Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about speaking out against current injustices or will it be ok to leave it to our great grandchildren to say it wasn't their fault?
Agree totally - far better to focus on current injustice and improving the future, than seeking repentance for a long gone past about which nothing can be done, and for which those living have no responsibility.

She probably wasn't interested in politics at all. After all during her life she had around 20 chances to take part and never voted once.

Mind you as far as I am aware the monarch and immediate heir are the only Britons who are actually forbidden from voting on reaching their majority

She probably wasn't interested in politics at all. After all during her life she had around 20 chances to take part and never voted once.

Mind you as far as I am aware the monarch and immediate heir are the only Britons who are actually forbidden from voting on reaching their majority
Royal family don't/shouldn't vote... there isn't a law to stop them though,
and members of the House of Lords are not allowed to vote in General Elections.

... I do wonder if he has secret admirers amongst a few "officers" policing the royal goings on though... they seem to think it acceptable to bust people for carrying out their right to show dissent... Vlad might offer them a job.

Royal family don't/shouldn't vote... there isn't a law to stop them though,
and members of the House of Lords are not allowed to vote in General Elections.

Didn't know that about the HoL. Ironic, the unelected unable to elect....
I'm sure there are good people in the place but quite a few not so good.

Didn't know that about the HoL. Ironic, the unelected unable to elect....
I'm sure there are good people in the place but quite a few not so good.
I was surprised. There are laws stopping Lords voting... but not the "royal family"... but it is/would be seen as "unconstitutional" for a member of the "royal family" to vote. Yes, sadly Bozo has put some right turds in the HoL.

I am sure she had to endure many things that must have raised her eyebrows, or that she found personally distasteful. A knighthood for Robert Mugabe for example. Or shaking hands with Martin McGuiness, a man undoubtedly involved in the murder of Earl Mountbatten.

As I recall she had no problem and was even happy meeting McGuinness, she knew that it was an important thing to do for the peace and legacy process at the time. She seemed to get on well with him.
Same can be said for Charles and his meetings with Gerry Adams which was repeated with Michelle O'Neill at Hillsborough yesterday.

PS- not sure McGuinness was involved in the Mullaghmore tragedy, that was the South Armagh outfit. As an aside Mountbatten ironically was in favour of an United Ireland.

Last edited:
Not at all.

That's exactly what has happened. Rather the point of the exercise. Well done chaps!
hear hear. A nasty figure from history has statues and a shopping arcade named after him around here. He was regarded as an evil git even by his contemps'... he tortured and murdered a slave girl for some trumped up crime. Why should he have an uncritical statue in my town, I've never tortured or killed anyone, why should it be that after my days, nothing is left of me, but that bar steward has an uncritical monument forever more. Put them in a colonial house of horrors museum detailing their crimes.

As I recall she had no problem and was even happy meeting McGuinness, she knew that it would was an important thing to do for the peace and legacy process at the time. She seemed to get on well with him.
Same can be said for Charles and his meetings with Gerry Adams which was repeated with Michelle O'Neill at Hillsborough yesterday.

PS- not sure McGuinness was involved in the Mullaghmore tragedy, that was the South Armagh outfit. As an aside Mountbatten ironically was in favour of an United Ireland.
The people up the top know they've treated a large community very badly and had a hand in the violence... when they have to meet these people face to face in formal surroundings, they know they are just 'the other team'.... it's just the hired help who get riled up against the "nasty enemy". That's what the posters in WW1 were for, as an example.

I was surprised. There are laws stopping Lords voting... but not the "royal family"... but it is/would be seen as "unconstitutional" for a member of the "royal family" to vote. Yes, sadly Bozo has put some right turds in the HoL.
As did May, as did Cameron, as did Brown, as did Blair ...
Name one who hasn't.

I wonder if any monarch actually felt any guilt over being the head of a country that committed what was in fact genocide.

