Building a MFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching this with interest as I will soon be embarking on my first workbench build. A single car garage workshop necessitates efficiency and so I would like to combine an MFT workbench with a hand tool workbench to allow me to primarily use tracksaw over tablesaw whilst still having the convenience of work holding.

This question caught my eye, and therefore I think that an MFT that is to be used for accurate tracksaw cuts needs to be sheet goods based, but I would very much like something more traditional looking. I would like to be persuaded that solid timber is ok for an MFT 🙏🏼.
I’m going to start on a similar project soon (ish) myself.

I have a double garage but it’s the width of one car and the length of two. They would have to park nose to tail to fit, not side by side. So for all intents and purposes it comes with the same restrictions, only with a little more room to store some machinery later down the line.

My thoughts were to build a heavy hardwood frame but then make removable MFT top insert held in place mechanically rather than glued so that it’s replaceable when I wear the top out.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet, but I’m thinking of using a hinge system like benchdogs make, and coupling it with a sliding dovetail to make a sacrificial zero clearance section where I cut so that I can swap the piece out if I want to make a bevel cut rather than a straight 90.

I’d be keen to see what you settle on as I imagine you will start before I do as I’ve just had a baby so my hands a little full atm. So it would be good to lear from any mistakes you encounter 🍻

Sorry to be boring but it's always been perfectly possible to make a straight cut with a tracksaw, without any sort of special table. If short of space I definitely wouldn't bother - just lay a sheet of MDF over your normal bench.
I'm curious why you think space is a limiting constraint with an MFT? Are you worried about the practicalities of a hybrid hand tool/mft? If so I'd like to hear your concerns.

I think Paul has adequately explained the merits of an MFT. Specifically for me, I want as much of the benefits of a table saw (accuracy, repeatability, muscle memory, cognitive load reduction/flow) as I can get, in a workbench that is multi function (to optimise space).

I'm curious why you think space is a limiting constraint with an MFT?
I didn't say that.
Are you worried about the practicalities of a hybrid hand tool/mft?
No not worried at all!
If so I'd like to hear your concerns.

I think Paul has adequately explained the merits of an MFT. Specifically for me, I want as much of the benefits of a table saw (accuracy, repeatability, muscle memory, cognitive load reduction/flow) as I can get, in a workbench that is multi function (to optimise space).
Interesting list.

I didn't say that.

No not worried at all!

Interesting list.
Maybe I should have just asked what point you were trying to make?

I can extrapolate on what your argument with... why bother with a table saw, you can do everything with a circular saw. What's the point in a circular saw, you can do everything with a hand saw. But think you had a different point that I'm failing to see.

Maybe I should have just asked what point you were trying to make?

I can extrapolate on what your argument with... why bother with a table saw, you can do everything with a circular saw. What's the point in a circular saw, you can do everything with a hand saw. But think you had a different point that I'm failing to see.
Sorry can't help. Not sure what point you are failing to see.

Sorry can't help. Not sure what point you are failing to see.
I’m also struggling tbh. Your contributions in this thread read as though you’ve come on a thread about building an MFT table, purely to be salty about MFT tables and tell people they don’t need them.

And the same reductive argument could be made about most pieces of equipment in a workshop. (Why use a pillar drill when you can just use a combi drill, why use a combi drill when hand drills work just fine… )

The reason most users who opt for an MFT table do so, is the ease and speed at which 90 degree and 45 degree cuts can be set up. Sure we can pineapple about with a ruler and a square every time so we don’t need an MFT, but then you don’t need most of the tools you use, they just make things easier.

So I guess unless your point is just coming in the thread to throw shade, then I’m also missing the point you’re trying to make.

I’m also struggling tbh. Your contributions in this thread read as though you’ve come on a thread about building an MFT table, purely to be salty about MFT tables and tell people they don’t need them.

And the same reductive argument could be made about most pieces of equipment in a workshop. (Why use a pillar drill when you can just use a combi drill, why use a combi drill when hand drills work just fine… )

The reason most users who opt for an MFT table do so, is the ease and speed at which 90 degree and 45 degree cuts can be set up. Sure we can pineapple about with a ruler and a square every time so we don’t need an MFT, but then you don’t need most of the tools you use, they just make things easier.

So I guess unless your point is just coming in the thread to throw shade, then I’m also missing the point you’re trying to make.
You have captured the modus operandi of Jacob perfectly.

If you really want to prod the beast with a stick state that an MFT torsion box bench is essential to set up a sharpening guide.

You have captured the modus operandi of Jacob perfectly.

If you really want to prod the beast with a stick state that an MFT torsion box bench is essential to set up a sharpening guide.
No it's just that it seems to be a bit of a fad and basically an expensive solution to a non existent problem.

If we are honest we don't need a cordless drill but use one to make life easier, the worktop with 20mm holes is just the same but a lot more variants. I could not really see the point of the MFT at one point, taking a view that you don't want holes in a bucket so why in a workbench top. Having watched many videos and read many discussions I saw that it had potential, keeping things square being very useful during assembly. For me watching a video where the top had the Matchfit dovetail slots inbetween the 20mm holes made everything fall into place, now you would have alignment and clamping at any angle. Only one other issue I did not want, that is crawling around under the workbench looking for things that have fallen through the holes, easy fix was not to put the holes into the worktop but use sacrificial tops that sit on top of the workbench. From here it grew, I now have a vertical apron on the woodrat with 20mm holes and dovetail slots, and the same on a workbench so once you start the ideas come along to make other task much easier.

I’m sure some people made the same argument about electric drills when they came out 😉
Hmm, not as I recall! Wild enthusiasm for the latest Black & Decker with all the add ons! Exchange and Mart essential reading.
I was probably one of the last people to buy a star drill as I thought they'd still come in handy, on site etc. but hardly used it. Probably in a box somewhere, nothing gets chucked away in this house. How to Hand Drill Holes in Stone and Concrete - Core77

Hmm, not as I recall! Wild enthusiasm for the latest Black & Decker with all the add ons! Exchange and Mart essential reading.
I was probably one of the last people to buy a star drill as I thought they'd still come in handy, on site etc. but hardly used it. Probably in a box somewhere, nothing gets chucked away in this house. How to Hand Drill Holes in Stone and Concrete - Core77
You may well have approved of electric drills back then, as may the overwhelming majority of other people, but I bet there would have been one or two old duffers moaning about how they were unnecessary; a fad, and expensive.

Which seems to be the trend of this thread, the majority are in favour of MFT’s and can see their virtues, but there is an outlier who complains that they are a fad, and unnecessary, and expensive. 🙃

Times change, usually for the better

If we are honest we don't need a cordless drill but use one to make life easier, the worktop with 20mm holes is just the same but a lot more variants. I could not really see the point of the MFT at one point, taking a view that you don't want holes in a bucket so why in a workbench top. Having watched many videos and read many discussions I saw that it had potential, keeping things square being very useful during assembly. For me watching a video where the top had the Matchfit dovetail slots inbetween the 20mm holes made everything fall into place, now you would have alignment and clamping at any angle. Only one other issue I did not want, that is crawling around under the workbench looking for things that have fallen through the holes, easy fix was not to put the holes into the worktop but use sacrificial tops that sit on top of the workbench. From here it grew, I now have a vertical apron on the woodrat with 20mm holes and dovetail slots, and the same on a workbench so once you start the ideas come along to make other task much easier.
I too shared your gripe about 'stuff' falling through holes in my MFT and then I bought a handful of plugs from BenchDogs and the problem went away !

https://benchdogs.co.uk/products/mft-plugs-magnetic-stainless-steel

Back