Tier 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Different areas,, Bob. Not only do I not know anyone infected, I haven't spoken to anyone who knows anyone.
None of them live in my area either Phil, my sister for example lives near Rotherham, one in Nottingham and the other Cheshire but there are another 4 in this area who I did know personally though not family. we live in a village where people in general are being sensible which can't be said for others in the North East and parts of Northumberland. In the middle of the last lockdown the police had to break up a rave in an industrial unit close to Newcastle attended by more than 300 young people.

In all of this rollercoaster ride with the pandemic the government has just always assumed that what it says people will actually do, no enforcement needed and this is so obviously not the case, just look at the high streets and travel infrastructure. People now seem to have lost the self preservation genes and it is the people not the leaders who have the power to stop the spread of this virus.

People now seem to have lost the self preservation genes and it is the people not the leaders who have the power to stop the spread of this virus.

I agree.

Originally we were told that white people in their 20s and 30s did not have much to fear from Covid. Many, but by no means all, still seem to believe this. If enough decide that the law should not apply to them there is little anyone can do about it. The rule of law has always depended on most of the population accepting those laws. It is not helped by politicians, politician's aids or celebs seemingly thinking the law does not apply to them and even if caught all they have to do is apologize and it will be OK. Unfortunately the publicity given to these cases is very unhelpful especially when there are apparently no consequences or at least no reported.

AQ

I agree.

Originally we were told that white people in their 20s and 30s did not have much to fear from Covid. Many, but by no means all, still seem to believe this. If enough decide that the law should not apply to them there is little anyone can do about it. The rule of law has always depended on most of the population accepting those laws. It is not helped by politicians, politician's aids or celebs seemingly thinking the law does not apply to them and even if caught all they have to do is apologize and it will be OK. Unfortunately the publicity given to these cases is very unhelpful especially when there are apparently no consequences or at least no reported.

AQ

Since the average age of death for covid is 83 the vast majority don't have anything to fear. It doesn't scare me or anyone in my family.

Its another load of tosh, the "new" variant was found in the U.K in September it has not lead to any more deaths than the previous strain. Very few of the cases are sick people they have just been tested as positive, only 1 in 11 positive tests are true positives the other 10 are false positive or have dead traces of the virus in their respiratory tract. If the reported cases were sick and dying people it would be different it would make sense but there are no shortage of beds or ques for funeral services.

I don't think anyone has said the new strain has lead to any more deaths than the other. If SAGE is wrong then they've been as wrong as just about every other advisory board.

Different areas,, Bob. Not only do I not know anyone infected, I haven't spoken to anyone who knows anyone.

I only know of one person locally (still not that local, 30 miles away) that has had it and tested positive. I know of another person in the Midlands who had it earlier in the year. Otherwise I couldn't name anyone and we have family and friends in medicine, police, teaching, retail, all across the southwest.

We think an elderly relative died of it in early February but they were in their mid 90's and crippled with dementia. Could have been any number of respiratory illnesses (no tests back then) and they were going to die of something very soon anyway.

You’re very lucky. I personally know six people who have had it. I also live in a very rural area of North Yorkshire. One was in intensive care in Guys early on, the two people either side of him died. My cousin died of it around five weeks ago. She was 62. Other people have reported little impact though the fittest of the lot said it was the worst thing they had ever had.

I personally know nobody who died in the 9/11 attacks in New York and nobody I know knew anybody who did. I have lived and worked in the USA as well. Perhaps it never happened or wasn’t important?

My father, spare mother in law, eldest daughter (critical care nurse) all had the vaccine last week. Ironically my daughter then tested positive for COVID the next day so she is now isolating along with her partner who just tested negative. We are now waiting to see if he develops symptoms and starts the isolation clock again. Our Christmas bubble dropped to zero even before Boris stepped in...

Another daughter just did a business trip to Germany. It cost £150 for a test on the way to Germany to avoid isolation there and then another £150 on her return to reduce the isolation to five days.
Sorry to hear that, Paul.

Damned if they did, damned if they didn't , keeping businesses closed indefinitely just isn't possible but I fail to see how any government is responsible for the idiots above who ignored very clear advice on social distancing and masks. It's a sad fact that you can't separate humans from ignorance and selfishness. Anyone who failed to see the rules being blatantly ignored during full lockdown had their eyes firmly closed.

I had a difference of opinion last week with the manageress of a fishery, social distancing observed of course, who said that she, her young kids and husband would not have a vaccination under any circumstances "that is my choice". I asked if her kids see their grandparents, "yes of course, they love my mum and dad", so I said you risk depriving your kids of that relationship as they grow older. She couldn't understand that being vaccinated is at least as much important to prevent the spread to other people as her own protection, her father btw had major heart surgery 18 months ago and is at risk due to other factors.

As an aside, many people say "I don't know anyone who's been infected", I say lucky you, tell that to the many thousands of people who have. We've had 3 people die in my extended family, one who had underlying issues so her death was hastened not caused by C-19 but the other two did not. My sister's husband died of Covid induced pneumonia and was as fit as a fiddle before catching the virus, even had he survived she was told he already had sustained serious and permanent lung damage before he was stuck on a ventilator for 3 weeks.
I agree with you there.

Mate of mine who we bought our house from, who moved only 5 doors down, lost both his parents to covid in March / April. Since then he took voluntary retirement and was drinking a lot for three months, then rolled his old garden out and rebuilt it completely.

His kids who loved their gramps very much, lost their smiles for months.

These idiots who think it's all fake or don't think it is serious, don't realize how much loss some people have had to endure, and some of them are just kids.

None of them live in my area either Phil, my sister for example lives near Rotherham, one in Nottingham and the other Cheshire but there are another 4 in this area who I did know personally though not family. we live in a village where people in general are being sensible which can't be said for others in the North East and parts of Northumberland. In the middle of the last lockdown the police had to break up a rave in an industrial unit close to Newcastle attended by more than 300 young people.

A Bournemouth University student was fined £10k last week for repeatedly breaking covid rules by having parties in his accomodation.

Nigel.

Interesting that people are still selling items online for collection in Tier 4. Changing habits is obviously very difficult!
Duncan

I don't think anyone has said the new strain has lead to any more deaths than the other. If SAGE is wrong then they've been as wrong as just about every other advisory board.
Speaking to (Doctor) wife about this; the concerns are mainly that:

1. It's a pretty rapid mutation (vs e.g. flu) - which may complicate chasing it with an updated vaccine
2. Will the currently developed vaccines be effective against this new strain

Interesting that people are still selling items online for collection in Tier 4. Changing habits is obviously very difficult!
Duncan
As long as no one is crossing tiers, it is no different to going to the shops I suppose. And it is easier to observe social distancing than in a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back