skill.

Or you can change the lighting all together like in the video.

2. You can build a new frame or you can use the TV's frame if its back is flat enough. After you crack it open, inside the unit you'll find all the panels inside a steel/aluminum frame, you'll know what I mean. 😊

Feel free to ask further questions.

This week the rafters are being fitted with the slots for the Velux windows. I’ve opted to have……I know I’m going to get abuse…….but, well, they are low maintenance……and I’m not getting any younger….well, plastic Velux windows in the roof rather than wood. I know, I know wooden Velux are guaranteed for 25 years, but I hope to still just be hanging on to life by then and defo know getting up on the roof will be beyond me by then. I’ve opted for electrically operated with rain sensors to they will close automatically when the numerous showers hit here in Cheshire. Velux have an ‘offer’ on at the moment that they will throw in their solar power units for the Velux so they don’t need a power supply.

The main windows and bifolds are all aluminium framed again for zero maintenance going forward. The differs and facias will all be plastic again for the sane reason.

The keen eyed will spot a very graceful bit of exterior ply attached to the house. I’m having a couple of bedroom windows converted to picture windows. These will be fitted next week. The ply is to cover the cut outs below the existing windows.

IMG_3156.jpeg

This week the rafters are being fitted with the slots for the Velux windows. I’ve opted to have……I know I’m going to get abuse…….but, well, they are low maintenance……and I’m not getting any younger….well, plastic Velux windows in the roof rather than wood. I know, I know wooden Velux are guaranteed for 25 years, but I hope to still just be hanging on to life by then and defo know getting up on the roof will be beyond me by then. I’ve opted for electrically operated with rain sensors to they will close automatically when the numerous showers hit here in Cheshire. Velux have an ‘offer’ on at the moment that they will throw in their solar power units for the Velux so they don’t need a power supply.

The main windows and bifolds are all aluminium framed again for zero maintenance going forward. The differs and facias will all be plastic again for the sane reason.

The keen eyed will spot a very graceful bit of exterior ply attached to the house. I’m having a couple of bedroom windows converted to picture windows. These will be fitted next week. The ply is to cover the cut outs below the existing windows.

View attachment 169378
If you ever feel like you life is lacking some normality I could happily swap places with you!🤣🤣🤣

I’ve opted for electrically operated with rain sensors to they will close automatically when the numerous showers hit here in Cheshire.
Don't you mean hope they will close automatically, make sure you have a manual overide because like everything from automated garage doors to cars with soft tops they always seem to fail at the wrong moment.

@Jameshow right now, I would gladly swap places with many people! I have been lucky in my life I have either had my father (master joiner) / my father’s help or done almost everything myself. This is the first time I’m having a number of contractors to assist with the work (Renovating a house and building the workshop). The primary contractor we are using usually works on top end properties, so you would think that I could relax safe in the knowledge that everything will be done to a high standard. So far, apart from going through contractors like changing underwear because of poor quality of work, I have had to have most things done twice or even three times or then done it myself. It’s taking far too long, it’s costing me a kings ransom, and it’s causing me too many sleepless nights. Here is an example of the high quality work I discovered today, after having new door linings fitted the trivial task of hanging doors. To add insult to injury the painter decided to paint the hinge too.

IMG_3159.jpeg

So I’ve about 10 door linings to get removed and remade, 10 doors to skip, architrave to replace, probably skirting to refit, and walls and woodwork to re-prepare for paint and paint. The work is already double the original time it should have taken.

Sorry to hear of your builder problems. I know how it feels. I had the builder of our new house 7 years ago that promised the world but barely delivered a rock. It was a fixed price so he took every opportunity to take a short cut, use the cheapest products and contract the lowest bidding trade. Then he failed to pay in full the companies he hired to do the work, just enough that it would cost them too much to take him to court.

Pete

The only saving grace is they had only fitted about half the doors! There is always a silver lining, it just sometimes takes a lot of digging out of its hiding place,

The primary contractor we are using usually works on top end properties, so you would think that I could relax safe in the knowledge that everything will be done to a high standard.
An easy mistake to make, what you have not taken into account is that those people with a lot of money and high end properties are more often than not, not very bright when it comes to the practical things in life which means that the contractor who works on their houses can get away with more and cut corners, working for someone like yourself with a practical hands on skill set is not easily fooled and if something is not right it will stand out like a flashing beacon to you. Many many moons ago I did some work for a guy who was like a money magnet, all he was good at was making money and lots of it but for the majority of what we would call day to day task or simple jobs they were just a real challenge to him but he paid well for the trades. As an example, you and I would put wall lights in before decorating a room, this guy got his very large living room decorated with very expensive wall paper and then ask me to come and fit sixteen wall and picture lights.

@Jameshow right now, I would gladly swap places with many people! I have been lucky in my life I have either had my father (master joiner) / my father’s help or done almost everything myself. This is the first time I’m having a number of contractors to assist with the work (Renovating a house and building the workshop). The primary contractor we are using usually works on top end properties, so you would think that I could relax safe in the knowledge that everything will be done to a high standard. So far, apart from going through contractors like changing underwear because of poor quality of work, I have had to have most things done twice or even three times or then done it myself. It’s taking far too long, it’s costing me a kings ransom, and it’s causing me too many sleepless nights. Here is an example of the high quality work I discovered today, after having new door linings fitted the trivial task of hanging doors. To add insult to injury the painter decided to paint the hinge too.

