Advice to a 15 yo wanting a woodwork career

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a slightly different view, how about starting as a kitchen fitter? (Ok, so very much not woodworking) bear with me...
Firstly, it can't be done by machines and people change their kitchens pretty much as they change decor in any other room so the work is always there. The money can range from adequate to very good and experience gained using power tools will be useful. After spending a year or two as a mate, set up on your own, under cut the market to get the jobs rolling in and make a better and cleaner job than your original employers. When the order book starts filling up, you can then start making good money......then, when customers start asking your advice on ideas, like the kitchen table, a dresser unit and such like they may like the idea of a bespoke piece of furniture to make their kitchen special.
It's amazing what you can produce in a garage (or outside) before you need a workshop.

I do not know British circumstances, but if I lived there I would:
-set up my own small workshop in a shed in a garden, where I could practice (if she does not live in a flat).
- target a niche in woodworking where that would meet my needs
- study design and find my signature style
- create a social media presence to find target future customers
- learn to write blogs and/or make videos about woodworking.
- based on the feedback from the social media on my work, I would decide if I want to pursue a professional career path in woodworking

if yes
- when adult, apply to Furniture Making Apprenticeship with Edward Barnsley Workshop

But that is a lot for a 14 year old.

Child of a nephew: Keen as mustard (today), not good academically, good 3D imagination, learns by doing.
Looking for websites, links, advice on how to start, etc.
What would you say to a potential luthier / cabinetmaker?
Do you know of any stumbling blocks, how to overcome them?
Your experience greatly appreciated.
Cabinet making’s a degree course in a lot of colleges and universities, I suspect training to be a luthier would be similar.

The Carpentry and Joinery course was also three years at Technical College in my day as well.

Cabinet making’s a degree course in a lot of colleges and universities, I suspect training to be a luthier would be similar.

The Carpentry and Joinery course was also three years at Technical College in my day as well.
I do wonder how academic (simply by the title) such a course would be?
Tks @hlvd

Thanks @tibi - useful 'steps', something many (most?) youngsters seem to find hard.
Thank you. Today social media presence means a lot. Consider Matt Eslea, he is a very young guy, but made a strong social media presence, so many people would assume he is a skilled woodworker (as he is teaching online) - so they would be more inclined to buy furniture from him.

The same is for Paul Sellers. He made his online presence and created aura around him in a way that some people consider him to be the ultimate authority on woodworking. I even seen somewhere that he is one of the top woodworkers alive (which I doubt). He might be a great teacher, though.

Not every woodworker needs to have instagram and youtube channel, but it might help them find their niche of customers that will help them make a living.

-set up my own small workshop in a shed in a garden, where I could practice (if she does not live in a flat).
- based on the feedback from the social media on my work, I would decide if I want to pursue a professional career path in woodworking

So attempt become a woodworking influencer at that age? A recipe for disaster in my opinion as several have done it and end up getting stuck in a position where they feel they have to produce useless content to generate views rather than working on what they want to do or gaining any more knowledge and it stunts them massively, short term gain.

Matt Estlea is an example, a very talented woodworker but tried to be an influencer and educator right out of college with no experience of the real world, the woodworking trade, or anything beyond what he had done in college and it shows whenever he tries to do something more technical than simple joinery, if it wasn’t for the fact the wood he uses very exotic his projects would look very mediocre. He also does not sell much furniture at all, examples of his are on sale on his website for years, but he manages to sell tools as his audience are woodworkers, not prospective furniture buyers. There are plenty of other examples on places like Instagram where people have come into the trade keen as anything to learn and then they start getting sponsorships and so on and then end up as more as salesmen than tradespeople.

Not everyone needs to be a social media super star.

So attempt become a woodworking influencer at that age? A recipe for disaster in my opinion as several have done it and end up getting stuck in a position where they feel they have to produce useless content to generate views rather than working on what they want to do or gaining any more knowledge and it stunts them massively, short term gain.

Matt Estlea is an example, a very talented woodworker but tried to be an influencer and educator right out of college with no experience of the real world, the woodworking trade, or anything beyond what he had done in college and it shows whenever he tries to do something more technical than simple joinery, if it wasn’t for the fact the wood he uses very exotic his projects would look very mediocre. He also does not sell much furniture at all, examples of his are on sale on his website for years, but he manages to sell tools as his audience are woodworkers, not prospective furniture buyers. There are plenty of other examples on places like Instagram where people have come into the trade keen as anything to learn and then they start getting sponsorships and so on and then end up as more as salesmen than tradespeople.

Not everyone needs to be a social media super star.

Maybe a person does not need to be a teacher/influencer. Maybe he can record silently the production of orders, like Ishitani Furniture, SquareRule, or Kobeomusk. I do not know if their YouTube channel helped them gain more work, but they have very good reviews from other woodworkers.

Last edited:
There are several negative aspects to a life in woodworking earlier in this thread and I can't disagree with them.I have encountered some of them and the all too typical "manager" who believes that constantly repeating the mantra faster!faster! constitutes managing.Site work is something I never,ever wanted to go near and didn't.the next six months will provide reasons for avoiding it.

