Organisation and workflow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of a sore topic for me, how do you stay organised and focussed on the work you do? I really struggle with confidence and sometimes motivation. I have a teaching job and I feel it really takes me away from my hobby of making things.

Any advice would be great.

Firstly, EVERYONE suffers with imposter syndrome at some point, if you allow that feeling to take control you will struggle to keep moving forward and improving. I've constantly struggled with being organised and focused, partly due to having a very small space and preferring to make rather than clean up so my makerspace is almost always a tip making it hard to find stuff. If you're struggling, take a break, I find that when things keep going wrong/fail (usually because I'm making stupid choices) it's time to take a day or two, creativity can't be forced or rushed, find what inspires you outside of the woodwork, for me it's a few things, first is my houseplant hobby, my indoor jungle is young and small but growing, next is papercraft, I really enjoy making model animals and birds, if those don't help then I like to get back to nature, a trip to the forest always helps.

I think the secret is to have interest that are totally opposite, when you hit a wall with one just switch and do the other. For me I write software and enjoy woodworking as it is opposite, literally as one needs only grey mater whilst the other needs hands on as well. For something different again when the weather permits the garden is another distraction and lets the grey mater unwind. With many task if you just try and keep pushing it just gets tedious with little progress so take a break and often solutions come along. I have been looking at fitting a wall plate for some F type satelite connectors in the new living room but what a PITA, these cables do not have a good bend radius in the available space and it has been difficult sourcing the required components and finding a suitable fixing method but rather than slogging away when I hit a dead end I just leave it and come back later with fresh eyes and it has progressed ok without getting stressed out.

Along the same lines as @Stigmorgan and @Spectric i have several interests always loved gardening/ growing veg and some fruit , same with woodworking and most building related work I think years ago I’d be classed as all trades but the term I often hear is multi trade or multi skilled . I’m a little annoyed with myself as I love fishing ( especially carp ) but I’ve just not had the time due to family issues anxiety /stress etc but I will definitely try to in the next month or so. But point is I think we all have moments or times that we just don’t know what to do but that’s ok , we all get stuck , bogged down and even end up feeling a bit trapped but as above the trick is to switch to something else for a day or two or a week it’s doesn’t matter as long as you are relaxed you will solve whatever your problem is be it at home or work. The last 2 days I’ve been fitting a twin shower / sauna type enclosure- a 2 man job but I was on my own. Several times I need a 2nd pair of arms but nope just me . Now I’ve started the twin whirlpool bath again 2 man job as the thing is a beast that took 6 men to get it upstairs. The waste has been broken off by one of the builder moving said bath so this evening after a bit of thought I came up with this …….so I’m sure you too will do the same ..
Just take a step or two back and hopefully you will find your way..very good luck 🤞 to you ..

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3241.jpeg
    IMG_3241.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    908.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 0
I think we fall into the trap of feeling like we are failing if its not up there with the BS image fed us by modern media. All those videos of perfect workshops clean as operating rooms. Those buzwords like focused, driven, and the like remind me of those horrible management training/brainwashing courses I often got sent on where we played jenga and got told about left and right brains. Sure having a bit of a plan and being organised speeds things up and some tasks require a bit of focus too but (for me) woodworking is about doing something I like and not being on a deadline with KPIs attached. True there are some days I have had to just get out of the shed and do something else rather than compound the ba//sup. Dog's always happy to get an extra walk. Next day things usually look a lot better. I actually think that solving the problems is one of the great things about woodwork. Its why they allways say get more wood than the project needs to cover mistakes. Also woodwork covers such a wide range so if something is going a bit stale there is plenty other things to try.
Regards
John

Bit of a sore topic for me, how do you stay organised and focussed on the work you do? I really struggle with confidence and sometimes motivation. I have a teaching job and I feel it really takes me away from my hobby of making things.

As a shrink, I deal with these issues daily on a professional level. There can be a number of reasons, but the main one is poor organisational skills as you have identified. This is principally a lack of planning and a lack of direction, which leads to feeling overwhelmed by a world of seemingly competing tasks.

In life and in woodworking, it is necessary to work with a sequential plan. What makes this so difficult for many (in my opinion) is the use of bloody To Do lists! What happens is that one writes down everything desirable, with new items added to the bottom of the list, with the result that lists grow longer and longer .. and feel increasingly overwhelming. This leads to a sense of failure, feeing stressed and confused. I am commonly told, "my world feels like everything is coming at me at the same time". Paralysis follows.

These lists should be called "Wish Lists". That is all they are good for. Good to have a list (actually essential), but not to use this way. What you need to do is instead learn to prioritise tasks. Create an "Action List" (my name). This is no more than 2 or 3 things you plan to do. These are tasks that need to be done today. Start with the big picture - what is the result you are aiming for. Now break these down into the essential components. I call these "Chapters" (like in a book). Now create an "Action Plan" for each task. That involves breaking each task down into small chunks, and determining the sequence in which they need to be done. It also really - really! - helps to allocate a time to start tasks.

I live this. One task at a time. But, if interrupted, as life is sure to do, then my Action Plan enables me to put aside the activity and later get back to where I left off, and also know specifically what needs to be done for each activity. This is the key to avoiding confusion, and breaking down each task into the smallest of steps makes it possible to understand what and how it is to be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:

Hi @Hsmith 192
With regards your issue of lack of confidence and motivation. In August 1998 I bought the book 'Calm at Work' by Paul Wilson. Up until then I did not have 'inner confidence ' I spent three consecutive days reading that book and it transformed my life. One of the recommendations was to create a mantra, a practice i still do, every morning with a coffee.

In April this year I also revisited another book I bought years ago by Professor Steve Peters 'The Chimp Paradox' and within a few chapters I realised I had forgotten some of the lessons i had learnt. One of my issues was reduced level of motivation.
My motivation is now at the level I'm really, really happy with.

I personally would recommend the Calm at work book first because I personally was doing many things wrong, so I stopped my bad habits and created good ones.

Fortunately for me I had a number of people at work who were highly motivated and extremely calm, so if I wasn't feeling highly motivated or calm, I would 'see in my mind Tim or Mark, and I would be 'in the zone ' wacky how it works but it did.

Hope this helps
Cheers Fred

Hi @Hsmith 192
One of the podcasts I watch on YouTube is 'The diary of a CEO'. The one I'm going to watch now is the interview with Mo Gawdat.
I'm going to watch that now to see what I can learn
Fred

Thank you so much. It’s hard but I think I’ll get there one day. I appreciate all the journeys that people are on and still growing on too. I do have good days so it’s good sometimes but I guess we all have strengths and weaknesses and that’s ok.

We just have to remind ourselves that things will go wrong from time to time - a bad day / week / month but the tide will eventually turn and things get better . Just think about something else and concentrate on that , I managed to get that twin bath levelled and connected with no leaks and all was good untill I realised the hot/ cold water selector is stuck on hot water and it’s fubar but not my fault so I decided to leave it with the owner to sort out ..

Latest posts

Back