Dust masks for women

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
My partner is struggling to find a dust mask that fits her face - she's of a fairly slight build and so far all the masks she's tried seem to be more or less useless, meaning she has to keep her mouth open all the time or similar antics, or if she does it up tight enough to seal, it squashes her nose - she also wears glasses which doesn't help. Are there any masks that can be recommended by others of her sex? It's also worth mentioning that while she's wearing it, it will be for some fairly vigorous work, think dusty hay and so on.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I (male not female so not firsthand experience sorry) really like my JSP mask, especially the PressToCheck feature that closes the filters and allows you to confirm the mask then suctions to your face and no air is leaking in. They are available in a number of sizes (small, medium, large, etc.) so you may find something that fits her well and you will be able to confirm so using PressToCheck

Sean

If it's just a dust mask type then I often use micropore or masking tape (for both I stick to my clothes first to reduce the tack a bit) and then use it to seal around my nose. I often find the dust masks allow air to blow up past otherwise, which steams up my safety glasses making it more dangerous wearing ppe.

Emma Cook, brands herself the tiny turner and really is. Her brother has set up a linked ppe business and might be able to help, worth a question on the contact page. Search for the tiny turner, shop, follow the links.

I (male not female so not firsthand experience sorry) really like my JSP mask, especially the PressToCheck feature that closes the filters and allows you to confirm the mask then suctions to your face and no air is leaking in. They are available in a number of sizes (small, medium, large, etc.) so you may find something that fits her well and you will be able to confirm so using PressToCheck

Sean
Thanks for that, we'll look into them.

If you work for a company who provides respiratory protective equipment, they are required to do 'face fit testing' (Fit testing basics - Respiratory protective equipment (RPE)).

You could find a company who does this testing as they will have access to the full range of what is on the market.

Given that RPE is used a lot on construction sites and there are a lot of women on construction sites these days, something to suit her will surely (shirly) be available.

Call one of the manufacturers/distributors (e.g. JSP, 3M, Uvex) and ask them for recommendations.

https://www.anchorsafety.co.uk/news/ppe-for-women-the-nearest-male-size-just-isnt-good-enoughhttps://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/en/designed-with-you-in-mind/

If it's just a dust mask type then I often use micropore or masking tape (for both I stick to my clothes first to reduce the tack a bit) and then use it to seal around my nose. I often find the dust masks allow air to blow up past otherwise, which steams up my safety glasses making it more dangerous wearing ppe.
Thanks, but she's a bit of a wimp when it comes to sticky things being removed, though I get your point about clothes first.

Emma Cook, brands herself the tiny turner and really is. Her brother has set up a linked ppe business and might be able to help, worth a question on the contact page. Search for the tiny turner, shop, follow the links.
Thanks, we'll give her a look!

If you work for a company who provides respiratory protective equipment, they are required to do 'face fit testing' (Fit testing basics - Respiratory protective equipment (RPE)).

You could find a company who does this testing as they will have access to the full range of what is on the market.

Given that RPE is used a lot on construction sites and there are a lot of women on construction sites these days, something to suit her will surely (shirly) be available.

Call one of the manufacturers/distributors (e.g. JSP, 3M, Uvex) and ask them for recommendations.

https://www.anchorsafety.co.uk/news/ppe-for-women-the-nearest-male-size-just-isnt-good-enoughhttps://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/en/designed-with-you-in-mind/
Excellent! Thanks.

My sister has the same issue, we found the Moldex small one was the best one. You can fit all sorts of different filters for whatever you need.

https://respro.com/
Not the normal woodworkers mask, but their products may be worth investigating.

They are flexible cloth and neoprene so may fit better
Are aimed at cyclists - so people engaged in strenuous activity
Are intended for women as well as men

Probably not compliant with any standard per se, but industrial standards were never intended to address many wider, real world needs.

My wife uses a mask when vaping her bees to treat them for veroa. It needs to fit perfectly and has the small JSP mask with the appropriate filters fitted. As mentioned previously it has the press to test filters to confirm it is working. Because it seals fully nothing comes up to steam up glasses, however they sit slightly higher because of the bit over your nose.

PPE for women is rubbish as many nursing staff discovered at the height of Covid.
JSP is good for most.
For disposables. 3M Aura masks are greatfor smaller faces. Women I know have used 9332+ (valved so easier to breathe out) and 9330+ (unvalved so better if you don’t want to breathe your Covid around for instance)
Also jsp springfit fold flat too.
All the above are FFP3 (best protection equivalent to US N99)

Worth trying a few styles as all faces are different. Don’t use whether you can smell or not as a test as smell molecules are tiny so can get through ffp3 (other than the springfit ones with charcoal/carbon which do also block smell)

Yes like SeanF, I'd highly recommend JSP Press To Check filters too- they are sized so there is a Small and there where they meet the face is very flexible rubber to mould to all facial shapes. Good luck

Thanks all, some very useful information and I've passed it all on...

Back