Tier 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live on one of the Islands off the West coast of Scotland. We have had no recorded cases. We have been on tier 1 since the start. However we are getting a bit complacent. Tourism for our whisky industry has been decimated. We are moving to tier 3 for two weeks which I personally am in favour of, if only to reinforce the severity of the situation.

This calculator seems to suggest when you might get the vaccine depending on age & health condition. Vaccine Queue Calculator for the UK - my MIL - 93 years - anxiously waiting to hear from her GP when she can get it. She wants it now!!
My father, spare mother in law, eldest daughter (critical care nurse) all had the vaccine last week. Ironically my daughter then tested positive for COVID the next day so she is now isolating along with her partner who just tested negative. We are now waiting to see if he develops symptoms and starts the isolation clock again. Our Christmas bubble dropped to zero even before Boris stepped in...

Another daughter just did a business trip to Germany. It cost £150 for a test on the way to Germany to avoid isolation there and then another £150 on her return to reduce the isolation to five days.

HMG was too keen to ignore medical advice and reopen businesses, waive rules for Xmas etc - and this is the result. Remember the photos of non-socially distanced maskless shoppers? Had they instead operated an entirely medical driven approach then I believe yesterday's announcement would not have been necessary.
Damned if they did, damned if they didn't , keeping businesses closed indefinitely just isn't possible but I fail to see how any government is responsible for the idiots above who ignored very clear advice on social distancing and masks. It's a sad fact that you can't separate humans from ignorance and selfishness. Anyone who failed to see the rules being blatantly ignored during full lockdown had their eyes firmly closed.

I had a difference of opinion last week with the manageress of a fishery, social distancing observed of course, who said that she, her young kids and husband would not have a vaccination under any circumstances "that is my choice". I asked if her kids see their grandparents, "yes of course, they love my mum and dad", so I said you risk depriving your kids of that relationship as they grow older. She couldn't understand that being vaccinated is at least as much important to prevent the spread to other people as her own protection, her father btw had major heart surgery 18 months ago and is at risk due to other factors.

As an aside, many people say "I don't know anyone who's been infected", I say lucky you, tell that to the many thousands of people who have. We've had 3 people die in my extended family, one who had underlying issues so her death was hastened not caused by C-19 but the other two did not. My sister's husband died of Covid induced pneumonia and was as fit as a fiddle before catching the virus, even had he survived she was told he already had sustained serious and permanent lung damage before he was stuck on a ventilator for 3 weeks.

As an aside, many people say "I don't know anyone who's been infected", .......
I don't either - I also don't know anybody who has benefitted from wearing a car seat belt but I still think it's a good idea!
Come to think - it's deja vu, remember 1983 all those libertarians going on about personal freedom , seat belts and the hidden dangers of wearing them?

Last edited:
As an aside, many people say "I don't know anyone who's been infected", I say lucky you, tell that to the many thousands of people who have. We've had 3 people die in my extended family, one who had underlying issues so her death was hastened not caused by C-19 but the other two did not. My sister's husband died of Covid induced pneumonia and was as fit as a fiddle before catching the virus, even had he survived she was told he already had sustained serious and permanent lung damage before he was stuck on a ventilator for 3 weeks.

Different areas,, Bob. Not only do I not know anyone infected, I haven't spoken to anyone who knows anyone.

I sometimes (well often actually) think that all the noise surrounding the pandemic is a rather futile waste of effort. A way to find someone to blame or for the media to sell column inches and viewer numbers.

The government acted too early, or too late, or without sufficient evidence. Only the government think they got it right.

It has been handled much better or worse in the US, New Zealand, Sweden, Korea, Germny, Italy. The facts are irrelevant - pursuit of statistics that support a preconceived case are paramount.

Boris wanted us to have as close as normal xmas as possible. I've bought a10kg turkey and now have to eat it all on our own.

This may be the last xmas for grandma. Entertain grandma this xmas and it may be her last.

Everybody is either irresponsible, antisocial or stupid except for me.

The concept of social responsibility seems to have bypassed a large part of the population in pursuit of more selfish goals. Personally I can buy in to the selfish bit - being 60+ and vulnerable I will selfishly avoid most social contact in the hope that I get the jab before the virus!

I haven't verified this, but if it's genuine it raises some questions.

Attachments

• 132078776_10225249426527623_6848609900978155205_n.jpg
    132078776_10225249426527623_6848609900978155205_n.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 74
I am tempted to encourage anyone who is uncertain about the vaccine not to take it. That way I may get to the head of the queue faster .

I saw a bit about people flooding out of London to beat the Tier 4 lock down start. Yes - packed trains heading to all parts of the country seems only good for spreading this new strain faster that than it would otherwise.

However i am glad I am not in the position to have to make these rules up as it seems to be a completely no win situation but I do wish that they had stuck to what they were saying at the start of all this in that they would be "guided by the science" That seems to have gone by the board.

We plan to "hide" as much as possible for the next couple of months.

Stay safe everyone and have as good a Christmas as you can.

AQ

Self interest, stump dumb stupidity, myopic short-sightedness, gross incompetence and good old fashioned ignorance.

Assign any one or any combination of these character traits to either the public, the Government, the press or any combination of the aforementioned.

Add to the mix a lack of good clear information, good, clear and consistent advice, hidden agendas and a total lack of confidence in either of the afore mentioned groups.

Haven't we been here before?????*

* The last bit was just for fun!

How does this affect my chocolate advent calendar?

It was work in progress.

Do I carry on?

So confusing!

How does this affect my chocolate advent calendar?

It was work in progress.

Do I carry on?

So confusing!
I'd get it all done and dusted today while you still have the chance!

Easter eggs are around the corner, all being well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back