Glue clean up on domino joints / traditional mortice and tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

Xmas gifts project this year took me down the route of making three toy crates. So decided to borrow a mate's Festool domino 500.

It was the first time I was using one.
During glue up, my nicely sanded workpieces have glue all over them near the joints now.

How to avoid /minimize this? And how to avoid accidental glue touches (by hand or glue spots on the assembly table) on the face of the workpiece while handling it?

Is this the same issue during a traditional mortice and tenon glue up as well?

I tried cleaning the shoulders with a chisel and accidentally damaged it.

Sounds like you are applying to much glue, When I glue up I apply a small amount into the hole then spread it around the lower part of the hole with a small stick , Do the same with the domino applying glue half way along the domino then put the items together with clamps , If you still get squeeze out you are still applying to much adhesive.

I rarely do M&T joints, but I do use Dominos extensively.

A liberal squeeze of glue into the tight Domino hole and tap the Domino all the way home. Slightly more in the wider Domino hole and a minimal smear across one of the surfaces before bringing the joint together. ( Personally, I dont put glue on the Domino at all, only in its corresponding mortice)

The best method is to ensure you have planned the glue up/ clamping and have everything to hand, minimising the opportunity for the glue to run out of the mortices before you bring the joints together.

Any minor excess glue squeezed out, gets wiped away with a damp rag as soon as the clamping is done.

As Blister said,....It does sound as though you are using far too much glue.

Last edited:
I guess you both are right. Since these were gifts and my garage is the same temperature as outside (nearly, anyway) I didn't want the joint coming undone. Hence I was a bit liberal with the glue.

At this time of year, you would be better off bringing your glue into the house the night before you plan on using it.
I'm assuming you're using a PVA based adhesive and if so, they dont like very low temperatures and can often "chalk" up when a joint has dried in the cold.

I use a domino a lot but almost always on the "no play" setting. I also use M+T joints. Tight joints which the domino definitely is dont need much glue. I tend to use an open pot and a small artist paint brush. When gluing up dominos there are effectively 2 mortices for every joint so a lot more glue areas. When you apply the glue generall if applied into the mortice, excess glue gets wiped down to the bottom and then if too much it gets squesezed back up the gaps at the end. Excess glue on the domino gets wiped off and squeezed out of the joint (same for a tennon)
My approach
Finish all parts first . You could apply masking tape around the joint area
Light glue in all mortices
Very light on domino/tennon and shoulders
Clamp up and remove worst of glue squeeze as you go
Dry cloth and plastic scraper to remove most squeeze out
Very hot damp c;loth to remove the last bits but try not to soak the wood or you will lift the grain

Last edited:
Back