View attachment 169421

So I’ve about 10 door linings to get removed and remade, 10 doors to skip, architrave to replace, probably skirting to refit, and walls and woodwork to re-prepare for paint and paint. The work is already double the original time it should have taken.
Would it not have been cheaper to replace all of the hinges with larger ones? They look like 3”, if you replaced them all with 4” then the new rebate would have covered the damage wouldn’t it?

I feel your pain though. I’ve just spent the last two years doing up a 5 bed house that wasn’t supposed to be a dooer-upper, but the previous owners did a fantastic job of staging it. Literally every time I had to get a trade in to do something because I simply didn’t have the capacity due to my working hours, the contractors did a shoddy job. And it’s not because I drove a hard bargain with them. When I got them in to quote I was explicit in saying what I wanted and told them that I’m happy to pay for the job being done properly. They all just told me what I wanted to hear and then came in and did their work as quickly and carelessly as they could.
Remember it’s always darkest before the dawn. I’ve just about finished my house now and I love it. A couple of years from now when you’re pottering about in that behemoth of a workshop, you will look back at this moment and wonder what you were getting so worked up about 🍻

Have you managed to find a solution to your roof line yet?

That is appallingly bad hinge recessing and how have they managed to chew the screw heads that much

View attachment 169421

Here is an example of the high quality work I discovered today, after having new door linings fitted the trivial task of hanging doors. To add insult to injury the painter decided to paint the hinge too.
Oh dear what a mess, I am no door hanger and never done woodworking as a full time profession but when it came to fitting a bathroom door I did my homework and my only option was to buy the Trend hinge and lock jigs because I am not good with a chissel and ended up with a result I am happy with, for someone who claims to be a joiner that work on your door is just unbelievable and for someone who has joinery skills like yourself then also a massive shock, did you not let slip your joinery skills to that guy as how could they ever think that was even close to being acceptable, perhaps the decorator was supposed to make good with filler !

This is unfortunately a sign of the times where so called shietee tradesman deliver poor workmanship and just as bad are people who don't realise it, I knew a guy who worked new builds for a while until he walked away as he could not work to such poor standards, they actually employed a couple of decorators who also made good just to hide the mess of the build so it all looked nice at face view which is what sells the sheds.

View attachment 169421

This is only too familiar to me at the moment, my parents are having an extension built and while much of the work is fine its the last 10% that is unnecessarily bad. The doors are hung badly with gaps in the keeps, uneven hinge depth and then the painter has managed to paint every single bit of ironmongery. Door stop fitted with large screws of 3 different kinds !

To add to this the window boards are the maddest thing, first some MDF window boards appeared on site but the reveals are huge due to the 350mm of insulation in the walls so these were no good.
So instead of finding wider window boards, joining some together or going to get some 25mm MDF they have used 18mm MDF which has been "rounded over" to an approximate curve with a block plane maybe ? but not on the ends and then painted. As you can imagine this looks dreadful and the surface finish on the "rounded over" edge is like 80 grit sandpaper. Madness.

The painter is awful and will paint over all sorts of grit and dust, on the upvc windows etc. the surface finish on new work is terrible and there is no reason for it at all.

I don`t know if they genuinely think they have done a good job, don`t care a damn or are just completely incompetent and I am not sure which is worse.

Unfortunately you have to keep an eye on everything.

Ollie

Last edited:
This is unfortunately a sign of the times where so called shietee tradesman deliver poor workmanship..
Prior to our house move last year we were quite happy with any of the individuals we’d used in the past 20 years or so but the move we made placed us out of reach of the majority of our known and trusted go to guys leaving us hunting locally. To say we’re unimpressed is being very generous as it seems that there are so many individuals out there claiming to be capable, qualified and whilst not even near the bottom of the price range , are incapable of delivering what at best I’d expect from a week 1 apprentice and at worst from someone with absolutely no experience or expertise of the task at all!

but the move we made placed us out of reach of the majority of our known and trusted go to guys leaving us hunting locally.
Yes I know that feeling, round here slate roofs and drystone walls are not a problem but then it goes downhill as by far the biggest industry is farming whether it be sheep or tourist. Because of this you get people just calling themselves a builder or an electrician but unfortunately their work often does not support this statement.

Don't you mean hope they will close automatically, make sure you have a manual overide because like everything from automated garage doors to cars with soft tops they always seem to fail at the wrong moment.
I have one of those fitted to a vaulted ceiling at the head of my stairs and in the 10+y it's been fitted it hasn't missed a beat.
The mechanism uses very little power to operate since the window is well balanced and even on a dull day the solar panel generates enough juice to charge

Oops hit post prematurely..

the what I think is likely a supercapacitor so even on a dull day it has enough power to close the window and the battery powered remote can be used if necessary albeit it has always managed to close itself automatically and doesn't appear to suffer from false triggers.
A minor niggle is the remote uses 3 AA batteries which is a bit of a pain..

I frequented a "man's pub" for about 20 years (unfortunately now shut) til we moved and on many occasions a stranger came in and said something along the lines "we've just bought a house in ***** road and need a new roof/boiler/front door/bathroom etc. and have been told to come here and ask who best to get hold of". Everyone in the area knew it was where the best tradesmen drank. They might not have found out who best to deal with, but they certainly found out who to avoid.

Last edited:
Back