Work Gloves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Established Member
Reaction score
It’s really frustrating, I’ve got several jobs to do in the shed but it’s too cold to go out there at the moment. I could wear a fleece and put on a fan heater I suppose, the shed soon warms up. The problem is all the tools and materials are very cold as well. Unlike our cousins across the pond who can’t even seem to use even a screwdriver without donning a pair of gloves, I rarely ever use them. In fact I only use them for “Hot” work.

Are there any work gloves any of you may care to recommend that will keep my hands warm without affecting my ability to use tools?
As per HSE guidelines I certainly won’t be wearing them around rotating machinery but I could get some other jobs done.

I have used some fingerless biking gloves when woodturning. I'm hoping it is slightly safer than full gloves, fingers get cold though.

If you know what tools you are likely to use maybe bring them in the house the night before so they aren't starting completely cold.

my fingers are freezing now as i didn't use gloves today and I just finished turning a christmas tree bauble out of willow (bit late I know) at lunch.

I was about to suggest the very same as Agent Zed, miser mitts, of which cycling gloves tend to be the easiest to obtain. Yes, your hands/fingers will be cold if it's freezing but I've found them enough to keeping feeling and dexterity in your fingers.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I may have a look in my local discount shop to see what they have. Last time I looked they sold quite a few different kinds.

I don't suppose they'll warm you much but these are excellent for general use. I bought them to use when in my manual wheelchair as I pick up minute glass splinters in my palms (which are a bloody nuisance) but they are thin enough to work in as unlike thicker gloves you can still feel through them. At 63p a pair I don't mind if they split (they haven't yet), get lost or whatever.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supreme-TT...d=1704724685&sprefix=work+glove,aps,91&sr=8-5

I never solved this one.
I don't like wearing baggy gloves for any manual task so my only goto are the kevlar / dyneema cut resistant work gloves that otherwise look much like the ones that Phil linked to above.
These are tight fitting and don't stretch much. If anything the tight fit means your hands soon get as cold as if you were wearing no gloves at all.

How about an alternative ?
Get some of those chemical handwarmers that you recharge in hot water and keep a pair of those in your pockets. Warming your hands up between tasks might help you keep going and preserve the dexterity in your fingers.

I've used the cheap Toolstation £1.50 a pair thin rubber palmed gloves for some years. They are excellent when machining timber due to the added grip and I even used them outside in the cold and wet when playing bowls for a couple of winters. Palm Gloves

Colin

I popped out to the discount store this afternoon and got a couple of different pairs to try out. At £1.95 and £2.50 a pair it’s got to be worth a try.

Before I upgraded my garage/workshop to draught-free, insulated doors, I used to use these: nylon work gloves
After a nasty bout of "statin poisoning", which has badly affected most of my joints, I now wear this type of gloves for driving as well as in my workshop. They're also warm outside, although it hasn't gone below -12C here yet this year, so the jury's still out on that aspect. Surprisingly they also work with my touchscreen devices as well.

All in all, a good deal for the thirty bob they cost here!

I don't suppose they'll warm you much but these are excellent for general use. I bought them to use when in my manual wheelchair as I pick up minute glass splinters in my palms (which are a bloody nuisance) but they are thin enough to work in as unlike thicker gloves you can still feel through them. At 63p a pair I don't mind if they split (they haven't yet), get lost or whatever.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supreme-TT...d=1704724685&sprefix=work+glove,aps,91&sr=8-5
Reminded me of when my Best Beloved was able to use a manual chair. I bought her some cycle gloves to protect her hands because the web of her thumb got very rough from gripping the rubber tyre rather than the metal rim of the wheel. Getting her to bed one night, I applied cream to the rough skin, (at this point I should mention I drop my aitches a lot) rubbing the cream in I remarked...........'ide like a hippopotamus.....Her reply was.....What on earth would you do with a hippopotamus? Collapse of stout husband.

i‘ve been using these. They keep my hands warm, have extra grip due to the rubber coating. They are thin enough to feel what you’re doing. The big advantage is that the fingers will detach if they get caught in machinery. So I feel they’re ok for lathe work. I’ve not tested the theory though! They are pricey at £5.50 a pair.

https://www.axminstertools.com/uvex-phynomic-x-foam-finger-protection-gloves-ax1040319
Thanks for that, I’ve just ordered a pair to try.

Back