Running out of time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not a left right issue. It’s an echo chamber where you don’t get to chose what you listen to. The algorithms keep feeding you more of what you ‘like’. Very quickly you come to believe that everyone thinks the same as you, except for a small number of alternate views that come from trolls. Note that trolls are also not left or right simply contrary.
The net result of all this is everyone believes their view is in the majority and any alternative view is from a non desirable ‘type’ in society.

Unsocial media it certainly is. I find it upsetting that peoples main thought processes today are driven by algorithms designed to encourage engagement to make them look at more adverting. Frankly it’s deplorable.

It’s not a left right issue. It’s an echo chamber where you don’t get to chose what you listen to. The algorithms keep feeding you more of what you ‘like’. Very quickly you come to believe that everyone thinks the same as you, except for a small number of alternate views that come from trolls. Note that trolls are also not left or right simply contrary.
The net result of all this is everyone believes their view is in the majority and any alternative view is from a non desirable ‘type’ in society.

Unsocial media it certainly is. I find it upsetting that peoples main thought processes today are driven by algorithms designed to encourage engagement to make them look at more adverting. Frankly it’s deplorable.
Yes on Facebook, but not on message boards like this one where you choose your conversation. That's why I find political chat more interesting on here - it's not an echo chamber, quite the opposite!

Yes on Facebook, but not on message boards like this one where you choose your conversation. That's why I find political chat more interesting on here - it's not an echo chamber, quite the opposite!
Agreed. The curse is services that make suggestions and feed you information. Facebook, YouTube, in fact anywhere that says “you might like”

It is pretty balanced here as long as you ignore the nonsense some people spout about sharpening.

It is pretty balanced here as long as you ignore the nonsense some people spout about sharpening.
They can't help it they've been bombarded with misinformation by dubious gurus and gadget salesmen, for a generation or more. No wonder they are confused! :ROFLMAO:

Paul, you wrote,

'The net result of all this is everyone believes their view is in the majority and any alternative view is from a non desirable ‘type’ in society.'

Was it really so different when everyone got all their news from one or two regular papers?

Paul, you wrote,

'The net result of all this is everyone believes their view is in the majority and any alternative view is from a non desirable ‘type’ in society.'

Was it really so different when everyone got all their news from one or two regular papers?
I believe it is different.

Today if you like a video or comment about Flat Earth for example you continue to get more and more content about flat earth, you aren’t even exposed to comments about round earth. As you reply and/or like more content it gets more and more insidious to the extent that your entire life revolves around Flat Earth. This is the primary cause of a lot of radicalisation in society today.
In the days of newspapers even the most rabid of publications were displayed alongside other papers so you at least got to see the alternative headlines.

I believe it is different.

Today if you like a video or comment about Flat Earth for example you continue to get more and more content about flat earth, you aren’t even exposed to comments about round earth. As you reply and/or like more content it gets more and more insidious to the extent that your entire life revolves around Flat Earth. This is the primary cause of a lot of radicalisation in society today.
In the days of newspapers even the most rabid of publications were displayed alongside other papers so you at least got to see the alternative headlines.
You may well be right, to some extent but don't you feel that the main causes of radicalisation (both political and religious) are gullibility and stupidity, rather than comments from anonymous nutters on the internet? The kind of people who allow themselves to be dragged into such ways of thinking aren't exactly among the intellectual elite to start with; the scariest part of it all is that they're allowed to vote, drive and are treated like normal members of society. Like much of today's English language, it seems that "normal" has changed in meaning over the past several decades.

You may well be right, to some extent but don't you feel that the main causes of radicalisation (both political and religious) are gullibility and stupidity, rather than comments from anonymous nutters on the internet? The kind of people who allow themselves to be dragged into such ways of thinking aren't exactly among the intellectual elite to start with; the scariest part of it all is that they're allowed to vote, drive and are treated like normal members of society. Like much of today's English language, it seems that "normal" has changed in meaning over the past several decades.
People have always been gullible and stupid. That’s why there have always been, kings, war lords, politicians and ‘leaders’ of any other type. Today you can add influencers to that list.

