Bobby's new build thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest images

Retaining wall and steps, surrounds a big 220sqm patio, I went big as I wanted the wall a decent disance away from the house, outdoor sofas one end, table and BBQ the other end
IMG_1102_zpsd8lmj31e.jpg

IMG_1104_zpsrqe2kvaw.jpg

IMG_1107_zps6dukuhsd.jpg

IMG_1110_zpsz6rxtmlx.jpg

sitefive":6mohurz4 said:
how ''thick'' are those building blocks? Looks really thin to me? like some 10cm?

Yes external wall is 100 / 100 / 100 so about a 330mm wall overall with plaster and render. All pretty much standard.

Just better point out the retaining wall is not 100mm. It's a 9 inch hollow block wall, with bars throughout bonded to a 500 x 500mm strip foundation and then filled with concrete.

Just out of interest what is that blank space between the 2 layers of 10cm blocks supposed to do? Do you put in some insulation material there or just leave it blank? In this house we have here that space is blank and only wind howls through it making the house not really energy efficient!

When I was building house (not in UK) I used single 30cm blocks+ extra 5cm insulation on top of that,making the walls almost 40cm thick all Solid and not hollow in any place. Infact I haven't seen this done in any other country I have been to Only in the UK..anyone can aware me?

It's either left emtpy as an airgap insulation (the wind shouldn't be able to get in there - if it can you need to repair something) or filled with insulation such as foam.

looks like the cavity is already filled with cavity batts to me. Very standard way to meet building regs

Mark

Looking good Bob. It's very interesting to follow your progress through the photos.

John

kostello":2d9ewniu said:
In by Christmas then. .
:)

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Might be more draft proof by Christmas than the old house.

Steels in:
Stats as follows

start 60 fingers
end 59.5 fingers.................. ooch

12355318_923289371042030_889103879_n_zpsrxk2fgm3.jpg

12358433_923289307708703_1927205098_n_zpsrkm4rbvo.jpg

12355071_923288881042079_2022962_n%201_zpsodfdifiv.jpg

12348743_923288904375410_950126619_n_zpsnmvtm6x6.jpg

andersonec":vqcs57jz said:
I have not read all the posts so not sure if I've missed it but with all that land out the back why are you not installing a Ground Source Heat Pump? The benefits are immense
Andy

Just an update, I had cancelled the GSP as it looked like the energy payments were going to be pulled, however the announcement this week said payments were going to continue till 2021, so it's now back in the project.

Charlie Woody":22gja32n said:
What type of floor is that upstairs? If you are using GSP will you have UFH on both floors?

Yes under ground and first floors, loft rooms will be radiators. The beams are pretty standard now, makes it easy to thread stuff in both directions.

doctor Bob":7mlxbqx2 said:
Charlie Woody":7mlxbqx2 said:
What type of floor is that upstairs? If you are using GSP will you have UFH on both floors?

Yes under ground and first floors, loft rooms will be radiators. The beams are pretty standard now, makes it easy to thread stuff in both directions.

The beams making easy access for electric, plumbing, air ducts etc will hopefully speed up the services installation when the time comes. I've not seen that before, guess I need to get out more :D thanks for explaining.

Bit of a personal hobby horse, but I really can't see how heat pumps can claim to be a "renewable". Given that they need electricity to work, and much of UK generation relies on fossil fuel at roughly 30% efficiency, the CoP of the heat pump needs to be greater than 3 just to break even in energy terms. AFAIK, no heat pumps manage more than a CoP of 4 at best, so it's a pretty marginal saving in CO2 emission. Unless, of course, the electricity is generated from a truly renewable source.
End of rant from a biomass heated member.

Actually air-air heatpumps here are excellent because it doesn't really gets under -10c ever here , so their COP is always in great range.
and Let's not talk about the costs of setting up air-air heatpump VS traditional heating, If I had a medium sized workshop I would insulate it really well and put up few of them and be done with it!

Back