So it happened.........what next

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read your post and understand your situation- many years of experience at various management levels but no real qualifications but experience imo is worth far more than a few letters on a bit of fancy paper. You have already reduced your expenditures and no doubt will continue to .depending on any payoff or redundancy payments you may be entitled to claim benefits of various kinds ( no shame in this ) but even if they ( DWP) can’t help financially they have a host of advisors and multiple other people who can help you with your next move . Someone above mentioned debt and another mentioned keeping up on the mortgage etc . 100% let these people know of your situation they will also help and advise you - even if you can cover the mortgage atm let them know asap , try not to dip into any savings unless it’s impossible not too . When I lost my job of 30 + years I had approx £5,000 of debt hanging over me , the letters from the bank didn’t take long to arrive so I went in and explained, had to go through everything warts and all but they were very helpful and understanding. They froze the interest and put me on a cursory payment, then a payment freeze, by the time they did eventually pass it to a debt company I had claimed the 25% of my pensions and eventually offered them a 1 off payment and that was that . Slept a lot better from then on . So definitely keep everyone ( bills etc ) informed and as above take a little time out and chill out as this is not your fault . As for work be weary of taking a job that you don’t want to do but feel you have to because of your pride , you will definitely find something else and remember this when asked by any prospective employer - “ what can you bring to this company “ reply with I can bring xyz but what can your company bring to my life , good luck fella and keep us updated.

Thanks Triton, I own a bike and it's been sitting in the garage unused for quite some time. I used it a lot when I went through my divorce so it's a good idea to dust it down and get back out on the road. We have some great canals not too far away.
I'm not one not to work, but a bit of free time might do me good.

Well now's the time.
And the remarkable thing about canal paths, is they nearly always lead to a pub.
So you can ride out, stop, eat a nice lunch and return.

Any advice on rebuilding the bike, just post up.

I do have a package on offer, so there will be money enogh for a few months. I'm not single, but my partner is employed, we don't have children (my 2 children from past relationship are 18 and 20)
Thank you, you are right, it could well be a great opportunity, I'll be exploring what's available.
I enjoy being active and have never been out of work before, so I've already started throwing out prospective applications.
And you've got to love an Arthur Daley reference
Take a look at The Fire Service or The NHS.

Well now's the time.
And the remarkable thing about canal paths, is they nearly always lead to a pub.
So you can ride out, stop, eat a nice lunch and return.

Any advice on rebuilding the bike, just post up.

Can’t beat the canals for a bit of peace and tranquillity.
This is the view from the bedroom (cabin) window this morning.
IMG_7373.jpeg

Always loved boats, I could happily live on one.

Is that your main place of residence, or a holiday thing ?

Hire boat - Got to give it back tomorrow morning. We’ve been doing it for many years and love it.
We were planning to buy one when we retired but took early retirement and moved house instead.

Back