On the positive side,we are hearing quite a bit in the media about the way in which AI will disrupt many working lives.I can't see it eliminating the need for skilled woodworkers.The question is which particular skills will be hard to replace.I am well aware of just how much panel processing can be done with a CNC machine and the type of work that has been eliminated.It still needs somebody to programme the machines.Restoration and instrument work may be a little more secure than some other aspects of the business.What has to be kept in mind is that if the work goes a bit quiet,the bills keep rolling in.Versatility may be an answer.

if yes
- when adult, apply to Furniture Making Apprenticeship with Edward Barnsley Workshop

But that is a lot for a 14 year old.
Not a lot for a smart one with ambition and goals. In Canada, we have a huge shortage of trades, and a good cabinet maker, not a box maker can pretty well write there own ticket. Get good in your niche, get a name for yourself, and market to the rich people. Over here, the rich guys have there own trades people they brag about between there friends.

I do wonder how academic (simply by the title) such a course would be?
Tks @hlvd
As an Apprentice Joiner in Technical College I’d say the academic work was one step up from anything I’d done at school, and whilst I didn’t go on to Sixth Form I was Set 2 in most things.

As an Apprentice Joiner in Technical College I’d say the academic work was one step up from anything I’d done at school, and whilst I didn’t go on to Sixth Form I was Set 2 in most things.
That's good to know, what were you doing City and Guilds or NVQ ?

Does your Nephew's kid own any tools yet? Do they have any kind of shed/garage space that they can work in?
Would that be a logical place to start - helping them get somewhere dry and undercover to get them going?

Has anyone spoken to their high school / college? I'm sure the senior teacher in the DT department would be delighted to hear of someone who wants to go down that route. They may have contacts with other organisations.

Also - could they be given extra access to 3D printers / CNC machines for stuff that can't be done at home. (Bring in a design from hole and be allowed to print / cut it and take away)

Charities - near a previous school was a little furniture recycling shop where children with downs syndrome etc. worked on donated furniture an 'upcycled' it to sell on in their charity shop. They always need volunteers - we were stopped from linking up by Covid. If you can find something similar. Would look amazing on anyone's CV, but would also give an small insight into teaching.

This one is nowhere near you but....https://www.recoverteam.co.uk/ If you google your local area or towns that easy to drive to you might find something suitable.

If they are staying on for a couple of years at school / college. They could start up a small etsy/ebay shop and sell a few simple products. It won't be easy - but I bet they throw themselves at it 100% and plaster photos all over instagram etc. and learn lots from trying.

Independent schools / private schools will offer DT down to 7/8 year olds. They have small classes and are generally quite open to volunteers coming in. If you have such a school near you. They would most likely be happy to accept help one day / afternoon a week. I suggest private schools as the children would potentially be younger than your nephew's child - better than 30 high school kids no much younger. Would give an insight to the teaching side again .

Does your Nephew's kid own any tools yet? Do they have any kind of shed/garage space that they can work in?
Would that be a logical place to start - helping them get somewhere dry and undercover to get them going?
]
No and no!
[
Has anyone spoken to their high school / college? I'm sure the senior teacher in the DT department would be delighted to hear of someone who wants to go down that route. They may have contacts with other organisations.

Also - could they be given extra access to 3D printers / CNC machines for stuff that can't be done at home. (Bring in a design from hole and be allowed to print / cut it and take away)
]
Well aware and
no - (oddly?) a real preference for hand tools.
[

Charities - near a previous school was a little furniture recycling shop where children with downs syndrome etc. worked on donated furniture an 'upcycled' it to sell on in their charity shop. They always need volunteers - we were stopped from linking up by Covid. If you can find something similar. Would look amazing on anyone's CV, but would also give an small insight into teaching.
]
Another good idea.
[
This one is nowhere near you but....https://www.recoverteam.co.uk/ If you google your local area or towns that easy to drive to you might find something suitable.
]
I'll look it up - tks
[
If they are staying on for a couple of years at school / college. They could start up a small etsy/ebay shop and sell a few simple products. It won't be easy - but I bet they throw themselves at it 100% and plaster photos all over instagram etc. and learn lots from trying.
:) I know what you mean. atm that's a bit in the future.
Seems T levels / grades (yep, I was ignorant too) are the thing - unless our PM kicks it into touch

Independent schools / private schools will offer DT down to 7/8 year olds. They have small classes and are generally quite open to volunteers coming in. If you have such a school near you. They would most likely be happy to accept help one day / afternoon a week. I suggest private schools as the children would potentially be younger than your nephew's child - better than 30 high school kids no much younger. Would give an insight to the teaching side again .
One out of left field!
Could be age issues, but another evenue (or snicket even ;-) )
Thanks @Stanleymonkey

I don't think it would be a problem getting her kitted out. I have plenty of tools that I would be happy to donate and I'm sure that there are many here who would chip in too.
Caution Adam! I was thinking the same - ebay restored planes etc.
Then I hung back, asked the parents - is this a flash in the pan
or something which will last.
Grateful for the offer. If I'm still being pestered in 6 months I'll come back and ask!

Dave

Back