Running out of time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The message that people should take from the life experiences of the older generation is not to work until you drop, set retirement as an objective and once you have the funds then retire. I know of people still working full time at 70 plus because they cannot let go of that paypacket yet are in a financial position that would have let them retire at sixty if not earlier, it seems to be a mindset that you are not old or a pensioner so long as you keep working and by retiring it is game over. The secret is good financial planing, it is not difficult providing you are willing to work with the numbers and not fight them.

People do seem to whinge a lot more and fail to accept that they need to take control, an example is mortgages where they are now more realistic but not for many who just took low interest rates as being the norm rather than taking the upper hand and actually rather than mortgaging themselves to the hilt been a bit more savy and taken something less and paid more off each month to reduce the debt, it is better to own a complete smaller house than just the kitchen of a larger one. The sooner that debt is cleared the sooner you can pile money into retirement preparation and still have money to live today.

That clock started ticking the moment you were born, time is according to physics a linear dimension but it really does not feel linear. As I have said the older folk have had the best years from the Uk, it is being dragged down by so much incompetance and stupidity and with the enviroment also turning on us that I would not want to be in the shoes of the latest generations.
I think every generation has lamented the passing of its time. It doesn’t mean the future generations won’t make the most of what they have been given and then lament it in their own turn.

I think for us older generation growing up was more exciting and now there is something missing, cannot put my finger on it but growing up in the sixties we had a childhood and was shielded from much of the real world, now kids are fully exposed and jump from being kids to little adults and all the pressures of life.
No, they jump from being children to being adult children still playing video games.....

Seriously in the 50s and I think In
the 60s we were expected to be children, unless going to a wedding we dressed like children and did childish things, now kids are dressed like adults, see and hear things we didn't and are treated in a way that makes them grow up too fast.
How often do you see kids playing games outdoors, and acting like kids?
I think we gained a lot from a longer growing up time, and that current children lose out.

I don’t worry about being able to tie my shoelaces. I just don’t understand why anyone anyone still buys footwear that you have to tie to your feet with string in 2023!
Can't go around in slippers all day!

No, they jump from being children to being adult children still playing video games.....

Seriously in the 50s and I think In
the 60s we were expected to be children, unless going to a wedding we dressed like children and did childish things, now kids are dressed like adults, see and hear things we didn't and are treated in a way that makes them grow up too fast.
How often do you see kids playing games outdoors, and acting like kids?
I think we gained a lot from a longer growing up time, and that current children lose out.
I'm "working", for want of a better term, with two 25 year olds at the moment, they act like children all the time and are glued to their phones when they should be working. When they are not staring at their phones, they are standing about moaning about having to do any work.

I'm "working", for want of a better term, with two 25 year olds at the moment, they act like children all the time and are glued to their phones when they should be working. When they are not staring at their phones, they are standing about moaning about having to do any work.
Can you actually have a conversation with them or is all communication via text ! The creator of the teletubbies was obviously a Psychic as they could see the direction we were heading and that eventually evolution would give us inbuilt antena, no facial expressions as botox had removed those genes and the voice would just become incoherent babble.

1680877962098.png

It's mainly communication by grunt, although the younger does have the ability to speak.

Usually I just poke them with a rule to let them know to get out of the way. The elder has done an NVQ in something and generally acts like he's a god.

Shame he can't cut OSB mildly square tho'but.

Adam, we had a lad with us on a job at the old Nestle factory in Hayes, my mate sent him back to the office and told them to send us a hammer instead, as it would be more use.

WTF is that supposed to mean! Keep your politics to yourself. This topic is not about that.
Interesting question. Presumably you do understand what it means or you wouldn't react so rudely, so your journey through life hasn't yet taught you that other folks might have an equally valid outlook or that social media already has enough self-appointed policemen. It was just a throwaway intro to an on-topic observation and hardly deserved such a boorish response....

Interesting question. Presumably you do understand what it means or you wouldn't react so rudely, so your journey through life hasn't yet taught you that other folks might have an equally valid outlook or that social media already has enough self-appointed policemen. It was just a throwaway intro to an on-topic observation and hardly deserved such a boorish response....
Other opinions I can respect don’t take the form of “culture wars” bigoted cliches.

Other opinions I can respect don’t take the form of “culture wars” bigoted cliches.
Interesting thought - I wonder if you know the definition of "bigot"; that statement seems to fit the bill rather well.

With all due respect, I think I'd be rather proud to hold opinions that folks like you don't respect.....

Interesting thought - I wonder if you know the definition of "bigot"; that statement seems to fit the bill rather well.

With all due respect, I think I'd be rather proud to hold opinions that folks like you don't respect.....
This isn’t going anywhere. Let’s leave it.

You might be pleased to know that personally I welcome comments from the un-woke. They need to join in, otherwise the poor things may never catch up / wake up!

or that social media already has enough self-appointed policemen
Social media is a social disease that is eating it's way through society and what silly person thought of calling it "social media" because in reality it is as unsocial as it gets and needs far more control. What do humans become once you remove social interaction and the ability for face to face communication, it removes the personal aspect completely and this is so evident in day to day life. As has been said

It's mainly communication by grunt, although the younger does have the ability to speak.

and it is also the addictive nature where people become phone zombies and distracted from day to day life and the ability to be a useful contributor to a place of work.

Can social media be blamed for this so called woke nonsense, has it been a platform for the extreme left to spread nonsense to an audience that many of whom are vunerable and open to suggestion and are we now in a phase of self destruction, even more concerning is could this all be orchestrated by some third party for there objective.

Not so sure it's just the extreme left which is spouting nonsense though.

Anyway, the young chaps in question are not doing themselves any favours as they now appear on the radar of the construction manager, our site manager and the site H&S officer, so I doubt that they will be with us for much longer.

Can social media be blamed for this so called woke nonsense, has it been a platform for the extreme left to spread nonsense to an audience that many of whom are vunerable ......
It's more interesting than the un-woke nonsense.
I suppose they are vulnerable and it might be a bit of a shock to be woken up from their extreme right dreams!

Back