People have always been gullible and stupid. That’s why there have always been, kings, war lords, politicians and ‘leaders’ of any other type. Today you can add influencers to that list.
Seems a bit pessimistic! "Influencers" have been with us, for better or worse, from earliest times.
Nothing new about it at all. In fact the more the merrier in my opinion - especially when particular influencers are dominant; the state, the establishment, the right wing media etc. They need to be challenged continually.

....... don't you feel that the main causes of radicalisation (both political and religious) are gullibility and stupidity,
Yes far better that everybody should stay un-woke and not worry their little heads about things they don't understand!
..... the scariest part of it all is that they're allowed to vote, ....
It's called "democracy" - a radical idea brought to us by Influencers, often against serious opposition. :unsure:
Generally regarded as a good thing. Not perfect but better than the alternatives, by and large.

Last edited:
Seems a bit pessimistic! "Influencers" have been with us, for better or worse, from earliest times.
Nothing new about it at all. In fact the more the merrier in my opinion - especially when particular influencers are dominant; the state, the establishment, the right wing media etc. They need to be challenged continually.
Your comment makes the point…. With the pushing of information that only matches your view where does the challenge come from? You have to actively find the ‘opposition’ and post your contrary opinion which instantly flags you as a troll and actually reinforces the echo chamber effect. So many sites suffer the dog whistle pile on mentality that stifles any contrarian opinion.

You are so keen to make it a right left issue but the uncomfortable true it is is everywhere, shock horror, even outside of politics.

In case you want to see a non political example go to HeadFi.com and post a thread saying different cables make no difference to the sound of your hi-if. You will get hundreds of responses telling you you are an silly person. At the same time go to Soundscience.com and post a thread that say different cables make a difference to the sound of your hi-if. Again you will get hundreds of replies telling you you are an silly person. Two hi-if sites with extreme ’left/right’ leanings and both absolutely sure of their truth.

Last edited:

You are so keen to make it a right left issue but the uncomfortable true it is is everywhere, shock horror, even outside of politics.
Is there a boundary? Consider the word "conservative", is it just about being reluctant to look at change or is it a political creed?

I’ve made a difference this morning - unfortunately a bad one. I lit a bonfire without thinking what may be nestled in there and am now guilty of hedgehog manslaughter.

Just considering what penance I need to perform.

I seriously feel quite bad about it!

I’ve made a difference this morning - unfortunately a bad one. I lit a bonfire without thinking what may be nestled in there and am now guilty of hedgehog manslaughter.

Eat it? (if it's well done).

Does anybody actually take these so called influencers seriously, they are in it for money and followers so are paid to say what they say and what they think their followers want to hear. Some of them should be in the circus, they would make great clowns as they do look so ridiculous and I think that is to help them disguise the fact they are not keeping a straight face whilst talking absolute nonsense .

post a thread saying different cables make no difference to the sound of your hi-if. You will get hundreds of responses telling you you are an silly person.
Been down that route and even had the data from test to prove that it made no difference within the window of frequencies a human can hear when young.

We used to test instrumentation cabling with Rohde & schwarz test gear and at those frequencies it was the connections that caused most issues and not the cabling type.

Does anybody actually take these so called influencers seriously,
They certainly do - Farage being prime example of disastrous influencer! Persuaded a whole nation to commit economic suicide!
At least it wasn't violent revolution.

Last edited:

I feel for you. I’m fortunate to have a wife who turns the entire fire pile over before she lights it. It too easy to forget that our pile of rubbish might be a cosy home to a whole host of critters.

Is there a boundary? Consider the word "conservative", is it just about being reluctant to look at change or is it a political creed?
For you there isn’t a boundary. It seems any topic ultimately prompts a political response from you. It must be difficult coping in a world where everything you see, do or hear hinges on a plot by the right wing.
As I’ve mentioned before I have zero interest in politics and certainly don’t live my life in constant angst as to how left or right someone’s views are.

Back