Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeddedhed":1x1k88pu said:
Just delivered this bathroom mirror cabinet in American Black Walnut. Customer very pleased. Result.

4abb1879a0ccf61c5c3f407f4fc0556c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice work

Is this the one you mention in the other thread that you have sold lots of?

cgarry":z5xn3bqn said:
After many weeks of practice, I finally joined two bits of scrap oak together without being too unhappy with the result!

And here is the same joint with some of its more ugly predecessors.

I am definitely still learning this particular skill, but hopefully I have made most of my share of bad dovetails so that I might now be able to make a few good ones. I suppose I should come up with a project that has some dovetails in it...

Cheers,
Chris

Yoh'm doin' oaright ah kid! (hammer)

Beau":2cszxju1 said:
Zeddedhed":2cszxju1 said:
Just delivered this bathroom mirror cabinet in American Black Walnut. Customer very pleased. Result.

4abb1879a0ccf61c5c3f407f4fc0556c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice work

Is this the one you mention in the other thread that you have sold lots of?

It certainly is Beau. Although this one was made of ABW as opposed to Oak, so it sold for about 25% more.

It's not complicated or clever, and could be made by any decent carpenter with a few tools. But it helps pay the bills.

Little knock down workbench

0075E242-9F71-4D15-AB19-A3746598511C-477-000000D3CD414819.jpg

It started life as a stand for my ML4 lathe. Then when I moved the ML4 to another bench, this one got converted into a potting bench. Then SWMBO took up wood turning and once again this was used as a lathe stand. Finally she upgraded to a bigger lathe and the stand became surplus again. We decided that this would make a handy knock down bench for when my siblings give me DIY jobs :hammer:

ColeyS1":eil1tun5 said:
n0legs":eil1tun5 said:
:arrow: ColeyS1, that's really cool =D>
Thanks mate. I was gonna do a normal triangle shape run but the wire wasn't wide enough to make it a decent size. In hindsight it'd probably have worked out cheaper to buy new wire instead of making it a odd shape.
Mark, to be honest I hadn't thought about her digging her way out. Everytime I've had a sneaky peak to see what's she's up to there's been a cat sat very close by- if she decides to try and play with pussy cat cat......... :p

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

How about maybe adding some long nails or something to the bottom so that it then makes an underground "cage" should she try to dig. It would have the added benefit of securing it to the ground on windy days.

I like that shape more than the basic triangle though - more elegant. Paint / stain it red with white trim....

heres my effort of a 3 meter x 1.5 meter notice board.

DSCN1062.JPG

DSCN1061.JPG

Making it was quite uneventful, the same cant be said about the installation.....it was emotional!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1062.JPG
    DSCN1062.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN1061.JPG
    DSCN1061.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 254
Made a small octagonal patio table:
20973266725_25f1a83430_b.jpg

21124666142_ae59edd599_b.jpg

Applied stain, I am not sure if this table wouldn't have looked nicer without it and just gone directly to varnish, but oh well I wanted it to fit in with the chairs better, still going to varnish it with Epifanes spar varnish, I'm diluting it 50/50 with mineral spirits to get a rub on finish rather than a brush one:
21248474526_d4ce6f30bf_b.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Dennis,

A very nice job indeed. I better keep it away from SWMBO!

I think you might be right about the stain though. Pine doesn't always take stain very evenly. Have you considered mixing the stain with clear polyurethane (Or whatever varnish you used?) The stain is carried in the finish itself, resulting in a more even colour; so I found. It needs to be a spirit stain of course, and not water based.

HTH.

John

Thanks (to all), those clamps are John Heisz's design btw.

Benchwayze, I use Epifanes spar varnish, it's tung oil and phenolic resin based rather than poly. I read poly while slightly more scratch resistant is not as long lasting outdoors, this brand supposedly comes with a lot of UV blockers and is used for boats and is easier to touch up. I didn't feel I had the time to start experimenting and this varnish was rather expensive.

What I've been wanting to try is using shellac as a sealer before stain as I saw on an episode of the Wood Whisperer but I have none.

11169194_772389462873051_5471600155929759647_o_zpsghd6ptkx.jpg

Another year another nativity scene. Carved the figures from some lime offcuts and made the stable with some offcuts. The background is glass which I painted.

Dennis..

I suppose shellac would be ok as a sealer. It's commonly used as 'knotting', to seal knots, to prevent them bleeding resin through paint finishes. So I have only ever used it in 'spots', wherever there was a knot in pine. We don't call it knotty-pine without reason! :D

monkeybiter":1dujg1t1 said:
That's an attractive nativity scene, looks well made. Did you see my post about the Rutlands carving vice?
Thank you. Yes DTR showed me they had that reduced. I prefer this one he built me personally though as it can take a bit more of a bashing.

https://gracesilverwood.wordpress.com/d ... ving-vice/

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I haven't been on for a while so I thought I'd show you this :-
42lb flatbow in ash

Attachments

• S7002163 (800x240).jpg
    S7002163 (800x240).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 239
  • S7002166 (800x252).jpg
    S7002166 (800x252).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 239
  • S7002165 (800x193).jpg