Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall using one of these many, many years ago. I think we called them French Knitters. I might make one as a mystery object.
Thanks for sharing Joschua.

The metal loops have to be longer and wider! My version is to small! Width 8 mm, Longness 10 mm.

Greetings,
This is my first post here and I am relatively new to woodworking.
This is an English Elm coffee table finished with Danish Oil:
e1882179-032c-4ee1-8894-69aae8718bd7.JPG
IMG_1632.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg

Thank you, Lefley
The rails are called Linear Rails. Those are from a company called Vevor but many other companies produce them. You can find on amazon. Those are 20mm but I believe you can also find them with 16mm rails (I think).
Wow, thank you. I've been looking at the woodpecker system at 1500$ . Bulking at the price , not buying it. Making a make shift plywood system that sort of worked. This is a nice alternative that I can afford.

Wow, thank you. I've been looking at the woodpecker system at 1500$ . Bulking at the price , not buying it. Making a make shift plywood system that sort of worked. This is a nice alternative that I can afford.
Happy to help. That was supposed to be a prototype but I am pleased with the result. That's by no means an original idea, as I copied it from several YouTube videos. The running carts have a locking hex bolt on the side so you can lock for example the X axys or the Y axys and make sure that the router runs in a straight line. If done right It is great for squaring the wood.

Today I finished making a knife. It started out as a two day course at Oldfield Forge in Herefordshire, then a few days at home adding the final bevel, redrilling two of the handle holes, giving it a bath in cheap & nasty (and hence acidic) coffee to bring out the grain, then shaping and fitting (with epoxy and stainless steel pins) a walnut handle. A very satisfying project, but a lot of sanding!

1667582909728.png

1667582920253.png

1667582936591.png

1667582953062.png

1667582963642.png

1667582974770.png

So today I finished the spalted sycamore bowl I started yesterday, I absolutely love this stuff when it's finished but it's so punky it's a PITA to get a good cut so end up hitting it with 40g paper to get rid of the tear out then up to 320g abrasive paste and hard wax finish, the inside was pretty much the same except I left it a couple mm thicker than I wanted it as its so dry I was worried about it exploding then I used 40g to sand it back to the thickness I wanted.
20221104_163941.jpg
20221104_163946.jpg
20221104_163951.jpg
20221104_163955.jpg
20221104_164001.jpg

After that I decided to start roughing out some Xmas decorations ready for the schools Xmas fair in a couple weeks, 2 bigger trees made from Ash and coloured with colouring pencil, 4 tiny trees that need drilling at the tip for some string then they can be finished with a little oil of some sort or I may leave them plain to let the children colour them for themselves
20221104_163847.jpg
20221104_163914.jpg

Today I finished making a knife. It started out as a two day course at Oldfield Forge in Herefordshire, then a few days at home adding the final bevel, redrilling two of the handle holes, giving it a bath in cheap & nasty (and hence acidic) coffee to bring out the grain, then shaping and fitting (with epoxy and stainless steel pins) a walnut handle. A very satisfying project, but a lot of sanding!

View attachment 146545

View attachment 146546

View attachment 146547

View attachment 146548

View attachment 146549

View attachment 146550
nice one!

Wow

View attachment 146545

View attachment 146546

View attachment 146547

View attachment 146548

View attachment 146549

View attachment 146550
Wow, that is something REALLY special.
Would love to know more about the process that produced this beautiful result.
What steel have you used - Damascus ?
I just love the bringing together metal and wood.
To me, this is a stunning result - well done.
Please send instructions !

stigmorgan
love ur stuff.......shame about the music.......

why is it everytime u watch a drama etc on TV u have cr@p jazz......does anyone really like it.....?
it's the only music, if u can call it that, where u can add or drop a note and nobody notices.....
my wife just mutes the jazz on dramas now.....or I'll walk off n go to bed.....hahaha.......

Wow, superb! Must have taken ages

Doris, that Santa's workshop is astonishing! The patience!?!? 🙏

Thank you :) 4 months it took altogether. But I think that was a bit here and then but near the end was pretty intense and working on it almost everyday

That's great!

How big is it?

Thanks it's 8" tall to the roof's apex. Most figures are made to something that's been referred to as circus scale which is about 00 scale and about 1" tall (might be more as I don't have them anymore to give you an exact measurement)

@Doris What a wonderful Santa's Workshop. Must have taken you ages and such patience. Glad to see there is a mad rocking horse there in the front. 😁

The rocking horse was fun to make. I had to use my own hair for the mane in the end as I couldn't find anything that fine!

309585562_10160637713349853_2118844359777685028_n.jpg

Wow

Wow, that is something REALLY special.
Would love to know more about the process that produced this beautiful result.
What steel have you used - Damascus ?
I just love the bringing together metal and wood.
To me, this is a stunning result - well done.
Please send instructions !

It started off as four square pieces of EN45, at a guess they were about 60 mm square and 6 mm thick. They were heated up and hammered together (with a power hammer, although I'd guess a fly press could to the same job), with the scale scrubbed off and lots of borax poured on the joins every time to stop impurities & oxidisation of the joint. Once they were properly welded together, the shape was drawn out into a long cuboid and the central portion had the corners hit to turn it into an octagon and then a hexadecagon. The square sections at the end were then held in a leg vice and a clamp and it was twisted round and round and round (about 20 times I think).

After that, it was gradually shaped to form a knife shape (mostly with a hand hammer this time), then left to cool very slowly in some vermiculite overnight. Then it was ground to roughly the right shape (leaving the bevel a millimetre or two thick to stop distortion) & heat treated. There was then about 3 hours of hand sanding before it went into a bath of ferric chloride for 1/2 hour to bring out the pattern. That's the point when I brought it home.

At home, I ground the bevel (with a water cooled grinder), redrilled two of the holes in the handle (as I wasn't happy with the position) and dunked it in some very cheap and very strongly brewed instant coffee. That was a bit acidic and brought the colour back into the ground bevel.

Final job was fitting the handle, sharpening and oiling the handle.

Hope that all makes sense.

Still looking for projects that I can add kumiko work. So this is a mirror frame as a birthday present for my partner.

Mirror_small.jpg

The frame is from a lump of beech that's been sitting in the store for ages. I quite like the plainness of the beech against the kumiko.

This is a closer look at one of the sides

Mirror detail_small9.jpg

Now to get on with the Christmas presents ( yes, they do involve kumiko :LOL:)

stigmorgan
love ur stuff.......shame about the music.......

why is it everytime u watch a drama etc on TV u have cr@p jazz......does anyone really like it.....?
it's the only music, if u can call it that, where u can add or drop a note and nobody notices.....
my wife just mutes the jazz on dramas now.....or I'll walk off n go to bed.....hahaha.......

Thanks clogs, that's not jazz though its Schubert on classical fm radio, I always listen to it when I'm working 😁😁😁

Latest posts

Back