If you get stuck without an adapter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know this and although the guy does mention several times it’s not recommended, I can’t unsee it now so if I do get stuck … 😆

It's not a new idea and no it isn't a good one. Yes, it can usually be made to work but there is always the chance of damaging either plug or or socket (from memory, the pins on a euro plug are slightly too close which basically means forcing it into place. Then you may well find it wedged in the socket and impossible to pull out afterwards - often the shutters (which you have to defeat to get the plug in in the first place) will close up around the exposed contacts locking the plug in place.

That's without considering the electrical safety implications. Typically a domestic mains socket is perfectly capable of delivering 32A or more. You shouldn't be using an adapter for more than 1A here in the UK, expect the flex to get quite warm and quite possibly flamy in the event of a fault. There is a reason British plugs have fuses in them, they are essential to combat the additional risks implied by a ring mains.

I've seen much dodgier temporary solutions.

But it only takes a minute to put a proper plug on.

Amazing how many times he says he wouldn’t recommend this but actually it provides a better contact etc , what a complete accident waiting to happen . If you don’t recommend something then why go on to produce a video saying the same thing for 5 mins 🫣🫣🫣

distinctly and very unsafe... far better to use an appropriate adapter.

The obvious problem is that there are just two pins, has anyone thought about the CPC or earth connection which plays a major role in residual current protection ?

I better not own up how I improvised getting my phone charged in an Indian hotel room a couple of decades ago. The socket was not the normal one I was used to seeing in Pune. But I got it charged! And my pen still works…

I better not own up how I improvised getting my phone charged in an Indian hotel room a couple of decades ago. The socket was not the normal one I was used to seeing in Pune. But I got it charged! And my pen still works…
Here's one for the safety brigade: Guilty as charged, been doing this for years on the odd occasion that I have used an appliance with a 2 pin plug, usually after buying something with a 2 pin plug on the cable before changing it over to a 3 pin type. Only with a low current device and as the man says; do as I say, not as I do.

Back