Advice to a 15 yo wanting a woodwork career

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... but not yet
(Apart from lack of workspace).
I like the toolbox idea.
I have a small work bench which my toolbox fits inside. Have a vice on one end a wider foot at the other end you saw off. It's quite compact and fits under my camper van bed.

Depending on location, the fitting out of a yacht / boat interior is like a complex site installation.
Parts need to be small enough to go through the hatches and then assembled and fitted inside a world of curves belowdecks.
One of my in laws had many years of employment on the south coast doing this.

IIRC I used the workmate to build my workbench.
I can't see a workmate as a fair introduction to cabinetmaking or something else what might
be on the more refined side of things, i.e a hand tool bench.
They're not really that compact when folded either.
Haven't seen anything of the likes what might work well for "bench work", though that's not to say
an impossible ask, just seemingly a case of... if you want something done right,
and plenty of welding rods, grinding discs and paint.

A job for someone else to figure out IMHO, as it's basically just someone else's idea of whats practical really.

I wouldn't subject ..(in all likelihood) a clueless newcomer to such misery.
That contraption to me reeks of school, i.e blunt tools as token gestures,
T'was about 20 years after until I seen a sharp effective tool, and finally took interest,
as woodwork consisted mainly about roofing from any source I encountered,
and I'd be no good at it, cuz I'm not too fond of heights.

Then came the internet, and knowledge for all who's got the determination to seek it out,
and possibly find their calling or indeed spot a niche in the market.

All the best
Tom

I can't see a workmate as a fair introduction to cabinetmaking or something else what might
Haven't seen anything of the likes what might work well for "bench work", though that's not to say
an impossible ask, just seemingly a case of... if you want something done right,
and plenty of welding rods, grinding discs and paint.

A job for someone else to figure out IMHO, as it's basically just someone else's idea of whats practical really.

I wouldn't subject ..(in all likelihood) a clueless newcomer to such misery.
That contraption to me reeks of school, i.e blunt tools as token gestures,
T'was about 20 years after until I seen a sharp effective tool, and finally took interest,
as woodwork consisted mainly about roofing from any source I encountered,
and I'd be no good at it, cuz I'm not too fond of heights.

Then came the internet, and knowledge for all who's got the determination to seek it out,
and possibly find their calling or indeed spot a niche in the market.

All the best
Tom
The point was to use the workmate to build the workbench with which to build higher quality work. It's a chicken and egg situation....

The point was to use the workmate to build the workbench with which to build higher quality work. It's a chicken and egg situation....

Fine if you've got a space to build a bench, have a pair or as said have a top/beam on a trestle the far end,
but in something like a utility room, or even in the garden, (as the kid's workshop is still full)
that could mean the idea of it being somewhat more permanent a reasonable assumption.

The idea of a workmate sounds good though, and surprised I've not seen it done for something adequately for 100 percent hand work/cabinet making.

Fine if you've got a space to build a bench, have a pair or as said have a top/beam on a trestle the far end,
but in something like a utility room, or even in the garden, (as the kid's workshop is still full)
that could mean the idea of it being somewhat more permanent a reasonable assumption.

The idea of a workmate sounds good though, and surprised I've not seen it done for something adequately for 100 percent hand work/cabinet making.
Sorry I hadn't clocked the accommodation issues!!

All the best
Tom
Quite agree Tom, given a choice.
Given no choice and 'stuff' needed, it is way better than using a kitchen stool or chair?
I was in my fourth house before I had (built) a garage to work in.
Some of us have to make do and mend.

Quite agree Tom, given a choice.
Given no choice and 'stuff' needed, it is way better than using a kitchen stool or chair?
I was in my fourth house before I had (built) a garage to work in.
Some of us have to make do and mend.
Still no good for delicate cabinetry, and a better solution could be done for the money,
i.e possibly in some shared workshop, men's/women's shed or the likes?

I still agree on the principal of the workmate, it just needs be a whole lot better,
and as said, I haven't seen anyone tackle that, but wouldn't be difficult to achieve this.
Quite interesting challenge really, if even for someone doing markets or whatnot,
Cosman mentioned he used to chuck a wispy shaving in the air when a potential customer walked by.
Slight tangent there, but perhaps one with solutions.

Another bench from Lumberjocks website, great idea, and
what might be worth consideration if made with pipe or box iron?
With metal it would take less consideration, if wanting to allow for the top to hinge down,
some pop up wheels of some kind, or whatnot.

Screenshot from 2020-10-10 07-40-38.png

Screenshot from 2020-10-10 07-41-01.png

All the best
Tom

Workmate, kitchen table, etc. all work better if you can clamp or otherwise fix on it a length of joist say 2x10" but long enough to brace against the wall (to the left if you are right handed). Then you work on the joist as a work bench top for planing, or sawing with a couple of bench hooks added.
A proper bench is the same thing more or less - a hefty timber (or two) but on a stiff frame.
Or if you are Japanese, just the beam alone Better Balance and More Control.
Workmate on its own is hopeless. Looks a good idea but isn't.

Talk of bench hooks & saws etc, One thing i learnt in my time as a D&T technician, Tenon saws in schools are often battered & exceedingly blunt. When i started the job about the first practical thing i did in the first few days was regrind & sharpen all thechisels, plane blades & order new tenon saws. The old ones looked like they had been used for sawing bricks.
One day i popped into Lidls & they had some Powerfix Japanese saws, quite large double edged & small single edged ones that came with two blades. About £6.99.
I took one of these into school as i prefer them, I let selected kids use it. Without exception they all said "Why cant we use these all the time? Its so much easier to use!" . The ease & accuracy of cut was an absolute revelation to them!

Talk of bench hooks & saws etc, One thing i learnt in my time as a D&T technician, Tenon saws in schools are often battered & exceedingly blunt. When i started the job about the first practical thing i did in the first few days was regrind & sharpen all thechisels, plane blades & order new tenon saws. The old ones looked like they had been used for sawing bricks.
One day i popped into Lidls & they had some Powerfix Japanese saws, quite large double edged & small single edged ones that came with two blades. About £6.99.
I took one of these into school as i prefer them, I let selected kids use it. Without exception they all said "Why cant we use these all the time? Its so much easier to use!" . The ease & accuracy of cut was an absolute revelation to them!
I like the logic Keith.
Equally I can't remember a sharp chisel at school!
Amazing what a difference it makes.
Potential to swap out tenon/gents / panel saw for Japanese pattern?
Thanks Keith.

I like the logic Keith.
Equally I can't remember a sharp chisel at school!
Amazing what a difference it makes.
Potential to swap out tenon/gents / panel saw for Japanese pattern?
Thanks Keith.
Japanese pattern go blunt too.

Make It at Market 7:30 pm on BBC1 this evening may be of interest. ”Can blacksmith Alex and furniture maker Cora turn their skills into a successful business?” @pe2dave
Just watched it. Thanks for that!
Excellent stuff, must catch up on the earlier episodes.
It was real craft work in action, unlike that other woodwork show can't remember the name.
Answer to how to make a living seemed to be batch work. Couldn't agree more. If you can make one it doesn't take long twice as long to make 2 and the more you do: 1 the less they cost to make 2 the better and more consistent the quality
A bit horrifed by Cora not using push sticks!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gq6s

get up
get qualified go to college do your math and English to at least level 4 get an apprenticeship.
get a job at mc donalds which pay 8.25 per hour stop buying nikes but save yer money for driving lessons and the theory app on a cheap phone.
that is basically my first lecture to any student I get in my class.......it works!

Back