Quote from above talking about Australia

The institutions that British colonisation brought here, from the education that erases us to the prisons that kill us, are designed to destroy the oldest living culture in the world. That’s the legacy of the crown in this country.

The “British empire” declared a war on these shores, against this country’s First Nations peoples. This led to massacres. And you want a minute’s silence from me?

So I would bet that now shes gone Australia may well decide to drop the crown, save charles at his age from long haul travel.
Well you can tell the real strength of feeling about the Queen and her reign by the existence of the Commowealth and its peoples. Great Britain brought civilisation to countries across the world. It brought law and order, justice, stability and organisation. Yes, history is riddled with stories of subjugation and domination from many countries who were as cruel but that is history.

The Commonwealth is strong and appears to be enthusiastic about remaining a member of, what was once, colonial rule.
The only apology I can think of, as far as Austraila, is concerned, is the number of criminals sent there in the past.

There are ways to remember and celebrate a life with open and honest dialect but there is a line where it becomes toxic and obviously being done for the wrong reasons. If a person is that well known and respected then few words are really needed to get the message across, going into a sales pitch gives the impression you are trying to sell the idea to the masses and drum up support so not a good time for the news channels especially the bbc.
I agree. The media have provided too much coverage of the death of our monarch but they have to fill the time between the death and the funeral. The BBC has changed a lot over the years and not necessarily in good ways. I wish they'd go back to just reporting rather than appearing to be knowledgeable in all things.

hear hear. A nasty figure from history has statues and a shopping arcade named after him around here. He was regarded as an evil git even by his contemps'... he tortured and murdered a slave girl for some trumped up crime. Why should he have an uncritical statue in my town, I've never tortured or killed anyone, why should it be that after my days, nothing is left of me, but that bar steward has an uncritical monument forever more. Put them in a colonial house of horrors museum detailing their crimes.
he was a director of the Royal Africa Company, patron at the time Charles II brother. The company branded their slaves with the initial RAC. But this was, shamefully, perfectly normal in those times. Where does your torture and murder account come from. As to his being regarded badly by his contemporaries, then why did they put up a statue, and name so many things after him.
The facts are that yes he made a great deal of money, at least in part from his involvement in the Royal Africa Company. Many other made huge sums on the back of the slave trade. What singled Coulson out for attention was that after his departure from RAC he chose to spend a considerable proportion of his money on charitable works for the benefit of the local people, many of whom I suspect continue to benefit from his legacies and endowments. Most of his contemporaries trousered the money and built bigger houses or whatever. So did his connections with the slave trade make him an evil man? In our eyes today, undoubtedly. But to his contemporaries this would not have been to his detriment at all, and his philanthropic works made him a local hero. This is just the sort of story that needs telling so people can understand just how normal this was at the time, and how embedded the idea of slavery was in our society that a company that branded people with hot irons could be regarded as a perfectly reasonable investment opportunity.
There was an interesting documentary made shortly before the toppling of the statue. The reporter was black, and with a family history of slavery. There was quite an emotional.moment when he discovered that His own ancestors had very likely been sold by the very company Coulson was involved with. His view was that the statue should remain, but accompanied by a more detailed explanation of his history. They also interviewed a young black lady who had benefited from one of his foundations for the education of the poor, which had put her through university of I recall correctly. She understandably had mixed emotions, but came to a similar conclusion, leave it up and use it to educate people about the past.
If it was left for all to see then passers by might stop, thinking " I wonder who this was" and, given appropriate information, would get a thought provoking history lesson. As it is I suspect that in a few years time no one will know who he was or the story behind him.

Maybe as far as those who are still suffering from the consequences, such as Palestinians, West Indian descendants of slaves, native Americans and Australians, for starters. Could look at the depredations inflicted upon our own recent ancestors with the Highland clearances, the purges of Ireland and Wales ..... and so on!
I’m an Ancient Briton and I’m still waiting for an apology from them thieving, raping Romans.

bbc today has 47 separate queenie and rf articles on its web site. Totally crazy. One is dedicated to leaking pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back