Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This months club competition was something you can use in the kitchen so I went for an Ash mortar & pestle, textured parts are finished with Rubio monocoat teak blue oil the rest with their pure oil.

View attachment 180115
I'm working on a quilted maple box at present and I wanted to use some form of colour so the grain was still visible. I'm looking forward to doing some research on the full range of colours availabe.I

Thanks for the inspiration from your stunningly beautiful design and execution.
Did you seal the ash that was not coloured, prior to adding the team blue oil? That's a beautiful colour combination
Fred
Doug. Could you provide a link to a supplier please ?

Last edited:
My latest exercise one cypree log to four bowls sanded and sealed.View attachment 180100View attachment 180101View attachment 180102View attachment 180103View attachment 180104not as nice as birch 😉
Hi Pat, always handy to have these small utility bowls kicking around. I' m quite amazed at the absence of any radial cracking with the pith included on all four bowls. Mind you I have noticed a similar absence in the Leylandii (Cypress) pieces I have turned over the years, where the pith was present.

I was kindly given some lovely London plane pen blanks from Phil a while ago. Finally got round to using them this week. I just used melamine gloss lacquer, buffed and then carnauba wax.
The pink one is a resin and wood blank I bought from Axminster in 2021. The tubes are Beaufort ink mistral/leveche, not decided which kits/coulours to get.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm working on a quilted maple box at present and I wanted to use some form of colour so the grain was still visible. I'm looking forward to doing some research on the full range of colours availabe.I

Thanks for the inspiration from your stunningly beautiful design and execution.
Did you seal the ash that was not coloured, prior to adding the team blue oil? That's a beautiful colour combination
Fred
Doug. Could you provide a link to a supplier please ?
Thanks for your kind words Fred, nothing was sealed before the application of the blue oil or the clear oil I merely burnt grooves with a wire to stop the finish passing up the grain & also put frog tap above the grooves more to stop my fingers contaminating the clear area when applying the blue oil.

Both oils came direct from Rubio Monocoat https://rubiomonocoat.co.uk/oil-plu...zTqtpxZTIvW5u35L5PxrVqC843fwLtEEaAoUiEALw_wcB
It’s rather expensive stuff but was over from a previous job.

Thanks for your kind words Fred, nothing was sealed before the application of the blue oil or the clear oil I merely burnt grooves with a wire to stop the finish passing up the grain & also put frog tap above the grooves more to stop my fingers contaminating the clear area when applying the blue oil.

Both oils came direct from Rubio Monocoat https://rubiomonocoat.co.uk/oil-plus-2c?utm_device=c&network=g&network=g&agid=130363665072&ap=&aoi=&ci=15284531402&cre=562148040185&fid=&lop=1007138&ma=e&mo=&pl=&ti=kwd-19074959623&utm_campaign=SG-Branded&utm_term=rubio monocoat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&hsa_acc=2495576372&hsa_cam=15284531402&hsa_grp=130363665072&hsa_ad=562148040185&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-19074959623&hsa_kw=rubio monocoat&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_qexBhCoARIsAFgBletCUkqHomZjkeKa3JE1lG8zTqtpxZTIvW5u35L5PxrVqC843fwLtEEaAoUiEALw_wcB
It’s rather expensive stuff but was over from a previous job.
Hi Doug B
Thank you very much. I'm extremely grateful for you reply
Fred

They're gorgeous 😍, I love birch, the spalting can be amazing, sometimes just subtle shades and others full on colour changes, I keep most of mine on the concrete floor of the workshop, it seems to colour up better that way than being on the shelving.
Do you think that may be because of greater tempreture variations from the floor rather than the stable atmospherics from being on a shelf?

Long story short a little lady brought us an ice cream when on holiday a few years back. As she's visiting Marck with her husband this weekend I've made this as a thank you gift. The bowl red cedar candle holder cypree and beech for the smelly stick holder. View attachment 180217View attachment 180218View attachment 180219View attachment 180220View attachment 180221View attachment 180222View attachment 180223View attachment 180224View attachment 180225

Back