Domino-ooh-ooo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
After fighting with myself for a long time I finally splurged on a tool for myself, DF500.

Everything is really good, it's a great tool and it's speeded up my workflow quite dramatically. I'll even pretend that at first, when I couldn't get it to plunge at all, it wasn't down to me forgetting to remove the red stop. ;)

I just have one question.

I've watched a tonne of videos with people showing how to use it and saying sand down your dry fit dominos or you'll have a hard time getting them out. Thing is, I haven't sanded any and I'm finding it pretty easy to get them in and out again. This is leading me to think I'm doing something wrong.

Today I put 4 slots in 2 rows (one above the other) with matching sets on another piece. These are the 10 x 50 dominos 4 of them all made on the tight setting. I can put the dominos in and take them out with not much effort.

What am I doing wrong?

French oak workpieces if it matters. End grain to side grain.

Last edited:
I think it's mainly the 5x30 size that have a reputation for being tight, plus there isn't much of them to grip when trying to remove them.

Dominos can take on moisture and swell a bit if in a damp environment but normally okay if straight out of the packet.

As long as they aren't slack I reckon you are okay 👍

I think it's mainly the 5x30 size that have a reputation for being tight, plus there isn't much of them to grip when trying to remove them.

Dominos can take on moisture and swell a bit if in a damp environment but normally okay if straight out of the packet.

As long as they aren't slack I reckon you are okay 👍

Thanks, they were new from the systainer combo in a sealed packet so guessing not swollen. Will have to see what happens when it's glue up time.

I really dont like the sloppy settings as they are so loose. I often just take a chisel and trim off the last rib at each side which gives about 1mm of sideways adjustment

I really dont like the sloppy settings as they are so loose.
The 700 is worse, you only get two settings of tight at 13.5 + cutter diameter or loose at 16.5 + cutter diameter which is to loose. I can remember someone said it is easier / better to just sand the edge of the domino which is the same concept as @Hornbeam using a chissel.

Went into the workshop today and they were actually pretty hard to get out. Is there some initial compression going on either with the dominos or the mortices (just after making them) ?

Went into the workshop today and they were actually pretty hard to get out. Is there some initial compression going on either with the dominos or the mortices (just after making them) ?
The dominos may well have expanded slightly; having taken on some moisture since you opened the sealed packet.

Festool's own dominos are (like the original beech type biscuits) deliberately compressed so as to swell when wetted with glue to make a better joint. Overnight they will have swelled a bit, most likely from absorbing moisture from the less dry timber.

Festool's own dominos are (like the original beech type biscuits) deliberately compressed so as to swell when wetted with glue to make a better joint. Overnight they will have swelled a bit, most likely from absorbing moisture from the less dry timber.

This is a common misconception. The Festool Domino tenons are not compressed, but they do behave as any other beech in the presence of glue.

When I am dry fitting a project and find a stubborn tenon, I used a block plane to slightly trim the pointy tip on the radius ends, but never touch the flat sides. Some tenons can be tough to insert, but go in easy once I apply the glue.

I use quite a lot of 5 x 30 Dominos and keep about 30 slightly sanded ones stored in a zip lock bag for dry assembly.
I also store all my Dominos in a warm, dry area as they can expand slightly over a period of time otherwise.

If you find they are really tight to fit, just put them in a dish along with some kitchen roll paper in the microwave for a few seconds and you will find a surprising amount of moisture will come out of them and they will then be a looser fit....👍

This is a common misconception. The Festool Domino tenons are not compressed, but they do behave as any other beech in the presence of glue.

Marvellous how they laser engrave them with all the dents then. I wonder why they don't just press those in?

Marvellous how they laser engrave them with all the dents then. I wonder why they don't just press those in?
Gosh, Jake...I really don't know. How do Staedtler or Faber-Castell emboss their wooden pencils without compressing the shaft? Oh wait...I saw this when I toured the factories. The pencils go through an embosser that presses the logo into one small section without compressing the entire shaft. It is truly a miracle of technology that apparently does not exist in any other industry.

You can continue to think the Festool Domino tenons are compressed beech if it suits you. It does not matter to me. :rolleyes:

Gosh, Jake...I really don't know. How do Staedtler or Faber-Castell emboss their wooden pencils without compressing the shaft?

I am going to take a massive guess: they emboss them by compressing the bits that aren't embossed. Or else they suck at the sides of them really hard until the wood embosses and gilts itself.

Last edited:
Actually just looked at a Staedtler and can't tell what they do for the writing, or whether it is actually embossed or debossed other than it catches the finger nail, just. Marginally curious at least momentarily.

But what that has to do with a domino who knows. They are clearly heavily debossed (ie compressed).

Back